Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

first around the world EV race starts May 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent my congratulations to the whole service team (and in particular the Munich team) via an email my service manager which he forwarded on. Might be nice if we all do the same.

Hope to see Rafael in Barcelona when he arrives... looks like the big party and official reception is on the 14th even though he will actually arrive in Spain on the 9th.

Any of you wishing to catch a flight to Barcelona for the 14th could join in. There are worse things to do on a Friday evening than be at a huge party in Barcelona! ;)

That was yesterday:

E5887A28-7B4A-4557-83A8-CF9F33B59EF5-1443-0000025CB62640AB.jpg

Well he'll be back at his very original start point and home base of Barcelona today (9/9) so a circumnavigation is then complete. It looks like he then goes on a mini "Tour de France" to arrive at Strasbourg, the start and end-point of the other circumnavigation (the French team in their iMiev-type vehicle).

-------- Update ------
OK so I assumed he'd go straight to Barcelona from Perpignan (just 194km) but actually he's driving around north eastern Spain and Andorra a bit first! Probably to kill time until the big arrival party on the 14th.

See the first around the world electric car race - 80 electric days - world round trip for details.

Last edited:
Yeah. He's touring around until the party on Friday. I drove to Zaragoza on Monday (10th) and we hung out there.

The cool thing was he was driving around with an HPC in his car (as you do), so he and the technicians cabled it into the hotel (Reina Petronila) and I got my first 70A charge ever. Dude, that's one awesome way to charge! 4 hours later I had gone from zero to a full performance mode charge (386kms ideal - performance puts more in than range IMHO). Extra cool was making the Zaragoza Madrid home trip on that charge (350kms with a 1000m climb and 600m drop). 700kms in one day - my new personal best.

Rafael was saying he needs 6 months to review everything that he has done ... clearly it has been a very intense experience.

Someone in the comments on that post said Team Trev was the first to do it last year but I've never heard of them. Not sure if that one actually completed around the world or not.
Either way, an amazing accomplishment by Rafael.

And there was The Solar Taxi in 2007/8.

Mission Statement

“On 3 July 2007 I set off on my first journey around the world with a solar powered vehicle.

thumb_solartaxidvd400.jpg
You can buy the DVD

CIMG3618.JPG
Here is when he stopped in our neighborhood.

Rafael did it in a Tesla Production car so that make be a record. Anyone who did a world circumnavigation in an EV1 would deserve a medal.