Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I Know Tesla Has No History of
fixing the date on model years...
BUT,
with an upcoming shutdown of Fremont for reconfig (Front cast, air suspension, etc), it makes sense to sync Fremont and Austin and christen the first front cast MDYs as 2022.

Of course, that does not help me, but I'm thrilled to play the hand I was dealt back in July.
Yeah exactly, the same way you can tell if a Model S Performance has ventilated seats by looking at the model year. The model year, based on features, is relevant info.

Reactions: impastu
BUT,
with an upcoming shutdown of Fremont for reconfig (Front cast, air suspension, etc), it makes sense to sync Fremont and Austin and christen the first front cast MDYs as 2022.

Of course, that does not help me, but I'm thrilled to play the hand I was dealt back in July.

There is an upcoming shutdown of Fremont?

My EDD changed on Friday to 10/18-10/28. No VIN, but will request a delay delivery until the 2022 VINs are available for resale/trade in value.
A word to the wise: you'll be lucky if you can delay just a little bit. Typically, requesting a delay puts your order "on hold", and then when you take it off hold it's like starting over; you're at the back of the line. If you ordered an MYLR you could be looking at springtime.

Then you'll want to wait for 4680, then a new rumored paint formulation, then hey you're only 10 weeks out from 2023 VINs...

I will just cross post this (not mine), but take it with a grain of salt. Someone on Facebook (stop laughing so hard) claims they have an NF VIN. They typed it out. No photo. So yea, skeptical.

Reactions: LucaRiv
A word to the wise: you'll be lucky if you can delay just a little bit. Typically, requesting a delay puts your order "on hold", and then when you take it off hold it's like starting over; you're at the back of the line. If you ordered an MYLR you could be looking at springtime.

Then you'll want to wait for 4680, then a new rumored paint formulation, then hey you're only 10 weeks out from 2023 VINs...
Agree. I dont need a car until Jan so looked into delaying until then. The issue is depending on who you ask the answer changes. One advisor said I would go to back of the line and another said no promises but maybe I would be in the middle .

Agree. I dont need a car until Jan so looked into delaying until then. The issue is depending on who you ask the answer changes. One advisor said I would go to back of the line and another said no promises but maybe I would be in the middle .
I’ve spoken to two advisors about this. The first told me it could take 1-3 months to get matched after releasing the hold. The second said I would not go to the end of the line and since I’ve already been matched, there’s a better chance of being matched again sooner than later. I’ve seen a few posts on this forum and have a neighbor who can vouch for the latter scenario.

Reactions: auger
I’ve spoken to two advisors about this. The first told me it could take 1-3 months to get matched after releasing the hold. The second said I would not go to the end of the line and since I’ve already been matched, there’s a better chance of being matched again sooner than later. I’ve seen a few posts on this forum and have a neighbor who can vouch for the latter scenario.
My experience is more the former scenario. I ordered in mid-May, then went on hold in June after being matched to an MYLR VIN unexpectedly early in mid-June but I couldn't take it due to family travel issues, so I went on hold for about 4 weeks, then took it off hold in mid-July.

As a result I'm still waiting, currretly with an EDD between late October & early November. TBD if that actually happens, but many others who first ordered in mid-July have already taken delivery. So that means I basically went to the end of the line in July.

I'm explaining this not to complain, but to illustrate an example of a complete reset - it happened to me and to many others.

When you come off hold, yes there is certainly a chance you will get a quick VIN match. But there is also a chance you will get a quick VIN match upon first order (as I did). And there is a very good chance you will wait a long time after coming off hold (as I did).

Therefore, I don't think that the process is very predictable in any respect. Most people are waiting a long time for an MYLR, but there are exceptions.Most people go to the end of the line after a hold, but there are exceptions.The SA team almost certainly could institute a system with more consistency and predictability, but there's apparently no incentive to do so.

The only fairly reliable way to get quicker delivery, or to somewhat control the timing, is to order a Performance model. This is perfectly understandable on Tesla's part.

In one sense I'm kind of surprised they aren't going a step further, deliberately building ahead of orders for brand new MYP and M3P so that there are always a few on the lot, ensuring that new customers and long-suffering LR customers could get instant gratification for as little as $7k. But OTOH, maybe they want to protect the idea that Teslas are becoming more reachable as a mass-market car, so they don't want to make it too obvious that you can buy a VIP pass by shelling out several grand. I guess this would be the same reason they don't just jack up all the prices way beyond what they already have; they want to build and keep a loyal long-term customer base and a narket image at the mid-range. I understand that traditional automakers don't like it when their dealers take advantage of tight supply by just charging premiums above MSRP. Those more well-versed in marketing strategy could conment.

Reactions: K-Fresh and impastu
My experience is more the former scenario. I ordered in mid-May, then went on hold in June after being matched to an MYLR VIN unexpectedly early in mid-June but I couldn't take it due to family travel issues, so I went on hold for about 4 weeks, then took it off hold in mid-July.

As a result I'm still waiting, currretly with an EDD between late October & early November. TBD if that actually happens, but many others who first ordered in mid-July have already taken delivery. So that means I basically went to the end of the line in July.

I'm explaining this not to complain, but to illustrate an example of a complete reset - it happened to me and to many others.

When you come off hold, yes there is certainly a chance you will get a quick VIN match. But there is also a chance you will get a quick VIN match upon first order (as I did). And there is a very good chance you will wait a long time after coming off hold (as I did).
Good to know! I haven’t seen the opposite. I also had an unexpected early issue. I’m not in a terrible rush to get the car but I’ll certainly temper my expectations when my hold comes off. Thanks!

Yes, you go to the back of the line and re-enter the order queue when you go into your account and press "I'm Ready." It's essentially creating a whole new order. There's a lot of factors that go into it like your location, your trim(LR or Perf), and if you've filled out all the preliminary information.

For example, I reordered on 9/25 when it said wait times were into November/December, but I'm scheduled to get my car between 10/17 and 10/23 with a VIN, so you just never know for sure.
What did you order and where are you located?

BUT,

Where did you hear this rumor? I can’t find anyone suggesting this.

Air suspension is a rumor. Front castings may be real. There’s drone video showing hundreds if not a couple thousand single front castings on the side of the factory near the train yard. So theoretically a portion of the assembly line may need to be reconfigured for a major new part - theoretically.

Also Fremont has shut down in October for retooling in the past. BUT not always.

Implementation of front castings must require a shutdown of the MDY assembly line. Having two factories in N.A. producing two different MDY LR/P models simultaneously is not desirable.

Given the microscope Tesla is constantly under by us fans, that will not fly for long before buyer turbulence on "where is my Tesla built?" becomes a prerequisite before a sale.

On another front, there has been a definitive "cleave" in delivery time orders between August and September. August orders are arriving before the end of year while I've seen September orders slide to February.

It's simply my opinion that Fremont will need to do some retooling to match Austin. However, I do like my crow both barbequed and oven roasted
😎

Last edited:
Implementation of front castings must require a shutdown of the MDY assembly line. Having two factories in N.A. producing two different MDY LR/P models simultaneously is not desirable.

Given the microscope Tesla is constantly under by us fans, that will not fly for long before buyer turbulence on "where is my Tesla built?" becomes a prerequisite before a sale.

On another front, there has been a definitive "cleave" in delivery time orders between August and September. August orders are arriving before the end of year while I've seen September orders slide to February.

It's simply my opinion that Fremont will need to do some retooling to match Austin. However, I do like my crow both barbequed and oven roasted
😎
Sounds like they'll retool freemont in December and January and have Austin carry the load for a bit. I wonder if I should push my delivery. My EDD is November. I really want the new headlight on my LR but I don't want the new seat design from Europe. I ordered an MYLR White on White 5 seater, no hitch. I wonder if tesla will allow us to purchase the new headlights in the future and ensure that we can get updates for when the time comes for directional light functions. Sigh. Problems. Lol.

Sounds like they'll retool freemont in December and January and have Austin carry the load for a bit. I wonder if I should push my delivery. My EDD is November. I really want the new headlight on my LR but I don't want the new seat design from Europe. I ordered an MYLR White on White 5 seater, no hitch. I wonder if tesla will allow us to purchase the new headlights in the future and ensure that we can get updates for when the time comes for directional light functions. Sigh. Problems. Lol.
I think all MYPs will be produced in Fremont. Read that somewhere.

No.