Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 3.0 Battery Upgrade Failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have begun to document a new decline in the first 3.0 ESS Main Battery Packs.
Roadsters begin losing punch and power, and eventually decline to undriveable.
We are finding cells with increasingly higher impedance, with brick voltage drops during 100% throttle calls.

This video documents our findings -

We are working with Tesla Roadster Engineering, who are validating our findings and conclusions with two Roadsters at the Tempe AZ Service Center.

We have begun to document a new decline in the first 3.0 ESS Main Battery Packs.
Roadsters begin losing punch and power, and eventually decline to undriveable.
We are finding cells with increasingly higher impedance, with brick voltage drops during 100% throttle calls.

This video documents our findings -

We are working with Tesla Roadster Engineering, who are validating our findings and conclusions with two Roadsters at the Tempe AZ Service Center.
Thanks for sharing!
Are you not able to isolate and eliminate the compromised cells to protect the remaining “good” cells in the brick?
Is this a premature “programmed battery cell death” given the numbers and timing of ESS affected?

We are used to seeing single cell failures which result in declining range after each charge, sometimes so severe, the decline results in a few miles range lost after every charge which of course is the BSM kicking in and limiting charging due to a growing brick voltage delta. These cars do not lack power, just range.

This new symptom allows the car to charge just fine, but a growing cell impedance no longer allows the cells to deliver amperage or power, and it is not isolated to one cell or brick.

Racevpr: do you need more data on range loss and decreased CAC on -2016, 3.0 battery pack?

I have one that started range loss after a few years and slowly decreased to a Standard charge of 180. It stayed there for several months but now goes to 170-172. I keep it plugged in on 110v ( yellow cable) now and OVMS reports c standard charge to 80%, sometimes 83 or 85% but charge range never over 172. It’s been stable for last 10 months or so….CAC is 155 at last reading ( was around 200 at first). No loss of power that I can feel