Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Buffalo Winter with 2018 Model S - Lessons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

YYZ-IAD

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2018
Buffalo NY, Toronto ON
Buffalo winter has been particularly nasty (maybe you think they are all). Many large snow falls and several days with temps 5-15 F (down to -20 C). Lessons learned:

1) Model S handles very well in snow. I have Michelin X-Ice Winter tires. Handling in snow is secure - on par or better than previous experiences with Volvo XC70. MS low center of mass and 4 wheel power must be factors.

2) Charging a challenge. I've covered in another post, but I dont have home access to power. Supercharger or L2 chargers my only option. Charging a cold battery is a sloooow process. Today with temps in 15F range, took 10 mins on supercharger before charging started at all. I know this now and plan around it. Good bookstore at supercharger.

3) Wish for do-over: Big regret I didnt get sub-zero package. (I thought I'd be in Wash DC more.) Heated wipers would have been very valuable. I've had constant issues with ice building on blades during snowstorms - and then of course they dont work worth a darn. I have to pull over to clean blades manually. Heated rear seats werent a big deal to me.

4) Cabin heat: I assume we all knew going in that this would be a negative. We dont have heat pouring off an ICE. I set cabin heat at 65F to save battery and deal with it. No surprises. It was expected.

Overall 7 months into ownership, still love the MS -- but there are trade-offs in life. Move the heck out of Buffalo you say? Nope - great city - underrated.

...Today with temps in 15F range, took 10 mins on supercharger before charging started at all...

I've never driven my Tesla in subfreezing weather so I have no idea. But I still want to drive my Tesla to the East Coast in winter in future.

Thanks for your informative post.

If the car is driven first then get Supercharged at 15F, does it still take that long to start?

Yes, driving for some distance, even when cold out, will lead to a faster supercharge. I can't give firm definition of what is sufficiently long - but at least 45 minutes in my experience. Road trips will be fine if you charge after some distance. Going to supercharger first thing in morn after a cold night will lead to the delay i described

3) Big regret I didnt get sub-zero package. Heated wipers would have been very valuable. I've had constant issues with ice building on blades during snowstorms - and then of course they dont work worth a darn. I have to pull over to clean blades manually. Heated rear seats werent a big deal to me.
FWIW, the heated wipers are only so good. A year ago on a drive from Boston->Buffalo in a storm that went from freezing rain to white-out we had some ice build up. (the car was covered in about half an inch of ice by the time we got to the SuperCharger in Utica, so it was an extreme workout for the heaters).

OTOH, I don't know how you live without the heated steering wheel. That is definitely the most valuable part of the sub-zero package!

Buffalo winter has been particularly nasty (maybe you think they are all). Many large snow falls and several days with temps 5-15 F (down to -20 C). Lessons learned:

1) Model S handles very well in snow. I have Michelin X-Ice Winter tires. Handling in snow is secure - on par or better than previous experiences with Volvo XC70. MS low center of mass and 4 wheel power must be factors.

2) Charging a challenge. I've covered in another post, but I dont have home access to power. Supercharger or L2 chargers my only option. Charging a cold battery is a sloooow process. Today with temps in 15F range, took 10 mins on supercharger before charging started at all. I know this now and plan around it. Good bookstore at supercharger.

3) Wish for do-over: Big regret I didnt get sub-zero package. (I thought I'd be in Wash DC more.) Heated wipers would have been very valuable. I've had constant issues with ice building on blades during snowstorms - and then of course they dont work worth a darn. I have to pull over to clean blades manually. Heated rear seats werent a big deal to me.

4) Cabin heat: I assume we all knew going in that this would be a negative. We dont have heat pouring off an ICE. I set cabin heat at 65F to save battery and deal with it. No surprises. It was expected.

Overall 7 months into ownership, still love the MS -- but there are trade-offs in life. Move the heck out of Buffalo you say? Nope - great city - underrated.

Hello, I live on Grand Island and am looking for a way to test drive a Model S, without having to drive to Oakville or Cleveland. I'm to the point of "stalking" the supercharger on Transit, but everytime I go by, no one is charging(bad luck?).

I've been using the EV-CPO Hunter site and have narrowed down what I'm looking for, but someone with 1st hand knowledge would be invaluable.

Would you possibly be open to meeting me at the super charger, whenever is convenient for you ? I own my own business, so have flexibility.

Thanks,
Brian

Reactions: BBone
sure - happy to help. will send a private message
Another Buffalo guy here. In the same boat as Asgbma. Lately I've been reading about the pros/cons of a wall charger vs. a second mobile charger. And looking at the number of open slots on my electrical panel. And looking at wheel choices for snow tires. And looking for service centers and getting insurance quotes. There is a lot of planning, but I'm close to pulling the trigger.

Also looking at the supercharger map and that 'expected 2019' note for Buffalo supercharger. I always look at the number of vehicles at the supercharger by Barnes & Noble, and it's rare that it's completely empty, so Asgbma must just be unlucky the times he goes by.

So, sorry to crash the party, but if YYZ-IAD, or anyone else around Buffalo, wants to show off their cool car, let me know and I'll come down. I grew up going to cruise-ins and still bring cars to places where you pop your hood and talk to strangers who are also into cars. So that part would seem natural, except that we probably wouldn't pop the hood open!

Reactions: BBone
sure, will send you a private message as well -- you can kick the tires - and we'll take a drive.

I've never had issue getting a slot at Transit Rd supercharger. Suspect it gets a bit less use that the average SC.

Off topic: Gee, if Buffalonians so anxious for a place to see and drive Teslas -- makes one think Elon going in wrong direction by dumping existing sales centers elsewhere. A lot to ask to plunk down big $ for vehicle sight unseen. Not sure I would have done it without a smart salesperson and 40 min test drive. If sure multiple posts on this topic elsewhere.

I had a small business many years ago in the Niagara Falls area. Agree Buffalo and area are underrated and the people are great! We still come down or through at times on our way to NYC or NJ from TO. On the heated wipers - I agree with the other posters that the heated wipers are of limited utility but the heated steering wheel and heated seats are definitely needed. Wipers do something I think in the winter - I just haven't been able to get them to definitely melt all iced on snow/ice on real bad days through the Appalachians. Enjoy the test drives everyone. You won't regret getting a S (my former was a Jeep Wrangler JK with snows, and a Saturn Outlook with snows). The Wrangler was great as was the Saturn. The X and S with snows work just as well as long as you remember not to go Ludicrous!

I can't imagine buying a tesla with no access to home charging. Especially when supercharging in cold weather takes so much longer. I mean... how much time are you dumping into this car every week just to refuel it? Is your time worth nothing to you? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

I had no home charging for a few days while my charger was broken and I couldn't stand going to the supercharger every other day and wasting 50 minutes of my life.

Especially when supercharging in cold weather takes so much longer
It doesn't take longer... when the battery is warm. If you are on a (long distance) drive and pull into a SC, it isn't so much slower. If you are a local driving a short distance to a SC, it is slower. Don't use a SC as a local!

If you buy an EV, you should have access to home (or work) charging. Do not use a SuperCharger as a your charging source.

It doesn't take longer... when the battery is warm. If you are on a (long distance) drive and pull into a SC, it isn't so much slower. If you are a local driving a short distance to a SC, it is slower. Don't use a SC as a local!

If you buy an EV, you should have access to home (or work) charging. Do not use a SuperCharger as a your charging source.
I agree, I drove from Rochester NY to south Florida, once under way and I drive from one SC to another the charge time was not slower as the battery was fully warmed. I left Jan 29 when the “polar Vortex” hit BUT the battery was warm from the roughly 175 miles between SCers.

Reactions: jlv1
I can't imagine buying a tesla with no access to home charging. Especially when supercharging in cold weather takes so much longer. I mean... how much time are you dumping into this car every week just to refuel it? Is your time worth nothing to you? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

I had no home charging for a few days while my charger was broken and I couldn't stand going to the supercharger every other day and wasting 50 minutes of my life.

We don't all have a private garages. That is not a requirement to own a Tesla. I love my just fine, thank you very much - even though i live in a condo.

just to be clear -- supercharging is great and fast 99 pct of the time. i have no sense of wasted time. As i pointed out - once exception - when need to charge after long cold night. it doesnt happen often because i usually charge when battery is warmed up. guess you've all heard of new feature coming where battery can be pre-heated berfore charging. that will solve it