Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First boatload of M3 to Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That LA times article written by the Tesla hater, Russel Mitchell, was dripping with negative tone throughout the article.

"controversial driver assist mode"
"complicates the Model 3’s entry into Europe"
"delivery hell complaints, that have become routine in the United States "
"Model 3 sales declined precipitously in the U.S. in January"
"Autopilot is controversial... Musk has long taken a more casual attitude"

He hyperlinks to two of his other articles, all dripping with exaggerated negative tone. These guys in my opinion are worse third rate scumbags than the shorts like Mark Spiegel. When shorts lie and spread FUD, people understand that they are expected to lie and are generally dishonest. Being a short, gives them the right to be dishonest. And for that reason generally the public discounts most of what the shorts say.

But when a journalist from main stream media reports a 'news item', many unfortunately read the content in the whole article assuming they all are factual statements that accurately reflect the situation. When you wield such power hiding behind MSM, you got be more responsible.

Last edited:
Meanwhile the german forums are going insane about the still outstanding type approval for M3 EAP, with the usual trolls giving their usual spiel about Tesla "CANT SELL M3 IN EUROPE AND WE TOLD YOU SO"

To be honest I'm surprised this hasn't spread to this forum here. Surprised and delighted.

Interesting.
I noticed on the Model 3 page about EAP on the German Tesla site, any mention of the summon feature had been removed. It definitly used to be there because I showed it to my daughters and told them that we could let our car drive out of the garage/tight parking spots using the smartphone app, prompting them to say "cool". ;)
Hope the summon feature will be reinstated before we take delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
That LA times article written by the Tesla hater, Russel Mitchell, was dripping with negative tone throughout the article.

"controversial driver assist mode"
"complicates the Model 3’s entry into Europe"
"delivery hell complaints, that have become routine in the United States "
"Model 3 sales declined precipitously in the U.S. in January"
"Autopilot is controversial... Musk has long taken a more casual attitude"

What really gets me is the doublethink that's at work here, because EAP is apparently both too radically different to be waved through by regulators without a hitch, as well as not new at all because look Mercedes has lane assist too and that's allegedly the same thing. Except it isn't. But depending on what angle they need, it's either nothing innovative or way too innovative.

- Second vehicle carrier to Europe (Glovis Cosmos) arrived into Zeebrugge about 8 hours ago
- Third vehicle carrier to Europe (Grand Aurora) is passing the Azores Islands (roughly 4 days away from Zeebrugge)
- Fourth vehicle carrier to Europe (CSCC Europe) has passed through the Panama Channel today
- Chances are high that Glovis Courage, which has been moored now for 3 days is leaving shortly to Europe following two consecutive shipments to China

- Glovis Symphony has arrived with the first load to China

- Second vehicle carrier to Europe (Glovis Cosmos) arrived into Zeebrugge about 8 hours ago
- Third vehicle carrier to Europe (Grand Aurora) is passing the Azores Islands (roughly 4 days away from Zeebrugge)
- Fourth vehicle carrier to Europe (CSCC Europe) has passed through the Panama Channel today
- Chances are high that Glovis Courage, which has been moored now for 3 days is leaving shortly to Europe following two consecutive shipments to China

- Glovis Symphony has arrived with the first load to China
Strangely, Glovis Symphony was originally destined for [CN XIN] which I believe is Xinhui, mainland China near Macao, but instead went to Tianjin, the destination of Emerald Ace. Morning Cindy is destined for Shanghai.

I think XIN is short for Xingang, which is the name of Tianjin's port
According to Vesselfinder, Glovis Symphony was destined for CNXIN (Xinhui) and Emerald Ace is still destined for CNTXG which is TianjinXingang. Morning Cindy is still headed for CNSHA, Shanghai. I don't know the rules of rerouting ships, so it's probably not a big deal. It also could have been a data entry error due to the similar names.

Are we done with International shipments for this quarter?
I remember Tesla stating concerns about having too many cars intransit at the end of the quarter as those cars won’t count as sales. It takes about 23 days to ship from SFO to Europe and apparently a little less than that to China. Loading/Unloading and all the aftermath to get the car to the customer takes its own additional time. In order to play save they need to allow for that as well and count with the total time. There’s not many days left in this quarter and there is also not many vehicles carriers close to SFO and Pier 80. The only one on my radar right now is Don Juan at BNC (Benicia) which could get there in no time.

I think the wild card is the China Tariff situation. Tesla clearly wanted to get as many cars as they could in under the March 1st deadline for the tariffs to go up absent a complete China trade deal. POTUS said in his news conference this morning that it was going very well, but that could be his typical ego stroking. I don't see any reason to slow down the European shipments. Also, someone just said they got an invite to see Model 3 at one of the Dubai showrooms, so they could start shipping to other markets too. Taiwan is pretty much US spec, so that should be an easy one to start as well. From here on out they're going to have a lot of cars in transit and there's not much they can do about it. End of quarter rush in places like Norway just doesn't make any sense. They need to optimize the shipping and just keep the cars moving regardless of where the calendar falls.

The floodgates have opened and this is just the beginning:
Glovis Captain: arrived 2/5
Glovis Cosmos: ETA 2/9
Grand Aurora: ETA 2/15
CSCC Europe: around 2/22
and a lot more to come...

Emerald Ace is still docked at SFO Pier 80.
Glovis Courage is holding in the ocean outside the San Francisco Bay.
Glovis Captain is still in Bremerhaven.
Glovis Cosmos is barely moving (<1 knot) off the coast of Spain.

Are we done with International shipments for this quarter?

I cannot trace each ship location, but currently the Glovis Captain (who arrived with the first load of Model 3 in Europe)
is now scheduled to arrive February 19 in Derince, near Istanbul, where Hyundai has a car Factory
in Izmit, and producing the Hyundai Accent sedan and i20.

Last edited:
Grand Venus is now mooring at Pier 80. AIS is already stating 3/16 in Zeebrugge, so this one would be vessel #6 headed to Europe.

PS: Don Juan has left Benicia and is now heading to Panama. Coincidence? Don’t think Tesla has got a second port to ship M3’s from and the community most likely would have spotted any suspicious movements but I still have it on the radar.

Grand Venus has not left yet. It is still docked at SF Pier 80 at 9:45am 21 Feb local time.
Glovis Courage is through the Panama Canal and due in Zeebrugge on 5 March.
Oh yes, you’re right it still hasn’t moved yet indeed. When I checked it, I saw the speed at 0.7 knots, so maybe a short term AIS issue.
It seems like Glovis Star is already waiting and killing time by going in circles right outside the bay.

Oh yes, you’re right it still hasn’t moved yet indeed. When I checked it, I saw the speed at 0.7 knots, so maybe a short term AIS issue.
It seems like Glovis Star is already waiting and killing time by going in circles right outside the bay.
Right now, UTC 7 am Friday, February 22, 2019 (or Thursday, February 21, 2019 11 pm PCT - California Time )
Grand Venus is near Santa Cruz, CA
Glovis Star is in San Francisco, Pier 80
Glovis Courage exited the Panama Canal
CSCC Asia is in the English Channel, near Normandy, France

Interesting choreography :)

Any vessel going to China?

Right now, UTC 7 am Friday, February 22, 2019 (or Thursday, February 21, 2019 11 pm PCT - California Time )
Grand Venus is near Santa Cruz, CA
Glovis Star is in San Francisco, Pier 80
Glovis Courage exited the Panama Canal
CSCC Asia is in the English Channel, near Normandy, France

Interesting choreography :)

Any vessel going to China?
Morning Cindy has arrived in Shanghai

JayinShanghai on Twitter

Emerald Ace is due in Tianjin on 2/24
Golden Ray is due in Shanghai on 2/28

BTW, it is CSCC Europe heading to Zeebrugge, not CSCC Asia.

Reactions: NeverFollow