Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Annual Service w/ Prepayed Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took my Model S 70D in for it's first annual service with about 9,000 miles on the car. I paid for the four year service plan shortly after getting the car a year ago.

When I dropped my car off, they recommended I have the alignment checked for $120 and to have the brakes cleaned and lubed for $80.

Is this common? I certainly wasn't expecting to have to pay anything since I had the four year plan.

Thanks.

In mid-2015, Tesla dropped wheel alignment from what was explicitly covered under an annual service inspection.

The specific language on their website changed from this:
If wheel alignment is necessary, this will be taken care of during your appointment.
to this:
If wheel alignment is determined necessary, this service can be performed for an additional charge.

If you bought your prepaid service plan prior to June 2015, they still perform the wheel alignment at no extra charge, per the contract. It sounds like you purchased your 4-year service plan after the point when they made this change.

When I dropped my car off, they recommended I have the alignment checked for $120 and to have the brakes cleaned and lubed for $80.
The alignment check is supposed to be done as part of the inspection, to determine whether you need an alignment performed. The service plan page specifically calls this out as one of the yearly items:
Multi point inspection (w/ tire rotation and alignment check)
AFAIK, the check is basically just for abnormal tread wear, which would indicate that your wheels need to be aligned (at extra charge).

(Off topic: the Luggage is possibly my favorite character/thing in the Discworld series. It always saves the day.)