Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 40kWH delivery notice or email - who will it be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is you get pushed back (again), did you change your config? Being P4408, you should be done a week before me. Both my wife's car and mine are EOL 5/20/2013. Both are air, pano, leather, but she is white and I'm blue, so the batching (by color) means nothing here.

Chuck, I don't think the numbers matter anymore. My guess is that the color (green) is a primary driver. Also, delivery location could make a difference. If I was managing TM, I'd place a lot of weight on loading full trucks and getting the cars delivered. That translates to cash flow which is important. I've learned to be patient, enjoy the blogs, and wait my turn. Tonight, a Murphy's Stout or two may help.

Frankly, my irritation level is on the rise . . . once again! After having 2 recent emails from Elon Musk and a 45 minute phone conversation with George Blankenship, I was told by a rep yesterday that "they are getting ready" to send the "40kWh" orders to the factory. Really!!! He even ask me if I had heard about them using the 60kWh batteries with the limiting software. Really!!! Then he asked if I was going to stay with the 40kWh range. Really!!! This still feels like Tesla is trying to "bait and switch" us to extract more money. I've have heard that red cars are being delivered now. Cars with standard suspension are being delivered now but customers who ordered the 40kWh have nothing. Nada. Talk about the new emphasis on customer service . . .

If this post seems a bit direct it might be due to the fact that I put my money down for a Model S in August of 2009! Really!!!

Frankly, my irritation level is on the rise . . . once again! After having 2 recent emails from Elon Musk and a 45 minute phone conversation with George Blankenship, I was told by a rep yesterday that "they are getting ready" to send the "40kWh" orders to the factory. Really!!! He even ask me if I had heard about them using the 60kWh batteries with the limiting software. Really!!! Then he asked if I was going to stay with the 40kWh range.

I've done my fair share of software upgrades on complex systems. It's very apparent that Tesla only recently made the decision to develop the range limiting software patch. Tesla software engineers must determine the requirements for the software, design it, code it, test it and regression test it.

This software may only be about 500-1000 source lines of code, but even this still may require 30-60 days from start to finish to complete, depending on how it's implemented. As a customer, it's in your best interest that Tesla doesn't rush it - we don't want software bugs discovered post-delivery.

Frankly, my irritation level is on the rise . . . once again! After having 2 recent emails from Elon Musk and a 45 minute phone conversation with George Blankenship, I was told by a rep yesterday that "they are getting ready" to send the "40kWh" orders to the factory. Really!!! He even ask me if I had heard about them using the 60kWh batteries with the limiting software. Really!!! Then he asked if I was going to stay with the 40kWh range. Really!!! This still feels like Tesla is trying to "bait and switch" us to extract more money. I've have heard that red cars are being delivered now. Cars with standard suspension are being delivered now but customers who ordered the 40kWh have nothing. Nada. Talk about the new emphasis on customer service . . .

If this post seems a bit direct it might be due to the fact that I put my money down for a Model S in August of 2009! Really!!!

I understand why you are frustrated but agree that it may simply be related to recent decision to do this all in software. George may simply have asked about the 60kWh version in order to get you the car quicker since you have waited so long. 45 min on the phone with a VP of any big company is impressive and should give you some indication of how much they care about customer service. Your patience will be rewarded with a great car I hope.

I can imagine how frustrated you must be. I put my res in Nov 2012 and hate seeing so many people who are willing/able to spend more receive their cars so much more quickly than us. If I had to wait over 3 years, I'd be just as upset as you! Hopefully Tesla at least gives you the first 40kwh off the line!

If this post seems a bit direct it might be due to the fact that I put my money down for a Model S in August of 2009! Really!!![/QUOTE]

I've done my fair share of software upgrades on complex systems. It's very apparent that Tesla only recently made the decision to develop the range limiting software patch. Tesla software engineers must determine the requirements for the software, design it, code it, test it and regression test it.

This software may only be about 500-1000 source lines of code, but even this still may require 30-60 days from start to finish to complete, depending on how it's implemented. As a customer, it's in your best interest that Tesla doesn't rush it - we don't want software bugs discovered post-delivery.

Ship the car now and update the firmware later like Tesla is doing on all the other outstanding bugs and features.

I still remember standing in line to purchase the original iPhone. It took another year before the software was good enough to be considered usable, plus Apple dropped the price $100 and I got store credit for the difference. Early adoption sure is risky business!