Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First California Vehicle Registration Renewal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my Tesla back in Feb of 2020 and now I just received my first Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice from the DMV.

To my surprise, the amount due is $639 with $367 for the registration fee and $261 for the license fee.

I say surprised because comparing to my other car, Honda Accord, the total registration fee is only $180.

Is it because it's Tesla and that's why it's so much more expensive? Is this right?

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I bought my Tesla back in Feb of 2020 and now I just received my first Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice from the DMV.

To my surprise, the amount due is $639 with $367 for the registration fee and $261 for the license fee.

I say surprised because comparing to my other car, Honda Accord, the total registration fee is only $180.

Is it because it's Tesla and that's why it's so much more expensive? Is this right?

Wow I am not looking forward to my first renewal come next September.

Yes, Registrations includes the Vehicle License Fee, which is a tax based on vehicle value.

Registration Fees - California DMV

The California Man said:
Vehicle License Fee (VLF) – 0.65% of purchase price/value of vehicle

Our property tax on vehicles is based on MSRP and is
2.4%, 2.0%, 1.75%, 1.35%, 1%, 0.65%, 0.4%, 0.4%, ...

Last edited:
Reactions: X-pilot
Yes, Registrations includes the Vehicle License Fee, which is a tax based on vehicle value.

Registration Fees - California DMV

Our property tax on vehicles is based on MSRP and is
2.4%, 2.0%, 1.75%, 1.35%, 1%, 0.65%, 0.4%, 0.4%, ...

Thanks for that info, makes sense. However, do you know why the renewal is more expensive than the original fee I paid when I bought the car from Tesla? That was only $560 including the registration fee and license fee.

It's a property tax. It used to be the actual cost of running the DMV.
We kicked Gray Davis to the curb when he allowed a massive hike.
Time to do it again.
Only a small fraction goes to roads.

Notice all the AZ plates in California? Everyone who can registers out of state.

People actually voted for this if I am not mistaken, I thought it was baked with the gas tax hike! yes in CA people vote for taxes and they always complain later, makes no sense right?

yeah if you look at our voting track record. There are a lot of uneducated voter. People read the titles of props and check yes because it “feels good.”

My renewal fee is 599 for Tesla Model 3. I noticed there are two large additional HIDDEN CHARGES

- Road Improvement Fee 100
- Current Transportation Improvement Fee 165

You can only see the breakdown of your vehicle's renewal fees by using the DMV's online calculator tool. Here's the link.

Those two charges are a senate bill. The government started collecting these fees since 2017.
As to why do tesla owners have to pay so much for the improvement fees, I have no idea!

I bought my Tesla model Y December of 2020 and only paid a license fee of $346. Just received a registration bill for upcoming year and total of $685 ($364 for registration fee + $312 for license fee +$9 for county/district fee). What a scumbag state of California robbing people on a broad daylight!!!

• Funny
My renewal fee is 599 for Tesla Model 3. I noticed there are two large additional HIDDEN CHARGES

- Road Improvement Fee 100
- Current Transportation Improvement Fee 165

You can only see the breakdown of your vehicle's renewal fees by using the DMV's online calculator tool. Here's the link.

Those two charges are a senate bill. The government started collecting these fees since 2017.
As to why do tesla owners have to pay so much for the improvement fees, I have no idea!
Thanks for this tip, I was wondering why it was so high and it was not clear on the FAQs (only one that was clear was the License Fee which is 0.65% of current value). The calculator (below for renewal) gives the exact numbers for each line:
Welcome to California

The big ones are what you listed: the RIF (which applies only to EVs) and TIF (applies to all cars and is also based on your car's value).