Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First accident + hit and run + potential damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I just purchased my model s 90d a couple of months ago and last week I got into an accident (F%$#^G?!!@#K!...this is me cursing!). I was driving on a surface street and, after stopping at an intersection, I got hit from behind by a small truck. The truck hit me so hard that my Tesla (not a light car, as you know) was propelled forward by about 6 feet and bumped into an SUV in front of me. At this point, the SUV driver got out of her car to make sure everyone was ok and suggested we pull over to get out of the way of incoming traffic...the right thing to do. Well...next thing I know the SUV behind me zipped across the intersection (almost causing another accident) and disappeared before I was able to write down the licence plate info. And at this point it hit me (no pun intended): "Now I have thousands of $$$ worth of damage and I even have to write the check"...or at least I thought. I got out of my car to assess the situation and...nothing...niente...nada...not even a single scratch on my vehicle! How is it possible? I have been driving for almost 25 years and have been in minor accidents before. An impact like that should have at least shattered the rear bumper. I still cannot believe that nothing happened. Although this is proof that the model s is built like a tank from WW2, it is also a hi-tech vehicle that uses a multitude of sensors and other electronic components. Based on your experience and/or knowledge should I bring my model s for an inspection? I am thinking about enabling the autopilot function and would like to confirm that my car is 100% functional. Any comments suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Drapoli*

This is why I will never drive another mile without my dual channel BlackVue.

Really sorry that happened. At least insurance will cover it but man that's goto irk you. I'd be boiling. Is the intersection near any businesses that have cameras? Does the intersection have cameras mounted on the cross beams? They're often small and you might not notice them unless looking for them.

Absolutely get your car checked out. There can be invisible damage. In particular, bumpers can contain consumable shock absorbers which may have been squished even without obvious external damage. You wouldn't want to find out that they've stopped doing their job because you get hit again and they no longer function.

Sorry this happened to you, and I hope the damage is as minor as it looks!

@drapoli, really sorry to hear about your accident.

As for rear cameras: In New Mexico cars are not required to have front license plates. So while I agree on the front and back BlackVue notion, there are limits to what a rear camera might've captured if that hit-and-run driver was from NM or another state with rear-only plate laws.

That said, I wish Tesla would offer a Security Package -- four cameras, front + left + right + rear, always recording, stored to a removable terabyte drive, timestamped HD video with other data like GPS all in the data stream.

@drapoli, really sorry to hear about your accident.

As for rear cameras: In New Mexico cars are not required to have front license plates. So while I agree on the front and back BlackVue notion, there are limits to what a rear camera might've captured if that hit-and-run driver was from NM or another state with rear-only plate laws.

That said, I wish Tesla would offer a Security Package -- four cameras, front + left + right + rear, always recording, stored to a removable terabyte drive, timestamped HD video with other data like GPS all in the data stream.

I second this, the compressed vid couldn't take up more space than required to save a few good days of 24/7 video that can be overwritten until (tagged) ie, press a button or something that marks the last x time as unerasable then can be downloaded. kind of like my cheapy cam from walmart, it records 3 min intervals, overlapping. onto a 64gb sd card that when I click a button will mark that video to not be overwritten and I can download all the videos from the sd card.

This is why I will never drive another mile without my dual channel BlackVue.

Really sorry that happened. At least insurance will cover it but man that's goto irk you. I'd be boiling. Is the intersection near any businesses that have cameras? Does the intersection have cameras mounted on the cross beams? They're often small and you might not notice them unless looking for them.

I have a dual cam blackvue and I like the video quality etc.

However one has to understand that dash cams record front and back and not the sides and if someone T bones you running a red light etc...nothing will be on the camera. That is the greatest disappointment.

However one has to understand that dash cams record front and back and not the sides and if someone T bones you running a red light etc...nothing will be on the camera. That is the greatest disappointment.

Sure you won't have their picture/plate on video, but the front camera should show that you were going through a green light...

Not to mention you would have the information from the person behind you, if any, as a witness. (In case they didn't stick around.)

Last edited:
Sure you won't have their picture/plate on video, but the front camera should show that you were going through a green light...

Not to mention you would have the information from the person behind you, if any, as a witness. (In case they didn't stick around.)

except the video of you going through... a green light lol. then getting smashed.

Cameras are great until you are the one at fault or they are used against you.

If a person is a safe driver then there is nothing to worry about. If someone frequently run red rights and then dash cam would not be an option for them.

I was not intimidated in buying a dash cam...I was thrilled to buy one.. but when a deer T boned me ...I understood that having front and rear dash cam won't help...one needs more than front and rear dash cams

- - - Updated - - -

If you're at fault, you should man up and avoid insurance fraud.

Yes to this

I've been saying this for years. It seems unfathomable now that Tesla doesn't offer this already as part of their AP hardware (using the AP cameras).

Last year a lady hit the back of my car, very minor damage but she took off so I called 911 and followed her. It was pretty cool watching so many cops chasing her down...made for a very exciting Christmas story. Gotta love the Corvallis Police Dept and Oregon State Police. Not good to hit a relative of a state rep:wink:

She messed with a wrong guy :smile:

Miss Portland after seeing the pictures...lived there for 3 yrs

Hi,
I just purchased my model s 90d a couple of months ago and last week I got into an accident (F%$#^G?!!@#K!...this is me cursing!). I was driving on a surface street and, after stopping at an intersection, I got hit from behind by a small truck. The truck hit me so hard that my Tesla (not a light car, as you know) was propelled forward by about 6 feet and bumped into an SUV in front of me. At this point, the SUV driver got out of her car to make sure everyone was ok and suggested we pull over to get out of the way of incoming traffic...the right thing to do. Well...next thing I know the SUV behind me zipped across the intersection (almost causing another accident) and disappeared before I was able to write down the licence plate info. And at this point it hit me (no pun intended): "Now I have thousands of $$$ worth of damage and I even have to write the check"...or at least I thought. I got out of my car to assess the situation and...nothing...niente...nada...not even a single scratch on my vehicle! How is it possible? I have been driving for almost 25 years and have been in minor accidents before. An impact like that should have at least shattered the rear bumper. I still cannot believe that nothing happened. Although this is proof that the model s is built like a tank from WW2, it is also a hi-tech vehicle that uses a multitude of sensors and other electronic components. Based on your experience and/or knowledge should I bring my model s for an inspection? I am thinking about enabling the autopilot function and would like to confirm that my car is 100% functional. Any comments suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Drapoli*
I'm sorry to hear that you were the victim of a hit & run. But, I'm glad that your Model S wasn't damaged, especially considering some of the horror stories regarding how long it takes to repair the Model S. Does the SUV driver acknowledge that you were pushed into her car? If so, your insurance should not have to pay for anything (since there's no apparent damage to repair on your car). Since the accident is a hit & run, her insurance should be responsible for paying to the damage on her car.