Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First day of delivery. Falcon wing door fails to close on slope. What shall I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: My car has been in SC for two days, and when I ask for update they just told me “repairs is still in progress.” When I asked further whether the issue is major or minor and what is the plan to fix it, no response any more... I can see the car was pulled into the shop for hours through mobile app.

Is this normal? Maybe I should consider this as a major issue?

Unfortunately, this is very normal for service right now. Getting solid updates on progress or an ETA on completion is near impossible. I have always been treated very well at my service center and everyone sincerely wanted to be helpful but the truth is that they are so overloaded that they are unable to be prompt with, or provide detailed, communication. Once they have the car it's fairly impersonal until it's completed and you talk to a rep again for pickup. All that being said, they have always given a reasonable attempt to correct the issue and I haven't had any crummy work performed.

Every service center is going to be different but I wouldn't be concerned at this point if I were you.

Interesting. When mine was in the shop to have the corner windows moved back further (to give the falcon wing doors more clearance), I could not see status in the app. It just shows as 'in service'. They did mine pretty fast, overnight. They also had the parts on hand as well. I did not feel the need to bug them about it, nor did they give me an expected completion date/time, but I did not ask either. Which is probably my bad. As far as I can tell, they did a great job though.

If they have to readjust the doors, it could take a while, that thing is a nightmare. That is why they suggested for me to move the windows back a hair to give more clearance and I was OK with that, because otherwise the doors seemed very well aligned. I did not want to mess with that either.

Updates (apologize for being late):

Eventually the issue was fixed on last Wednesday. The solution is the same as most other people: moving the corner window back further. The fix is okay to me, since there is not much door alignment issue either (there is when looking carefully, but it seems common when I compared with other Tesla cars in the lot).

The timeline overall was not slow: Monday morning to noon Wednesday. The interesting thing is that, the man at service department never gave me enough details, even though he knew what is going on (he must have the basic knowledge to understand what the tapes on the window mean). He always told me to "let them finish the work", without any update on progress or fix details (I was asking whether it is major or minor issue). So at 10am Wednesday morning when I was in SC, he did not want to give me any progress or details (after I explicitly asked). Then at around 12:30pm when I was in my office, he texted me they have fixed it (and still not even trying to tell me how it was fixed). I'm not trying to blame them, maybe it is their work discipline to not leak such the progress and fix details? His attitude was not bad. It is just lacking of transparency throughout the process...

Reactions: ValleyGeek
I just dont't think they are all trained to do this sort of customer service. I have no doubt they are reasonably competent to do the work, but the service and communication from Tesla has been spotty to non-existent. When I brought mine in, the guy said he had the parts and it would be able to be worked right away. They gave me a loaner, so i did not even ask how long it would be. The next day they texted me it was ready and I cam by that afternoon, before closing, to pick it up. He let me inspect the work and check the travel of the doors, which I did. Once I was happy, I gave him the loaner keys back and I left.

Updates (apologize for being late):

Eventually the issue was fixed on last Wednesday. The solution is the same as most other people: moving the corner window back further. The fix is okay to me, since there is not much door alignment issue either (there is when looking carefully, but it seems common when I compared with other Tesla cars in the lot).

The timeline overall was not slow: Monday morning to noon Wednesday. The interesting thing is that, the man at service department never gave me enough details, even though he knew what is going on (he must have the basic knowledge to understand what the tapes on the window mean). He always told me to "let them finish the work", without any update on progress or fix details (I was asking whether it is major or minor issue). So at 10am Wednesday morning when I was in SC, he did not want to give me any progress or details (after I explicitly asked). Then at around 12:30pm when I was in my office, he texted me they have fixed it (and still not even trying to tell me how it was fixed). I'm not trying to blame them, maybe it is their work discipline to not leak such the progress and fix details? His attitude was not bad. It is just lacking of transparency throughout the process...

SAs can be hit or miss. When you get the Service survey via email, make sure you provide this feedback. Generally they want to get cars out as fast as possible and they usually tell you what is wrong.