Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's strange that garage doors are not installed with double safety eyes. The current low set for small children and small dogs. A higher set to see a car. I suspect the garage door industry is not interested in preventing car to door damage.

All good home automation system implementations know garage door status. I have a tilt sensor on my door.

im guessing homeowners (or builders) don’t want them because safety eyes fail. Would also keep from “stepping over” to exit.

Plus - the general opposition to safety stuff these days by some folks.

The way the system works is the receiver is pulling a pulse on the line something like every 6ms to show its safe to operate. Not possible to double up. Might be able to put a relay on the receiver side and just cut the signal. Don’t know how long it would take to recover when powered back up.

Can homelink read your door's status if your door opener has that functionality? Or is homelink always "dumb" no matter what?

the unit in the car is transmit only, so no signal reading is possible.

Its dumb. All it does is function as a garage remote button pressor.

Here marks the moment we stopped using auto open/close

We had pulled the car out to move it closer to the side for another car but i guess it was far enough away for HomeLink to activate automatically and the door started closing. Not seen in the screen or side mirrors, the garage door decided to get in back of the car :rolleyes:

It was a perfect excuse to get a new door though lol

IMG_20200810_064541.jpg

I did go play with the door opener a bit more. If I disconnect the power on the receiver the door will not operate and it takes about 1 sec to recover when I reconnect it. So, one could take another eye beam thing and use the contact set that is open when the beam is broken to provide a second set of eyes. Of course, would need to supply power to the second eye beam device.

Not possible to double up.

Commercial doors have multiple sensors. Larger trucks in particular would not register on a sensor designed to protect people.

I somewhat foolishly put in an expensive garage door that would take a couple of months to replace a panel. My in-laws each destroyed my garage door in separate instances at my old house. Yet I forgot that when I ordered a garage door made 2000 miles from my primary home.

There are some really nice garage doors now. I wanted a custom wood door for my old house. Everyone said they start to need repair after a few years. I found that the german company Hormann bought a west coast door manufacturer that makes wood style doors in aluminum. They also make modern doors as in your photo

Last edited:
Reactions: forkee
Its dumb. All it does is function as a garage remote button pressor.

Here marks the moment we stopped using auto open/close

We had pulled the car out to move it closer to the side for another car but i guess it was far enough away for HomeLink to activate automatically and the door started closing. Not seen in the screen or side mirrors, the garage door decided to get in back of the car :rolleyes:

View attachment 595820

I still have auto close/open on and fear the day this happens. Did you have chime enabled when HL gets activated? I listen intently for that chime if I am moving my car around the driveway.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I still have auto close/open on and fear the day this happens. Did you have chime enabled when HL gets activated? I listen intently for that chime if I am moving my car around the driveway.

yes but not sure if it was heard at the time. it also became an arbitrary sound because the garage door would not activate every time. sometimes on approach the chime would go off but the door didn't move. we'd have to tap the house icon to manually open it. or we would drive off and hear the chime, but look in the rear view mirror and it never closed. it became so unreliable to the point where the above accident was the final straw.

i urge EVERYONE to deactivate this "feature" due to the fact that it cannot work perfectly 100% of the time and could cause damage to car and or door. We also have 2 Teslas and when we both come home at the same time, the garage would auto open then auto close as we arrived.

Reactions: brkaus
I did worse. I close the garage door with the deck lid open once, I did that TWICE. The other time I opened the hatch with my remote not realizing the garage door is closed. I have these giant gouges on my hatch in the same freaking spot!!

yep! same here. the garage door hinges dug right into the bottom lip of the trunk. that was the first instance of owner error. after "fixing" it with touch up paint, we backed into the garage from that point on.