Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Crowdfunded HPWCs completed in SE NW.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
We just finished up the first of hopefully at least 3 HPWC locations. Tesla donated the equipment and my company performed the installation at cost with funds donated via Go Fund Me. I'd like to install a pair of HPWCs in Artesia next but the cost was higher than I expected (~$4300) since we had to build a new service. On the up side these HPWCs are connected to an independent service with 80A each (Not shared) so this location can easily be expanded to ~6 HPWC sharing 160A total.

Please donate so we can install more in Artesia.

Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 12.16.59 PM.png

Roswell HPWC.jpg

Just waiting on Xcel.

You should look into whether you can install DC fast charging stations. Teslas can only charge at a max of 11.5 kw via A/C charging now, but you can provide 20-50kw (80-160A @240, usually 3 phase) via DC.

You'd be able to install a smaller number of chargers, but users would spend less time at each one.

They have to buy the Chademo adapter, but seems worthwhile if they have such sparse service.

You should look into whether you can install DC fast charging stations. Teslas can only charge at a max of 11.5 kw via A/C charging now, but you can provide 20-50kw (80-160A @240, usually 3 phase) via DC.

You'd be able to install a smaller number of chargers, but users would spend less time at each one.

They have to buy the Chademo adapter, but seems worthwhile if they have such sparse service.

If the Go Fund Me reaches >$50,000 I will definitely look into it ;)

If the Go Fund Me reaches >$50,000 I will definitely look into it ;)

I don't think it costs *that* much. The cheapest I found was 6k for a DC charger, but that article was from 2014. They hide the prices behind "call us" statements. I'm not suggesting a 150kw/1MW station like the supercharger - one of these stations is actually in line with the power your are suggesting/providing now, except only that it is three-phase power that is probably needed.

I don't currently have a Chademo adapter, but I think if I needed one I'd probably get one.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't think it costs *that* much. The cheapest I found was 6k for a DC charger, but that article was from 2014. They hide the prices behind "call us" statements. I'm not suggesting a 150kw/1MW station like the supercharger - one of these stations is actually in line with the power your are suggesting/providing now, except only that it is three-phase power that is probably needed.

I don't currently have a Chademo adapter, but I think if I needed one I'd probably get one.

A ~150kW/1MW would be closer to ~$250k than $50k.

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 1.18.11 PM.png

After the necessary service upgrades it's gonna be AT LEAST ~$50k. Then you have demand charges which would increase the monthly cost >10x.

• Informative

Some Teslas can take over 20kw AC and many are in excess of 12kw AC.

A ~150kW/1MW would be closer to ~$250k than $50k.

View attachment 522806

After the necessary service upgrades it's gonna be AT LEAST ~$50k. Then you have demand charges which would increase the monthly cost >10x.

That is a 62.5 kw station. A 22kw station is the same power as you are already providing 80A@240v = 19.2.

You might not find one that works with single phase electricity, but ultimately the demand is as much as you are giving now Here's an article about a 6k charger:

BMW Launches New Low Cost DC Fast Chargers From $6,458

I definitely agree, that it may not work or be financially viable yet. Maybe it is the "three phase" power input that is causing them to be so expensive. 22kw is only 90A@240, and would fit on a regular single phase residential/commercial service.

If Tesla could engineer a DC fast charger at 22kw 90A 240v using the parts it has in the cars, that would be a great idea.

Some Teslas can take over 20kw AC and many are in excess of 12kw AC.

Tesla discontinued their dual charger and so now the max is 48A@240v or 11.5kw. It is good to provide for the older cars, especially at no extra cost, but DC charging could provide for both. Gradually, the older cars will enter the minority, if not there already.

I definitely agree, that it may not work or be financially viable yet. Maybe it is the "three phase" power input that is causing them to be so expensive. 22kw is only 90A@240, and would fit on a regular single phase residential/commercial service.

Tesla discontinued their dual charger and so now the max is 48A@240v or 11.5kw. It is good to provide for the older cars, especially at no extra cost, but DC charging could provide for both.

A 'L2' charger is super-simple. I don't like to even call it a charger because it's not... it's a connector. But yeah... even 11kW for ~$500 is a WAY better deal than 22kW for $6500. It also doesn't appear that those are available any longer. I think that if you're gonna fork over >10x more $$$ there needs to be a comparable difference in charge rate.... not ~2x.

I'm hopeful that Tesla reducing onboard chargers to ~48A means that there's a mini-supercharger in the works that's ~30kW for <$5k. That would be something to consider.

The biggest frustration for me was that I really wanted to ensure non-Teslas could charge here so I didn't go with 277v. It was an option and would have cost the same. My car could have charged at (277v)(80A) = ~22kW. Oh well...

A 'L2' charger is super-simple. I don't like to even call it a charger because it's not... it's a connector. But yeah... even 11kW for ~$500 is a WAY better deal than 22kW for $6500. It also doesn't appear that those are available any longer. I think that if you're gonna fork over >10x more $$$ there needs to be a comparable difference in charge rate.... not ~2x.

You said your cost was $4,300, so I think that does equal 2x when you consider total costs. Depends what is the use-case of the charger.

They are definitely easier to install and maintain.

I'm hopeful that Tesla reducing onboard chargers to ~48A means that there's a mini-supercharger in the works that's ~30kW for <$5k. That would be something to consider.

I'm doubtful that one is in the works, but maybe with the proper feedback this is possible. They keep saying that they are building superchargers, but its not happening so fast.

The biggest frustration for me was that I really wanted to ensure non-Teslas could charge here so I didn't go with 277v. It was an option and would have cost the same. My car could have charged at (277v)(80A) = ~22kW. Oh well...

Standards are a problem. It looks like that fast-charge station you posted also has difficulties supplying a range of 200-1000 volts. I wonder if Tesla superchargers support multiple voltages.