TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

first around the world EV race starts May 2012

Discussion in 'News' started by TRON, Apr 8, 2012.

1. TRON

TRON Member

#1 TRON, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

maybe you can use this Coast to Coast EV record

3. mgemmell

mgemmell Scottish chap

Tron. I am planning a Madrid <-> Aix-En-Provence trip around the same time. We might be able to coincide in Barcelona or along the Coast towards CH.

Any details of the start times and places?

Mark

4. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Good luck to you Rafael. I think there should be no problem catching up to them, as they took over a month to cross the US. Gives new meaning to the phrase "stop and smell the roses". From the pics on their site it seems like they had to charge on 110v a lot. If you bring a tent and sleeping bag you can sleep at campgrounds and charge on 14-50 outlets at least. With a few 70A HPCs along the way you might be able to do 400+ miles some days.

5. roblab

roblab Active Member

In my limited experience, I found that many, many campgrounds that might have 14-50 outlets WILL NOT let you charge at their business. They have read about fires, EVs, blown circuit breakers, burned wiring, and they somehow think that the cost of a charge is similar to a tank of gas ($50) and they refuse. You'd better call before you start your trip and get RV parks that are owned by people who are able to use the internet more than watch Faux TV. I had one owner tell me that they had paid a lot of money to upgrade their pedestals to EATON and did not want them ruined, while on the EATON web site they specifically said that their 14-50s were capable of charging anything at 40 amps continuous, but that did not persuade the owner.

6. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Kinda makes one cry for humanity, no?

I presume this is in California, where we at least try and set the pretense that we 'kinda' teach science? Sigh. As a species, I doubt we will survive the current century.

7. TRON

TRON Member

Hi rolab, thanks for this important information.
    Is there a dictionary of phone numbers which I can filter for Interstate 80 campgrounds to call them in advance?

8. TRON

TRON Member

9. TRON

TRON Member

cool tip with the tent, I will buy a little one to be save against mosquito bites :D

10. TRON

TRON Member

Is there a google map, where you can see the HPCs of the Tesla owners like there is one in Germany?

11. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

12. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Rafael is in final preparations now. He joins the race and leaves Barcelona tomorrow.

I've got to say, this is an incredible undertaking, and congratulations to Rafael for even trying. It will be amazing if he makes it around the world in 80 days in his Tesla Roadster, given the challenges of charging in places like China, Russia and Kazakstan.

Good luck, Rafael, and safe journeys.

13. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

I thought you wanted to follow the other car's route? It seems like a big shortcut not going through Japan and southeast asia as they plan to do:
    electric odyssey map.

Regardless, safe journey!

14. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Progress seems good. Rafael is now in Lyon, France, charging overnight 13A @211V.

His rough proposed route is up at:
    80edays - Google Maps

I'm sure he'd appreciate suggestions, help, and meet ups with any Roadster (or other EV) drivers along his route.

I guess the 'rules' should be to stay as horizontal as possible and drive as much as possible. The French are taking a much more southerly route, then up through Thailand. But, Rafael is still going north in Europe, so I guess its swings-and-roundabouts and it'll be interesting to see the final mileages. Rafael did try to take a more southerly route through Hong Kong, but couldn't get drive through permission, so had to go direct to China. The French have a 2 months and almost 1/3rd of the way round the world head start. But, they don't treat this as a race, so good luck to both teams.

The routes through Europe and USA are impressive, but I think China/Russia is going to be the most 'interesting' for charging infrastructure and language barriers.

15. TRON

TRON Member

HELP! All German insurances denied to insure the Tesla for US! That's a show stopper! Who knows an insurance, who does insure a German Company Tesla?

16. mgemmell

mgemmell Scottish chap

Rafael,
    I spoke to some TV producers here in Spain who make programs about Cars, and they are interested in following your progress. Are you uploading a video blog?
    Mark

17. TRON

TRON Member

Hi Mark, yes there will be videos, but driving this fast I do I don't find the time to upload them. First priority is to find an insurance company, which gives me a coverage for US ...

18. mgemmell

mgemmell Scottish chap

Last time I took out insurance for the US they only wanted to know my personal net worth! ;) Weird country.

If we could organise a phone call or skype video call with the TV guys here that might be a good start. When will you be online and reachable?

19. Senninha

Senninha Member

@Rafael : That is some nasty news, but would not stop a real Phileas Fogg.

Daimler took the B -Class F-Cell around the world in 72 days, excl. flights & shipping (total 125 days incl. drive through Australia and Japan) => 80 days can be done.

Maybe some UK special insurance company that insures stuff like foreign racecars or so is willing to help you out. I know such ones exist. Or maybe import & export
    your Tesla in US ( tax costs....) ?

Good luck and we ll follow you !

Peter Paul K-P ( Bertha Benz Challenge)

BTW : Great vid from BBC 2011 !