Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First boatload of M3 to Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glovis Captain passed the Canal and is now only one Ocean away.
Glovis Cosmos is following just one week apart with probably even more M3 loaded.
Glovis Symphony is arriving into SF port at 5pm local time - picking up more M3.
The pipeline is filling more and more, soon there will be a 10k-15k amount intransit on a permanent level.

Posted in another thread, but I've seen 5 truckloads of Model 3s with european plate holders going up 101 North towards San Francisco in the past 4 days. Surprised me; I didn't realized they shipped cars into/out of SF. I would have thought Oakland if it was in the bay area. Good info.

Reminds me of waiting for my Golf to be shipped in from Germany, but that landed in the Los Angeles area and was presumably trucked up here.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Informative
Reactions: Arpe and Erpel
Just did some maths:
It took Glovis Captain 8d 15hrs to travel from SF to Balboa (PA). Considering the distance (3.330 miles) it travels at about 16 miles per hour.
At this hour we are 182 hours (7d 14 hrs) away from the ETA in Zeebrugge. Doing the maths the vessel is now slightly shy of 3.000 miles away. This is about the distance from Dakar, Senegal to Zeebrugge.
In about two days it should pass the Azores Islands or Europes outer boundaries.

Reactions: GSP and Tombaaaa
I wonder what can be the additional cost of shipping for each car?

I had to ship some equipment few years ago, and finally air cargo was cheaper than sea shipping because of the insurance cost.

It seems that the risk of accident for a few hour flight is smaller than a one month shipping.

Interestingly, the sea shipping calculation was based on cubic metric volume will the air cargo was base of kilogram Tons weight.

I hope everything will go fine for the Glovis, not like the sinking of The Tricolor with 3,000 luxury cars in the British Channel in 2002.

The wreck was only under 80 feet of water and had to be removed.

Reactions: Erpel
There's satellite AIS but you don't want to know how much that costs.

Some very interesting videos about those RoRo carriers:

Here's some look inside the crew interior, but sadly the guy decided to change his mind and switch to landscape orientation in mid shoot...

Here's a stowaway sweeping service on board a Glovis carrier:

Reactions: Erpel