TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First Annual Service w/ Prepayed Plan

Discussion in 'Model S' started by theLuggage, Jan 3, 2017.

1. theLuggage

theLuggage Member

I just took my Model S 70D in for it's first annual service with about 9,000 miles on the car. I paid for the four year service plan shortly after getting the car a year ago.

When I dropped my car off, they recommended I have the alignment checked for $120 and to have the brakes cleaned and lubed for $80.

Is this common? I certainly wasn't expecting to have to pay anything since I had the four year plan.

Thanks.

2. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

This has been discussed on other threads and the consensus is skip the alignment unless your tires show unusual wear and skip the brake lube unless your calipers are binding :cool:

3. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

In mid-2015, Tesla dropped wheel alignment from what was explicitly covered under an annual service inspection.

The specific language on their website changed from this:
    to this:
    If you bought your prepaid service plan prior to June 2015, they still perform the wheel alignment at no extra charge, per the contract. It sounds like you purchased your 4-year service plan after the point when they made this change.

4. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

The alignment check is supposed to be done as part of the inspection, to determine whether you need an alignment performed. The service plan page specifically calls this out as one of the yearly items:
    AFAIK, the check is basically just for abnormal tread wear, which would indicate that your wheels need to be aligned (at extra charge).

(Off topic: the Luggage is possibly my favorite character/thing in the Discworld series. It always saves the day.)

5. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

And Tesla turns into a traditional stealership, except now one with a monopoly on service.

6. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

These reports are always very discouraging.