Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First day on the AutoPilot trial.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Last night I got the 32.2 update, and this morning I got the screen for the 14 day autopilot trial. So I got started on it.

For the first 40-50 miles, the steering wheel AP icon would flash, which I took to mean it was learning / calibrating. So I left it alone and drove it normally.

After that, it was able to drive the car, more and more throughout the day.

My Model 3 has always been called Model 3, but the autopilot earned itself a name pretty quickly. It's name is A$$hole.

As in: "Change lanes, A$$hole". "Slow down, A$$hole". "Hey A$$hole, are you trying to get me killed?!?!?!", and "Hey A$$hole, I think you missed a few potholes back there".

It does the TACC pretty well in rush hour traffic, as long as it has a car to follow, it is ok. But if there's only a paint line on one side of the lane, or no paint lines, or a center paint line and a row of cars on the right, you better hang on to the wheel!

I tried using the turn signal to change lanes while on autopilot, and it did it the first couple times, but it wouldn't do it after that. And I thought that if I had a route in the Google Maps on the screen, the autopilot would follow it, but it doesn't. It's ok until it gets to the first turn, stop sign, red light, or split in the road. Sharp turns, even at low speed, it can't handle those either.

But I'll continue to drive it and see how it goes.

Tesla will get some autopilot sales from this trial, but for those who don't buy, Tesla should consider a $50 per month subscription for a "Commuter Pack". You get the TACC and it works at low speeds, and up to speeds over 50 mph for 1 minute before it turns off.

Tried autopilot on my test drive last week and basically had the same conclusion. The car drove a bit too aggressively to my liking and I imagine folks with motion sickness won't be too fond of that. In addition, here in MI we have terrible roads. While a human driver would swerve to avoid the large potholes, that thing would hit 'em dead on. The sporty suspension didn't help either. Guess I'll pay the 6k when the algorithm adopts to MI roads.

"Tesla should consider a $50 per month subscription for a "Commuter Pack". You get the TACC and it works at low speeds, and up to speeds over 50 mph for 1 minute before it turns off."

Thats an interesting concept given all the Model 3's are capable from the start. An "Autopilot On Demand" $$$ feature. It worked for Comcast movies...

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
I would totally pay for EAP as a subscription. My trial hasn't started yet, even after I called Tesla to have them push it to me 10 days ago it still hasn't shown up. I'm super anxious to try it... I keep checking the car to see if the message has popped up yet and it's never there :(

I bought FSD with the M3 thinking new HW would be needed and was hoping Tesla would honor it (looks like they will. Phew !)

When I first tried EAP I wasn’t impressed but after a few days of using it on the highway I LOVE it. You can adjust follow distance to your comfort level.

The one thing which I don’t like is it’s very conservafive on lane changing and the first time I used it it disabled after a day and I had to manually re enable it.

But after that no more issues.

14 days may not be enough to get used to it. I also think AP learns per car along with a network. Because my car gets better even without a firmware update.

When I first got my car I had the same reaction. Felt like I sh*Ted $5,000 down the drain. Now I can't live without it. I can turn On AP as soon as I get on the freeway and turn it Off when I get off with no disengagements now. This is in heavy LA traffic too. It has a wider vision now so it's very smooth. Before it works 98% of the time and 2% that could get your hurt or damage the car. Now it's like 99.8% where I'm comfortable in taking a 2 hour nap on my way to work. That .2% will be someone trading paint with me when theyre merging super slow.

Can't wait for firmware 9. I have great feeling that FSD will work 100% of the time on freeways with current tech. Just need Government approval. Off freeway, I don't think it'll happen for awhile.

I would totally pay for EAP as a subscription. My trial hasn't started yet, even after I called Tesla to have them push it to me 10 days ago it still hasn't shown up. I'm super anxious to try it... I keep checking the car to see if the message has popped up yet and it's never there :(
Are you sure? From post 1 it seems like EAP is a Piece if $hit A$$hole

I use EAP on any freeway driving longer than 1 mile. It's very smooth if you have a clean lane without touching on/off ramp merging, stay in that lane and you will never need to interfere. Changing lane mostly works, but seems conservative, sometimes doesn't wok for reasons I can't fathom. On/off ramp it tends to drift towards the middle of the "wide" lane at the merge point, it's a little unsettling at 1st, but very predictable, and easy to get used to.

I do not use EAP on local roads, but use TACC often.

My first day EAP too.

I was able to eat a burger and fries while driving on 101. Pretty awesome.

One negative is how much yo-yo ing it would do in stop and go traffic, not as bad as the standard driver, but worse than it should. Elon I can build you a complementary filter with traffic data to smooth out the speed more.

Reactions: ebmcs03
Entered the car this morning and I was greeted with the 14-day trial offer (still on 2018.28.1). Accepted it and drove off. Once I got on the expressway I activated EAP and was pleasantly surprised that it kept me in my lane, followed the slight turns and came to a complete stop behind the cars waiting at the light. Turned it off until I got on the highway (State Route 87) and then re-activated it once I cleared the on-ramp. Went the full 9 miles and it worked perfectly. Slowed down and sped up with traffic. Maintained the set following distance when a car moved in front of me. Tested both left and right blinker and the car moved over and automatically cancelled the signal. Minimal touching of the steering wheel and I never got a warning message.

Activated it on the drive home and noticed one little hiccup; when the car I was following merged right into the adjacent lane, my car slowed down. It wasn't a panic stop, more like the car let off the accelerator and regen kicked in (hard). Speed was about 55MPH when this happened. I believe I had set 70 as the max. I got on the accelerator pedal in about a second, lest any car behind me get cozy with my rear bumper. However, I felt TACC take over and speed up fairly fast in order to get back to the programmed 70MPH. As mentioned earlier, it could be a little smoother on speed transitions.

I'll continue to test it out for the duration but ultimately I don't think I'm going to plunk down the $6K. Basically for the same reasons why I didn't buy it in the first place for $5K; probably not going to use it that much, a little bit overpriced for what you get (IMO), would be nice if TACC is unbundled for a lower price.

Someone mentioned how lane changing only worked on roads with a median and no turning lanes. Does AP use the Google Maps to determine which road you're on, and certain abilities are allowed or not allowed just based on that alone?

When following other cars in traffic or red lights, the AP is able to stop and go with them, but acceleration is pretty weak. I didn't try stepping on the electric pedal while it was speeding up, I thought it'd turn off AP. I'll try it today.

There were a couple times yesterday when I was coming to my exit on a highway, and I used the turn signal to go into the exit lane. When the right hand lane lines got wider apart near the exit point, AP would kind of meander around a bit before choosing a lane to go with.

• Informative
Reactions: seattlite2004
When following other cars in traffic or red lights, the AP is able to stop and go with them, but acceleration is pretty weak. I didn't try stepping on the electric pedal while it was speeding up, I thought it'd turn off AP. I'll try it today.

I also feel it is weak. It feels to me like it pulls harder around 45-55mph. I’d rather it go faster at the slower speed and scale back.

Yes, you can “help” it with the accelerator pedal. You will have to okay with it a bit. It doesn’t disable, but it will take control of the speed. For example, if you accelerate above the set speed and then back off, it will go below the set speed - either unil you push harder or totally let off.

Someone mentioned how lane changing only worked on roads with a median and no turning lanes. Does AP use the Google Maps to determine which road you're on, and certain abilities are allowed or not allowed just based on that alone?

Tesla has their own hidden tiles with road info. Likely generated from road data initially.

• Informative
Reactions: seattlite2004
... if there's only a paint line on one side of the lane, or no paint lines, or a center paint line and a row of cars on the right, you better hang on to the wheel! ...

Hold the wheel at all times. Please. This is not a full-self-driving car.

That said, I have local roads with a center line but no line on the right, and it drives them beautifully. But it really shines on the highway/freeway. I have to take over from time to time, but 95% of highway time it's driving itself.

I was not happy with it at all when I first got the car. But you learn what it can and cannot handle, and when to take over yourself. Until then, it's best to try it in short bits until you get used to it. This car is a lot like a computer in some ways, and except for once when I replaced an old computer with a new one of the same type, I've absolutely hated every new computer I've ever bought for the first month or so, until I learned how to use it, as well as what it can and cannot do. EAP in this car is like that. I would hate to drive a car without EAP now.

Darwin Award Applications: Eat food or engage in other activities while driving an EAP car. Your Darwin Award Application will receive high priority. The Committee will mail your Darwin Award certificate to your surviving family members. This is not a full self-driving car. Your full attention to the road is still required.

Look at the screen and see if there are lines for the lanes adjacent to the one you are currently in. If you see lane lines to one or both sides of your car on the screen then that means:

1) AP cameras have detected the other lane(s)
2) The road you are currently on has been designated as an auto lane change road

Not all roads that have multiple lanes will allow auto lane changes. For example route 1 in Central NJ is a divided highway with 3 lanes but with many many traffic lights. This road can be a bit dicey, especially with all of the traffic lights and intersections, so I can see why Tesla must have disabled auto lane change for that road.

Also take a quick glance at the screen the next time you do an auto lane change and you’ll notice that the solid lane line changes to a dotted lane line during the transition to the other lane and will then go back to a solid line when the lane change is complete.

As you use AP more you will better understand what it excels at and what it sucks at.

Autopilot works amazing except in in the 10w/110 fasttrack lane it cant handle the curves. And especially in the 10e/605N ramp..nearly turned into the wall in the middle of the turn.

But besides those two the tacc feature is a must, however I do wish I had purchased this at 5k. Pretty sure i will pony up the 6k after experiencing this trial.

Haha I use AP everyday on the 10W and 110S fast track. There’s one spot under the bridge while on the 10W where it slams on the brakes. It does well everywhere else.