Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5YJ = Tesla, Inc., for Model S/3
7SA = Tesla, MPV, for Model X/Y
I’m still confused. The 5th digit is G which is Tesla’s new designation for the Y, Multi Purpose Vehicle (mpv).
My original Roadster VIN also starts with 5YJ.
According to Electrek all Tesla’s made in the US start with 5YJ,

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
Not sure what you are seeing but there are literally posts mins/hours before yours.

To answer, yes a lot of people have gotten 22 VINs. There are no differences.
For some reason I was only able to see the first page of the thread when I got on. Also as a new member on the forum I couldn't delete or edit my post once I was able to access the later pages in the thread.

It will be interesting to see when the first members receive VINs indicating their Model Y will be built at the Austin TX Gigafactory (i.e., 11th character in the VIN will not be 'F'). My guess is it will be mid to late Dec. before the first VIN notification messages showing Austin as the place of manufacture. I have a MY LR on order with an estimated delivery window of mid-Feb. to mid-Mar. I will probably ask to push this back by 90 days once I receive the VIN in order to increase my chance of getting a "refreshed" version coming from Austin.

I’m still confused. The 5th digit is G which is Tesla’s new designation for the Y, Multi Purpose Vehicle (mpv).
Got it. I wonder why the change?

Your linked thread is almost 2 years old . New VIN prefix started in Nov ‘21.

Try this one. VIN Decoder – TeslaTap

For some reason I was only able to see the first page of the thread when I got on. Also as a new member on the forum I couldn't delete or edit my post once I was able to access the later pages in the thread.

It will be interesting to see when the first members receive VINs indicating their Model Y will be built at the Austin TX Gigafactory (i.e., 11th character in the VIN will not be 'F'). My guess is it will be mid to late Dec. before the first VIN notification messages showing Austin as the place of manufacture. I have a MY LR on order with an estimated delivery window of mid-Feb. to mid-Mar. I will probably ask to push this back by 90 days once I receive the VIN in order to increase my chance of getting a "refreshed" version coming from Austin.
I think you’re being optomistic about cars rolling off the line in TX this year. That being said, I have a Mid Dec EDD for and MY so it would be damn cool to get one off the TX line with the castings front and rear. Nothing else will be different as I understand it. 4680’ are a year out at best

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
I think you’re being optomistic about cars rolling off the line in TX this year. That being said, I have a Mid Dec EDD for and MY so it would be damn cool to get one off the TX line with the castings front and rear. Nothing else will be different as I understand it. 4680’ are a year out at best
While I think we may see cars roll off the line in Austin this year, from what I read, these will be QA and test vehicles. From the first off the line to cars for the end user can be 3-4 months. I am sure there is some sort of certification that do and tweak after the first ones are produced.

While I think we may see cars roll off the line in Austin this year, from what I read, these will be QA and test vehicles. From the first off the line to cars for the end user can be 3-4 months. I am sure there is some sort of certification that do and tweak after the first ones are produced.
Test and QA (i.e., pre-production) MYs started being produced back 2+ months ago and Elon and other Tesla reps have said production would begin by the end of 2021 with deliveries starting in early 2022. It's my understanding that crash tests have already been done using the pre-production MY's. I do believe there is a fair change a few customers will take delivery of Austin built MY's by the end of Jan. 2022. Of course, the number of MY's being produced in Austin will be low at first with a gradual ramp-up during 2022. Also Elon said some time ago that the TX factory would be supplying vehicles for the eastern USA while Fremont will supply the western USA.

Test and QA (i.e., pre-production) MYs started being produced back 2+ months ago and Elon and other Tesla reps have said production would begin by the end of 2021 with deliveries starting in early 2022. It's my understanding that crash tests have already been done using the pre-production MY's. I do believe there is a fair change a few customers will take delivery of Austin built MY's by the end of Jan. 2022. Of course, the number of MY's being produced in Austin will be low at first with a gradual ramp-up during 2022. Also Elon said some time ago that the TX factory would be supplying vehicles for the eastern USA while Fremont will supply the western USA.
Hope yourare right. I’d love one from the new factory

I see from the nhtsa.dot web site (link below) the 2022 Tesla VIN will have the 11th character as an "A" if assembled in Austin TX vs. a "F" if assembled in Fremont. For Model Y LR models the VIN will start off with: 7SAYGDEE. For the Model Y Performance the VIN will start off with: 7SAYGDEF. The 9th character is assigned by Tesla while the 10th character is "N" for the model year 2022.

Link: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/c11fdc1d-eee9-482d-a39b-13e238d92986

Suppose to take delivery performance Y next week contemplating selling to Carmax right after delivery
Well, you’ll make someone with more money than sense very happy. I’m incredulous at the prices being paid for these cars with 20,30 even 40k miles. Hell, I can’t believe what tesla is offering for my trade.

What do ya figure you stand to make if you do that…. 10-12k… Nuts!

I see from the nhtsa.dot web site (link below) the 2022 Tesla VIN will have the 11th character as an "A" if assembled in Austin TX vs. a "F" if assembled in Fremont. For Model Y LR models the VIN will start off with: 7SAYGDEE. For the Model Y Performance the VIN will start off with: 7SAYGDEF. The 9th character is assigned by Tesla while the 10th character is "N" for the model year 2022.

Link: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/c11fdc1d-eee9-482d-a39b-13e238d92986
Digit 8
A - single motor - standard/performance 3. Rear wheel drive performance 3? Bringing back the LR RWD 3 with performance option?

D - single motor - standard/performance Y. Same comment as the 3!