Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First big road trip advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amsterdam road trip

Get a TheNewMotion card - they are the dominant destination charging network in NL (and they also have a few points in the UK).

The card is no-cost, though it's a slightly convoluted process: apply here and they will send you the card in the post, then you need to create a billing account here and associate the two together using the number printed on the card.

They do have a mobile app, but AFAIK there's no way at present to use it to start the charge - you have to get the card (and then don't need the app other than to locate chargepoints).

I did a trip to Toulouse and back, about a month ago. Like sidmini said, "A Better Routeplanner" is really useful. Eurotunnel is a good way to cross, partly because it is quicker than ferries and partly because there are Superchargers in both Folkestone and Calais Eurotunnel terminals. I didn't have Chademo adaptor but I did take a Schuko adaptor (but I never used it). For me, the long distance segments were no problem - I just used "A Better Routeplanner" to come up with a sensible route through Superchargers and to arrive with sufficient charge. What I had to think about was power while at my destination: the place we stayed at had no charging facilities and the nearest Supercharger was a 20 minute drive. I needed to be able to top up without driving out of my way. Destination chargers can be useful for this. Some businesses restrict use of their destination charger to customers but others allow anyone to use them. From Tesla's map, I see that Amsterdam has a Supercharger and at least two destination chargers that are available for public use - and there are several Superchargers on the way to and from Amsterdam.
One problem with using non-Tesla chargers is that you sometimes have to join some other charging network, sometimes needing a card and/or subscription. You can join organisations like NewMotion but their charge costs are by the minute, not by the units you have used.

Just so it doesn't catch anyone out :) they are on DEPARTURE not ARRIVAL (although i think there is one outside the "port" in the Pas de Calais somewhere, as well.)
Yes - I should have made it clear that the superchargers at Eurotunnel are only accessible when you go to the terminal when departing and only after you have cleared the ticket booths i.e not on public roads. There is indeed a supercharger near Eurotunnel in Coquelles - it is in a publicly accessible hotel car park.

Reactions: WannabeOwner