Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIRST car wash = ruined tail light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen some others report a similar issue but here goes anyway. I just put the MY through a car wash for the first time since getting it 10 days ago. Immediately water leaked directly into the driver side tail light and looks absolutely awful.

I assume this is a FIXABLE issue? I HOPE?? Here is a picture of the water leakage on the left tail light and the right tail light which has no leakage at all.

And I just confirmed that there IS washer fluid in the tank (although I added quite a bit to it) and the washer fluid motor runs because I can hear it, but NOTHING comes out so I'm assuming the washer fluid motor is busted so yet another item to add to the growing list of issues.

Attachments

• IMG_2921.jpg
    IMG_2921.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_2922.jpg
    IMG_2922.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 417
Don't worry about it. It will not cause damage to the light. I have the same problem with my 2020 Porsche 911. A couple of years ago when I had the same problem in a previous Porsche the dealer just drilled holes on the bottom of the light to allow the water or condensation to drain the water. Now the dealers generally don't do anything because it will not damage the light. I guess if someone really throws a fit they may reluctantly replace the light.

My first stop will be a high-pressure touchless car wash, I want to know there are no water leaks in the roof and around the windows/windshield. If the taillights get some condensation I'll see how my SC wants to deal with it, but that's a common issue with many vehicles I have owned over the years. Annoying but not harmful. Park it in the sun for a day.

I have the same issue. I sent photos to Tesla and they said it's "normal". When the service tech came out to address the other items, the first thing he said was "Did you order new taillights? You need them!" and he ordered me a pair for a dedicated visit. In the meantime, I opened the trunk and drilled a small hole (maybe 3/32") through the very bottom of the exposed side of the lens so the hole would be angled upward when closed and not allow water in. Water poured out when I closed the trunk and the fogging was gone within a day. I spent all day driving in heavy rain yesterday and only have trace condensation on one side today. If the replacements they give me fog up, as well, I'm going to do the same surgery.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam and ArtK