Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First California Vehicle Registration Renewal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. Never thought of this additional cost of EV ownership. It’s a small annual amount relatively speaking, but it sounds contradictory to all the EV credits that the state uses to incent people to switch.

P/S: and the road improvement fee… so the EV tax can be near $300 a year.
They give you a small one time EV rebate and hit you with higher annual registration renewal fees. My first renewal just came in at $675, compared to my previous ICE registration at around $250. I'm happy with my MYLR but CA likes to find as many ways to tax you without calling it a tax.

They give you a small one time EV rebate and hit you with higher annual registration renewal fees. My first renewal just came in at $675, compared to my previous ICE registration at around $250. I'm happy with my MYLR but CA likes to find as many ways to tax you without calling it a tax.
The renewal fee is so high because you bought a MY which is probably just around $60,000. The EV fee is capped at $175 of that $675. If you would have bought a $60,000 ICE car, it would be just slightly lower. But then you pay the gas tax every time you are at the pump. Where EV is once and done every year. EVs are heavier because of the battery and probably do more damage to the roads that needs repair. So I think it is fair that EVs get some extra fee added in when they can't add that tax to you at the pump.

Reactions: jboy210
The renewal fee is so high because you bought a MY which is probably just around $60,000. The EV fee is capped at $175 of that $675. If you would have bought a $60,000 ICE car, it would be just slightly lower. But then you pay the gas tax every time you are at the pump. Where EV is once and done every year. EVs are heavier because of the battery and probably do more damage to the roads that needs repair. So I think it is fair that EVs get some extra fee added in when they can't add that tax to you at the pump.
I didn’t know Tesla vehicles are that heavy. You’re right. They can be 50% heavier than the ICE equivalents. Maybe this is why I feel so much of the road bumps driving my Model 3.

What was the market value of your previous car? That determines a large part of the registration fee.