Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Big FWD Issue, Help?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my passenger FWD will not open. It is closed and shut tight. Center screen shows the door as closed, but it has both button options to open and close the FWD. Pressing either one does nothing.

I've called the SC and set an appointment. I tried resetting the center screen and the instrument cluster. I even popped the door open manually and played with the FWD latch controller.

Has anyone ran into this issue also and know what the fix is?

My situation is similar. All my doors (except driver) would only open if I controlled it on the touchscreen. I would have to hit the icon 2-3 times for them unlock and open. The maually suppression of the handles would not open them. The keyfob will not open the fwds either.

I have an appt 2 weeks from now.

So my passenger FWD will not open. It is closed and shut tight. Center screen shows the door as closed, but it has both button options to open and close the FWD. Pressing either one does nothing.

I've called the SC and set an appointment. I tried resetting the center screen and the instrument cluster. I even popped the door open manually and played with the FWD latch controller.

Has anyone ran into this issue also and know what the fix is?
This is a long shot, but I believe early on @ohmman fixed some bad FWD behavior by cleaning dirt from around the perimeter of the door. Clean the gaskets and the valleys between gaskets and door edge.
Ever since his post, I periodically wipe the door edges, especially since I live on a dirt road.

This is a long shot, but I believe early on @ohmman fixed some bad FWD behavior by cleaning dirt from around the perimeter of the door. Clean the gaskets and the valleys between gaskets and door edge.
Ever since his post, I periodically wipe the door edges, especially since I live on a dirt road.

That sure is a long shot and kind of a ridiculous, if we have to keep perimeter area clean just to operate FWD. BTW, Tesla manual doesn't recommend doing so.

So this is the second time I'm dealing with this problem. My FWD (falcon wing door) on my driver side is saying is open but its close. I am getting both the buttons on my screen. The door wont open or close. I tried with the key fob, screen, door, and the actual switch in the back. The first time this happen to me, it started with the driver side fwd. Then my driver side door would only open an inch, even when there was nothing next to it. Then my passenger fwd started to do the same thing. I called the Tesla 800 number and they didn't know what it was. This time I called and explain to them again about the problem. They said they would check my logs and call me in the morning. They fixed it the first time by replacing the sensors on both sided. I can tell they downgraded the firmware and then upgraded it. I kept getting the notification on my phone about the firmware. I have had the x less then 30 days. This would be the third problem I have had with it.

Attachments

• 2016-11-10 17.34.40.jpg
    2016-11-10 17.34.40.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 98
That post was about the false obstacle detection on falcon wing door closure. I was having it frequently, incidentally did a detail on my car, and it went away. Never appeared again, and then we had the software update a month or two later which solved it for everyone. It most certainly could have been coincidence. Now that they fixed that, I don't keep my jambs quite as clean, despite living on a dirt road, and I haven't had these particular issues with my falcons.

(Thanks for the mention, though!)

As for the OP's problem, I had a similar issue a while ago. In my case, the door wasn't exactly closed all the way on the touchscreen image. It was closed on the vehicle, but the image showed it cracked just a tiny bit. I couldn't open or close it with the touchscreen or handles, and the Service Center was forced to reset the latch.

I dropped off the X today and a tech told me they're on the 4th revision of the door latches. Makes me scared that I'm on the first..

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
I dropped off the X today and a tech told me they're on the 4th revision of the door latches. Makes me scared that I'm on the first..
Mine were replaced yesterday too even though I have never had a problem. Went in to have them give me new fobs and the service manager stated there is a bulletin on the latches and all Model X's will get new ones.

Ok, so what happened was apparently the sensor and control arm malfunctioned. They needed to replace the whole thing and they took care of it really fast once the part got in. First time my SC has seen it which is both good and bad. I had the same screen VegasSoldier, but I was able to press both open and close with no action when the door was closed or open.

Now though, I just got home and the driver side door only opened a couple of inches and shows an obstacle detected, when there is nothing there. I'm beginning to wonder if the programming is actually much smarter and playing it on the safe side, knowing its in my garage and knows 95% of the time there is another car next to it. Resulting in it believing there should be something there?

If it's another sensor/issue though it'll be strike 2 of 3.

Ok, so what happened was apparently the sensor and control arm malfunctioned. They needed to replace the whole thing and they took care of it really fast once the part got in. First time my SC has seen it which is both good and bad. I had the same screen VegasSoldier, but I was able to press both open and close with no action when the door was closed or open.

Now though, I just got home and the driver side door only opened a couple of inches and shows an obstacle detected, when there is nothing there. I'm beginning to wonder if the programming is actually much smarter and playing it on the safe side, knowing its in my garage and knows 95% of the time there is another car next to it. Resulting in it believing there should be something there?

If it's another sensor/issue though it'll be strike 2 of 3.
That is what is happening now and also happened the first time. They said they replaced my sensors on both sides. Tesla called me yesterday and said that one of the sensors isn't getting powered so they cant read it to se what is wrong. By any chance do you have a blackvue dash cam installed?

Got exactly the same symptoms yesterday in my wife's X, left FWD would not open, screen is showing both icons (open & close). Also driver's door only opens a little and we need to force it to enter or exit. Called Tesla and waiting for SC to give us appointment. @Pandamoanium did it really take 3 weeks to repair?
What is the procedure for a manual opening?

Got exactly the same symptoms yesterday in my wife's X, left FWD would not open, screen is showing both icons (open & close). Also driver's door only opens a little and we need to force it to enter or exit. Called Tesla and waiting for SC to give us appointment. @Pandamoanium did it really take 3 weeks to repair?
What is the procedure for a manual opening?
So here is an update on my tesla. I dropped it off Wednesday and got it back today. They forced the new update and apparently it fixed the problem. They checked the ground and power and everything was fine. We will see if this problem comes back up. I know if they have to order parts then it will take a week or 2. (From the first encounter I had). We called Friday and got an appointment Wednesday n picked it back up today. They gave us a expedition for a loaner vehicle since they don't have model X loaners n the s doesn't fit my family. Hope they fix ur problem.

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5
...They forced the new update and apparently it fixed the problem...

Hey VegasSoldier
Comparable symptoms (driver side FWD shows open&close icons, FWD failed to open from touchscreen, exterior, interior or fob ... driver door didn't honor/recognize FWD ultrasonics for clearance & hence only opened a crack), comparable remedy (SC forced firmware update - they claim the bug is remedied in 2.42.40). Love my SC!