TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First bad day in the X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jomo25, May 14, 2016.

1. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Well today marked my first unpleasant day in the X.

First, driving on the highway, I had the dreaded loud tick of a rock strike to the windshield. Didn't see any damage from inside so thought we got off scot free. Well later we noticed a 3 inch crack from the right side about halfway up (just near where the visor is anchored).

We checked from the outside and sure enough there's a rock chip on the black windshield border there and it progressed into a crack line.

I'm sure itll spider along over time. Not sure what its going to take to replace. Glad I didn't opt to get it tinted. Ugh.

Later in the day, while stopped at a light, we noticed a weird sound coming from the front of the cabin, like just beyond the console. The AC is making a strange noise, like the fan is rubbing against something. I recorded it and will post later if I can. The AC is working great still. Its 107 here in PHX and its pumping cold air nicely also, the sound only happens when I'm stopped. If I'm driving, it goes away. Anyone else have this issue?

Added it to my punch list.of 6 all minor issues. But the sound is annoying and is the biggest issue of them right now. Gotta make that service appointment.

Still love the X, just an unfortunate day.

• Helpful x 1
  2. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Sorry to hear... Do you have glass coverage on your insurance? We do and it worth it out here in AZ...

I had the windshield replaced on my S just over a year ago after getting a nasty rock chip that was too big to fill. A couple weeks later another rock hit me causing another largish pit. Annoying.

3. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Yes I do have glass coverage. Actually I called my insurance carrier on day 2 of X ownership Just to double confirm that! I was gazing up out of the beautiful cockpit and it hit me just how expAnsive and expEnsive it is/would be.

Yes our S also had several rock hits. We had our S glass crack due to to rock early on and I found out we didn't have glass and thats when I made sure it was on our policy back then. AZ highways suck for windshields.

So it'll presumably be covered. But not sure how available windshield replacements are even going to be at this point. And the no doubt ridiculous cost of it worries me that somehow the insurance company will try to weasel out of it.

4. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

Canadian price for the X windshield is 2800$ including installation.

FYI

• Informative x 3
  5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Wow it was $169 to replace the Prizm wind shield.

• Informative x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  6. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Are you seriously comparing a POS Chevy Prizm windshield with the largest piece of auto glass ever?

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 4
    • Dislike x 4
    • Love x 1
  7. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

POS? The car is 15 years old and has 150,000 miles and has never had to go back to the dealer. The windshield has been its most expensive repair. What I was trying to say is Tesla are quite expensive.

• Like x 2
  8. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

Granted I would expect the Model X glass to be expensive given it's uniqueness. That said, Tesla does need to figure out how to get parts prices under control before the masses get into a Model 3. The prices for Model S parts/repairs are pretty high IMO.

• Like x 1
  9. MSullivan

MSullivan Member

What is the time frame for things like a replacement front window on the X? I would think they don't have a lot laying around.

10. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Sorry to hear about that bad luck, I dread that tick. It took 5 months to get the windshield for my X5 replaced, but the glass came from Germany.

They should keep some reserve for this very reason. I'm on the highway a lot here and have had to replace the windshield on every vehicle I have ever owned. I'm sure it will happen to me too, just hope not right away.

11. loganintx

loganintx Member

I would think they WOULD have a lot laying around being that they haven't built as many X's as they thought they would

12. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

13. electracity

electracity Active Member

I would fill the crack and plan on getting it replaced later. If you make too many insurance claims and you will have very high priced insurance.

14. RIZE

RIZE Member

Unlikely. I think they only have parts for cars that are configured and waiting to be built or for cars in service centers that have ordered seperate parts.

15. Porfiry

Porfiry Member

I don't know what the wait time is, but if you see the thread about windshield ghosting they are doing replacements, so there definitely is some inventory on hand. Hopefully availability (and price - omg!) will steadily improve over time.

16. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

I'll be getting Clearplex on our windshield. At least as high up as the roll will allow.

17. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

Won't that leave a line across the windshield?

18. SMSMD

SMSMD Member

Will it increase or decrease double vision or ghosting??

19. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

Will let you know.

Yes, I'm hoping its higher up where it's not noticeable.

At 37k miles our S has that lovely micro-pitting from all the highway miles we do.

20. Trail Runner

Trail Runner Member

I'm going to have Opti Glass Pro applied on all of the glass of my Model 3 to reduce pitting, chips, water stains, and for the hydrophobic properties.