Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First bad day in the X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well today marked my first unpleasant day in the X.

First, driving on the highway, I had the dreaded loud tick of a rock strike to the windshield. Didn't see any damage from inside so thought we got off scot free. Well later we noticed a 3 inch crack from the right side about halfway up (just near where the visor is anchored).

We checked from the outside and sure enough there's a rock chip on the black windshield border there and it progressed into a crack line.

I'm sure itll spider along over time. Not sure what its going to take to replace. Glad I didn't opt to get it tinted. Ugh.

Later in the day, while stopped at a light, we noticed a weird sound coming from the front of the cabin, like just beyond the console. The AC is making a strange noise, like the fan is rubbing against something. I recorded it and will post later if I can. The AC is working great still. Its 107 here in PHX and its pumping cold air nicely also, the sound only happens when I'm stopped. If I'm driving, it goes away. Anyone else have this issue?

Added it to my punch list.of 6 all minor issues. But the sound is annoying and is the biggest issue of them right now. Gotta make that service appointment.

Still love the X, just an unfortunate day.

• Helpful
Reactions: ModelX
Sorry to hear... Do you have glass coverage on your insurance? We do and it worth it out here in AZ...

I had the windshield replaced on my S just over a year ago after getting a nasty rock chip that was too big to fill. A couple weeks later another rock hit me causing another largish pit. Annoying.

Yes I do have glass coverage. Actually I called my insurance carrier on day 2 of X ownership Just to double confirm that! I was gazing up out of the beautiful cockpit and it hit me just how expAnsive and expEnsive it is/would be.

Yes our S also had several rock hits. We had our S glass crack due to to rock early on and I found out we didn't have glass and thats when I made sure it was on our policy back then. AZ highways suck for windshields.

So it'll presumably be covered. But not sure how available windshield replacements are even going to be at this point. And the no doubt ridiculous cost of it worries me that somehow the insurance company will try to weasel out of it.

Are you seriously comparing a POS Chevy Prizm windshield with the largest piece of auto glass ever?

Granted I would expect the Model X glass to be expensive given it's uniqueness. That said, Tesla does need to figure out how to get parts prices under control before the masses get into a Model 3. The prices for Model S parts/repairs are pretty high IMO.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Sorry to hear about that bad luck, I dread that tick. It took 5 months to get the windshield for my X5 replaced, but the glass came from Germany.

They should keep some reserve for this very reason. I'm on the highway a lot here and have had to replace the windshield on every vehicle I have ever owned. I'm sure it will happen to me too, just hope not right away.