Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First bad M3 review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, if by review you mean observations on fit and finish. They didn't say anything about how it drove, just that there were issues with initial quality that they doubt would even be noticed by prospective buyers. It seems like an article in search of a story, more than a critique of Tesla, especially when they point out most people would notice the problems.

I would hardly call that a “review”
How do you achieve poor panel fit if you use robots, unless they're all that way? Or is it possible this was a hand-built one they had at the event?
The types of fitment issues mentioned are typically in components that are manually installed by workers on the line, at least at this point.

Also, just because robots are involved, a programmer still had to be involved to get the process correct, efficient and repeatable. The inclusion of robots itself do no magically make it perfect on its own.

Reactions: McRat
"poor overall initial quality could undermine Tesla's brand" - Highly doubtful, just buy a new Model X or S and you can find a ton of fit and finish issues, it is part of the brand image at this point. Yes, I know first hand, I just bought an S and an X in August and both had and still have some issues (X has fan noise issue still in front defroster and S still has unaligned trim pieces).

Also, just because robots are involved, a programmer still had to be involved to get the process correct, efficient and repeatable. The inclusion of robots itself do no magically make it perfect on its own.
Understood, which is why I asked...if one would be bad all would be if automation is involved. They'd all be precisely as bad as each other.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and Lunarx
I read this in another article, yesterday. One of the first things I noticed was this:

"While we doubt that it would impact (or even be noticed by) most prospective buyers, we do worry that poor overall initial quality could undermine Tesla's brand and potentially overwhelm its service network."

Sacconaghi reiterated his market perform rating and $265 price target on Tesla shares, representing 12.5 percent downside to Thursday's close.

This was used to justify the price target, although I find the fact that they believe the imperfections so minor that people wouldn't notice a bit odd...

I have to say I find this amusing... One guy says coolest car of 2017. Oh he's right! Great review, so honest!
The next guy gives a critical review based on fit and finish.
(and by the way we have all seen the early model 3 photos where the panels are a mess)
and he's a liar, its fake, unfair etc

c'mon

I agree. I mean I want a model 3 but I will have a hard time overlooking every issue the car may have. It is going to be the most expensive car and I really do not want panel gaps and the like. Hoping by the time I get mine they will be minimalized. I am not a fan boy of any company except maybe Samsung...love their TVs so if there is an issue, lets be honest about it.

I have to say I find this amusing... One guy says coolest car of 2017. Oh he's right! Great review, so honest!
(and by the way we have all seen the early model 3 photos where the panels are a mess)

c'mon

All the fan boys here are not stupid. The earlier one went in detail about every aspect of the car, driving, interior, styling, trunk space and then also commented on the less than perfect fit and finish. It gave a full perspective.

This one completely ignored and not even mentioned about the main function of the car - driving dynamics - and went on and on about only one thing - supposedly misaligned panels which apparently most consumers won't even notice.

Don't insult our intelligence. We can read through the bias of the reporters.

Even without this review I think most of us would have guessed the early ones are not going to be perfect in fit and finish.

Last edited by a moderator:

c'mon
BS. The point is not that the guy is critical, but that he has only one point: fit and finish. If it were a complete story of his driver experiences in which this is one element, it would've been fine. Now it's just Tesla-bashing.