Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Autocross in the Performance....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have been autocrossing Corvettes for years between my C6 and my supercharged C7 which I traded for the P3D back in September. Was really looking forward to the start of our Spring season but that of course got cancelled. Another local club was able to start running and hosted a test n tune on Saturday. The lot had just been paved (I was the first car to run on it when we started) and was extra noisy, even Hoosiers were squealing.

It was a lot of fun but I def still need to learn how to drive a heavy AWD car... I was finding myself trying to rotate the rear like I would with the Corvette and ended up at 35/65 for handling balance and 0 for stability control. I think I need to learn to let the AWD pull around some cones instead.

38.535 was my best, most cars were running 39-41's... FTD was Sam Strano in his fully prepped C7 GrandSport that ran a high 35.

Car is on 18x8.5" Konig Hypergrams and 255/40/18 RE71R

83048588_10220308359871911_4418418528831406080_o.jpg
101808704_10220308357071841_5773846208141328384_o.jpg

Nice runs! I also had my first event this weekend. I ended up 3rd in raw time and 3rd in PAX on the OEM tires. Not a bad start, but I can't wait to get my RE71Rs on. Still have to play with the data and video from the car. Thanks for the tip on RaceRender!

I'm curious...did your car come with 19's or 20's from the factory? What year is it? Just wondering how you can run 18's, since SS class only allows 1" reduction in diameter. My car is a 2020 and was only available with 20 inch wheels, so I have to run 19 inch race wheels.

Nice runs! I also had my first event this weekend. I ended up 3rd in raw time and 3rd in PAX on the OEM tires. Not a bad start, but I can't wait to get my RE71Rs on. Still have to play with the data and video from the car. Thanks for the tip on RaceRender!

I'm curious...did your car come with 19's or 20's from the factory? What year is it? Just wondering how you can run 18's, since SS class only allows 1" reduction in diameter. My car is a 2020 and was only available with 20 inch wheels, so I have to run 19 inch race wheels.

Thanks!

I only run local events with an independent club that follows SCCA classing. I talked to several board members that felt it was enough of a grey area because of the “sleeper” performances and said no ones going to protest.

Reactions: SammichLover
I only run local events with an independent club that follows SCCA classing. I talked to several board members that felt it was enough of a grey area because of the “sleeper” performances and said no ones going to protest.
I suspect that strictly speaking under SCCA rules to run the 18" rim on a P+ you'd also have to swap in the suspension parts to match the P- (except you could keep the one sway bar that's slightly different, since you're allowed one non-standard sway bar anyway). Which is a lot more PITA to you than material to what difference there'd be in performance.

Nice to read your club is willing to flex on that quibble.

I suspect that strictly speaking under SCCA rules to run the 18" rim on a P+ you'd also have to swap in the suspension parts to match the P- (except you could keep the one sway bar that's slightly different, since you're allowed one non-standard sway bar anyway). Which is a lot more PITA to you than material to what difference there'd be in performance.

Nice to read your club is willing to flex on that quibble.

Yeah, if someone wants to be petty and cry about it at a local event then I will move to ASP but let's be real, the rule sucks like most of the SCCA and there are plenty of cars around skirting rules. I ran a short throw shifter in my C7 in SS/AS for years... with that one shift made in an autocross, it really helped.

The cost to go to 19's vs 18's was silly and I already had brand new 255/40/18 from the C7 in the basement

Reactions: SammichLover
Regen, do you keep it on?
I keep it to Normal. Wish I had Track Mode to set it higher. It works really well to control shifting your weight around via just the accelerator. Just think of it as "I'm downshifted all the time". I do though use two feet to drive, so there isn't as much lag and I [when I'm doing it right] have none of that "slowing but not really" part before hitting the braking hard.

P.S. Just found out that with our normal venue still being closed for CoVid19 we're moved to a local-ish small, 1-mile long road track (in two weeks). The SCCA tends to cone that course up really tight aiming towards the standard "60 mph top speed" target, but the non-SCCA clubs (especially the Porsche one) don't as much. Going to be a wild ride out there. :)

Last edited:
Have been autocrossing Corvettes for years between my C6 and my supercharged C7 which I traded for the P3D back in September. Was really looking forward to the start of our Spring season but that of course got cancelled. Another local club was able to start running and hosted a test n tune on Saturday. The lot had just been paved (I was the first car to run on it when we started) and was extra noisy, even Hoosiers were squealing.

It was a lot of fun but I def still need to learn how to drive a heavy AWD car... I was finding myself trying to rotate the rear like I would with the Corvette and ended up at 35/65 for handling balance and 0 for stability control. I think I need to learn to let the AWD pull around some cones instead.

38.535 was my best, most cars were running 39-41's... FTD was Sam Strano in his fully prepped C7 GrandSport that ran a high 35.

Car is on 18x8.5" Konig Hypergrams and 255/40/18 RE71R

View attachment 546734 View attachment 546735

Hi, I am interested in getting the same size wheels and tires as the ones you have on your 3P. Did you have to run any spacers to make them fit? What brand TPMS did you use? Did you use any hub centering rings?

Thanks

Hi, I am interested in getting the same size wheels and tires as the ones you have on your 3P. Did you have to run any spacers to make them fit? What brand TPMS did you use? Did you use any hub centering rings?

Thanks

No spacers, no TPMS as I only have them on for Autocross days and change them out when I get home. No hub rings either

I'm also curious what tire pressure you guys like to run. I've found 40 psi on 245 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Seems like I slide if higher pressure and the wear starts creeping into the side wall more if I run lower. Hoping to run a little lower with the RE71Rs this year since the side walls are supposed to be pretty stiff.

I'm also curious what tire pressure you guys like to run. I've found 40 psi on 245 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Seems like I slide if higher pressure and the wear starts creeping into the side wall more if I run lower. Hoping to run a little lower with the RE71Rs this year since the side walls are supposed to be pretty stiff.

I had my first race in my M3 Stealth - Running 255/18 RE71's. The course was very wet but did dry out through my 5 runs (never 100%). The car was amazing and I'm really looking forward to the next one.

From a tire pressure perspective, I was on concrete and was running around 38psi in the fronts -that is probably getting close to the limit (could probably go a little lower on asphalt). I think I was probably coming in too hot in a few turns which caused a lot of scrub on the fronts - too much of a "fast in fast out" mentality which I'll need to adjust to.

Reactions: superflyrolla
In talking to a friend that works for bridgestone and happens to autox a Model 3 Performance, showing him pics of my tires from last event he suggested going to 33 hot. I was around 38 hot last time. I ran 33 hot yesterday and the car felt amazing.