Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 48 hours w/AWD (tl;dr: Blown Away!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey!

Let's talk AWD m3.

What I thought: "It'll be like my friends rwd but quicker".

What I got: "Holy *sugar* does it punch above it's price tag!!".

Picked mine up from Tampa, Saturday afternoon (a week earlier then expected). No muss, no fuss. Guy asked me if i had any questions, told him I already knew everything (humble me) about the car so he just handed me the keys/box/thing and shook my hand. (just the way i wanted it) quick/easy and lets him help others or chill.

*Got the blue w/ultra white interior. Gotta say, SOOO F-ing glad i waited for white interior (whole reason i got AWD). The stark contrast is something you have to see in person. (my pics don't begin to show the brilliance).

Took about 15 minutes to go through every setting (AP +5, mirrors, seats, named it "Ol'Musky" from the Onion article, etc) and was ready to break this bad boy in, so went to the nearest supercharger to make it official. Talked with some other owners, surprisingly they thought it was an S.

The feel:

I've driven every Tesla version (even a rare signature P90 tesla loaner), some a few times but never owned a Tesla before this. Current stable is an i3 (rex) and a beater 2nd gen Prius (my work truck). So my first feeling was how soft the seats were, supportive, not too soft, but like a foam mattress where the first inch is super soft before the hard stuff kicks in. (just had my coworker sit in it and he says the seats feel just like his black ones)
Second feeling was, damn, being 6'5 makes this car seem small, until i moved the seat almost all the way back, then it felt fitted. Driving it reminded me of how a MX P100D feels after driving a MS P100D: powerful, solid/heavy, in control, but not neck snapping. Didn't gun it much, oddly enough b/c i knew it had the power, so nothing to prove.

IMO not worth 1 second to 60 for the extra price of a P, but at those levels you have the $$$ and 20k means something different to someone in my position.

The reactions:

I'm a millennial (looks like lots of m3 owners are) but lots of my friends skew <30 and were super excited for me to get it, they loved the big "like a Macbook Pro" screen and knew about it being "self driving" or something like that.
Everyone has loved the blue/white combo, they all ask if it stains easily. They're biggest surprise is they don't even notice that the roof is glass, so everytime they sit in it I tell them to look up "oooooohh sweet!!".

Those that have driven it/in it say it's crazy fast and love it. Also find AP to be spooky and crazy cool.

The takeaway:

I knew I'd love it. Knew it'd feel normal quickly but surprised how normal it felt driving after just a few hours, had to pinch myself. I grin every time i creep out into the road and gently, powerfully accelerate without fanfair. I've told people "it's like the car does everything behind the scene's and you get to just enjoy the journey, not "drive" so much as "guide" the car to your destination."

Most impressive/lasting takeaway: EAP. Wow. I had no clue it's come this far. It's not perfect but I've yet to have it hiccup on an actual highway. I use EAP everywhere I can and monitor it just like in my i3. Constantly impressed at how smooth and non-drama enducing it is. I can't wait to see what it grows into and what v9+ brings, let alone FSD (got that too).

Some people complain about FSD not being here yet, and maybe i'll complain once i'm a veteran Tesla owner sitting on my paid-for-intellectual-property, but until then, from a newby, this car is amazing. Car 2.0. And the only feature I'd say everyone should get is EAP.

*Drove about 400 miles this weekend, 18 aero's, no aero caps, 47psi, hwy @ 75-77mpg and averaging 287 whpm.

Cheers! (Time to hit the road and clean the bugs off the nose, oh joy!) Also AMA!

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

My middle school and high school kids think Tesla’s are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Same goes for all their friends. The brand recognition is amazing for a company that doesn’t advertise.

The following among kids is probably the most remarkable thing about Tesla.

It's kinda funny because I don't really see it the kind of car one would hang up a poster of. Unless it's the 2020 Roadster of course.

So why do so many kids love Tesla? Is it from YouTube? Or is it from the kid who's dad/mom drives a Tesla, and then the other kids get to experience riding in it occasionally?

I'm not even a parent, and I occasionally overhear some kids talking about Tesla. The last time was kids telling their parents they should get a Tesla.

I wonder how many parents were resistant to Tesla, but ended up getting a Tesla because their pesky kids couldn't shut up about it. Kinda like buying a product without realizing you're buying it because you keep hearing the name.

Reactions: Gouldness
Not sure how to quote everyone and reply without taking out a whole page reply.

1: White highlights anything that's not white, so any hair, spec no matter how small. (keep a microfiber towel in reach at all times).
2: 70k exactly after the "truth in lending" totals, partially subsidized by an investment and partially by my work (sort've like a X$/mo for a work car + free charging) so that is the only reason why i could swing it. My previous car was a stretch (i3Rex) at 25k. So babying this one.
3: I'd say kids like it b/c they know what's up. My tween/teen nieces know that marketing is BS, all that glitters is make up or fake and they want to do altruistic things when they grow up, i think they just "get it" as soon as they hear of Tesla's mission.
4: @nospam4chris lets meetup, i'm just north of you in Brooksville. DM me.
5: I'm 6'5 so I'm now realizing that getting in and out of the 3 is just as cumbersome as the model S, but the X was nice from what i can remember, so only sell the X if you want something newer, more efficient/longer range and quicker. The AWD is crazy fast, makes me sick after a few prolonged stabs.
6: Day 3, given 3 test drives to friends, they make quite a bit less then me and even they're trying to figure out how to swing a 35k standard 3 when it gets made. This car is an amazing eye opener.

Not sure how to quote everyone and reply without taking out a whole page reply.

1: White highlights anything that's not white, so any hair, spec no matter how small. (keep a microfiber towel in reach at all times).
2: 70k exactly after the "truth in lending" totals, partially subsidized by an investment and partially by my work (sort've like a X$/mo for a work car + free charging) so that is the only reason why i could swing it. My previous car was a stretch (i3Rex) at 25k. So babying this one.
3: I'd say kids like it b/c they know what's up. My tween/teen nieces know that marketing is BS, all that glitters is make up or fake and they want to do altruistic things when they grow up, i think they just "get it" as soon as they hear of Tesla's mission.
4: @nospam4chris lets meetup, i'm just north of you in Brooksville. DM me.
5: I'm 6'5 so I'm now realizing that getting in and out of the 3 is just as cumbersome as the model S, but the X was nice from what i can remember, so only sell the X if you want something newer, more efficient/longer range and quicker. The AWD is crazy fast, makes me sick after a few prolonged stabs.
6: Day 3, given 3 test drives to friends, they make quite a bit less then me and even they're trying to figure out how to swing a 35k standard 3 when it gets made. This car is an amazing eye opener.

What's your VIN sequence? The fit/finish of your car looks great and I'd like to compare your VIN series to the one I am getting that is exact same config as yours.

Makes me wish I didn't edit my config from AWD/White Interior at the last minute. It looks great. But it was hard for me to justify the $5500 I was paying for that white interior. The AWD is a nice little boost, but wholly unnecessary here in Texas. Looks good, glad you're enjoying it. I finally pick mine up this weekend (I think)

Reactions: Gouldness
What's your VIN sequence? The fit/finish of your car looks great and I'd like to compare your VIN series to the one I am getting that is exact same config as yours.

Only thing i've seen that's slightly off is the driver side rear door window trim is like an 1/8th off from the trim behind it. So i'll have them adjust that whenever i do a service visit in the future.

Reactions: voip-ninja

Only thing i've seen that's slightly off is the driver side rear door window trim is like an 1/8th off from the trim behind it. So i'll have them adjust that whenever i do a service visit in the future.

Sweet! There's a spanking new white on white one that just showed up in the parking garage where I work that is only 1000 serial #s ahead of mine (his is 9998xx and mine is 998XX) and I couldn't see anything to complain about with it.

The white on white combo looks amazing and if I didn't already have a white car it was my other choice than blue on white.

Delta is now 9K to go from AWD to P.

1 second faster at 4.5 0-60 is expensive for anyone. Look at M3, ZL1 Corvette, C63 AMG, etc.

Not really a straight comparison. There aren't any other examples I can think of where getting 1 second faster is the only thing you get for your $9,000 or so bucks.

In most manufacturers lineups the higher performance versions at a minimum have significant cosmetic modifications that go hand in hand with the more powerful engine, better transmission, etc. They usually always have suspension tweaks and other things.

I do have to hand it to Tesla though, they seem to have a lot of takers on the P version and that $9,000 is pretty much pure profit to them.

I'm holding out a tiny glimmer of hope that they might uncork both the P and AWD versions a little later as in the case of the AWD at least it's not much (any) faster than the stuff the Germans are producing in the segment at similar or even lower prices.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: jrc0yne and MXWing