Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Decent Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had to take the Model 3 on it's first long run yesterday - about 510 miles, 8 motorways and some horrendous weather. My take away notes were as follows (no particular order) - any comments/assistance welcome:
  • Range was probably a little lower than I hoped - no speeding or mad driving, but expected a little more TBH. Only had the car three weeks, so we'll see how this goes, as this was nearly all motorway
  • However, range in itself seems less important that the location of Superchargers on your route and how to plan
  • There are hardly any Supercharges in Sussex! This highlights the point above, I needed to 'fill up' before heading in!
  • Supercharging is really quick!
  • The auto windscreen wipers worked brilliantly (not expected!)
  • The auto main beam was excellent once it was on (again, not sure I expected that), but I sometimes had issues getting to to come on at all
  • There are some nice people to chat to whilst Supercharging...
  • Watching Netflix while charging - wow, whole new world right there
  • The sat nav dropped us into 'voids of blur and black' with just a blue line for a few periods of 10 mins each - not great when I needed it
  • Departing the toll booths on the motorway is awesome :)
  • Autopilot (not FSD) on the motorways was pretty good and made the trip quite relaxing
  • The 'phantom braking' when on the nearside lane near an exit is a pain
  • You don't seem to be able to add waypoints to the sat nav - really?
  • I kinda miss a simple speed limiter
  • Ambient lights and puddle lights - little things
  • It seems hard to simply select the speed you are currently travelling at for cruise control, the car seem to like to set it to the speed limit (not great in roadworks). I need help here I think
  • The car feels really sure-footed in monsoon conditions
  • Spotify is a bit buggy - sometimes just kinda 'freezes' and loses albums
  • Stones still chip the windscreen :-(
  • Android Auto used to read my Facebook and What'sApp messages to me
  • I love TeslaFI reporting
Overall I got home way more relaxed that I would have done in my old ICE, I just need to get my head round route planning I guess. I tried hard with ABRP, but I clearly need to work on my settings, as once it went wrong early in a trip, the remainder was of no use.

I think this is really useful insight.

Few points I've thought of when reading through:

Had to take the Model 3 on it's first long run yesterday - about 510 miles, 8 motorways and some horrendous weather. My take away notes were as follows (no particular order) - any comments/assistance welcome:
  • Range was probably a little lower than I hoped - no speeding or mad driving, but expected a little more TBH. Only had the car three weeks, so we'll see how this goes, as this was nearly all motorway
  • However, range in itself seems less important that the location of Superchargers on your route and how to plan
  • It seems hard to simply select the speed you are currently travelling at for cruise control, the car seem to like to set it to the speed limit (not great in roadworks). I need help here I think
If you were on the motorway, sitting at 70, that's going to eat range quicker than driving a little slower would do. In addition, the weather won't have helped your range either.

The easiest thing with the cruise control is to get to the speed you want by setting cruise to on and then rolling the right hand button on the steering wheel down to the speed you require.

Spotify is reliant on the signal from the LTE connection and if you hit dead spots (it's a phone signal at the end of the day) then that can cause issues.

I think it's good to plan further, like you said, for longer trips. I'm likely to be doing a trip from Leicester to Barmouth (North Wales) in about 4 weeks time (dependent on Lockdown easing in both England and Wales). I think I'd probably look to avoid ABRP unless you were really confident. I'd also download Zap Map, this is a really useful tool which helps you find other chargers nearby or on your route. I'm sure there are also a couple of other apps. Think Plugshare is another one.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the ride post toll booth :)

It took me a while (duh) to figure out waypoints in ABRP. Once I twigged, it was fine. Waypoints in the car? Clueless. I plan to go SC to SC on my big trip so that kinda sorts the actual drive while ABRP is the overall planner of choice.

Right scroll wheel to adjust speeds when in work zones. If there is a better way, tell me.

Looking forward to about 1000 miles in a fortnight when the borders open. Thanks for the reflection. Sorry to hear about the glass dings.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
I’m with you on the need for a simple speed limiter. It’s so basic and incredibly useful.
As far as I can tell, cruise will always set the current limit not your current speed. Just drop it with the right scroll wheel.
See my post re autospeed. Autosteer and TACC seem to argue about speed limits!
We test drove in torrential rain. Sure footed it certainly was.
Sorry about your windscreen. Hope that’s an easy patch

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
I have never been convinced by the whole "rain affects your range" thing. Sure it increase the rolling resistance so for the same journey at the same speed rain increases your W/m but in the real world when it rains heavily I have to slow down and the increased efficiency at lower speed compensates for the rain so the net effect is much less than theory predicts

• Informative
Reactions: DelPhonic1
It seems hard to simply select the speed you are currently travelling at for cruise control, the car seem to like to set it to the speed limit (not great in roadworks). I need help here I think
The manual states that it will cruise at the greater of your current speed or the speed limit.

Understand what you're asking for though - think the only way is to bring the speed down with the right wheel.

Would really encourage everyone to read the manual in full especially the autopilot section - there's a bunch of intricacies which I think explains most of the behaviour people experience (whether that's helpful or not is a different thing!)

You could always turn the speed limiter on in settings to say 75mph if you're worried about getting carried away leaving toll booths!

Yes, Spotify can be really annoying. I use it loads but they really need to sort it out and stop messing with Spotify's code or way of doing things.

If you like Teslafi, check out Teslamate. Much better (and free) but requires self-hosting.

Thanks for this! I had similar experiences recently, but thought id add my comments below

There are hardly any Supercharges in Sussex! This highlights the point above, I needed to 'fill up' before heading in!
Agreed. hopefully we will get one soon. Brighton and Crawley are on the cards (apparently) and I know Crawley service was meant to be ready 6-9 months from the start of the year (No idea how Covid has affected this).

The auto windscreen wipers worked brilliantly (not expected!)
Anyone else get wiper blades going crazy when the sun is lower and driving through shadows? seriously annoying.

You don't seem to be able to add waypoints to the sat nav - really?
Agreed, could really do with this.

It seems hard to simply select the speed you are currently travelling at for cruise control, the car seem to like to set it to the speed limit (not great in roadworks). I need help here I think
Initiating TACC at 70 in a 60 will set it to 70, initiating TACC at 50 in a 60 will set it to 60. if you have your foot on the accelerator when initiating then it will not accelerate to the set speed, only to what your foot is telling it to do. This gives time to scroll down to 50. Failing that, initiate TACC when behind another car going the speed you want. It wont accelerate due to the car in front giving you plenty of time to scroll to 50.

Spotify is a bit buggy - sometimes just kinda 'freezes' and loses albums
Im getting increasingly annoyed about this. Its such a shame as this should be quite an easy thing to make work id think.

Overall I got home way more relaxed that I would have done in my old ICE, I just need to get my head round route planning I guess. I tried hard with ABRP, but I clearly need to work on my settings, as once it went wrong early in a trip, the remainder was of no use.
Give me a shout via DM if youve got any questions about usability. Ive spent quite a bit of time trying to work out how it all works and i think ive got to a point where id now be comfortable with trusting it.

On the point of Facebook and WhatsApp messages.. I'm being a bit stuffy I guess but how important is it really that you keep up to date with that stuff while you're driving? Maybe your FB/WhatsApp groups are different from mine, but it's not typically what people use to get hold of me quickly, and I can live without memes until I get to wherever I was headed :)

The nav waypoints thing is a glaring omission for sure. I have also noticed Spotify dropping out (my normal commute would take me through a blackspot) and then it doesn't resume, just saying "Loading error", and if I do manage to get it started again by tapping the display it seems to forget the fact it was playing a playlist or whatever, and only play that one song :(

I tried Netflix in the car recently (hadn't driven anywhere) and it was lovely, especially with the premium sound system. Dare I say it it sounded better than being indoors.

On the point of Facebook and WhatsApp messages.. I'm being a bit stuffy I guess but how important is it really that you keep up to date with that stuff while you're driving? Maybe your FB/WhatsApp groups are different from mine, but it's not typically what people use to get hold of me quickly, and I can live without memes until I get to wherever I was headed :)

Both my son and my brother send me messages (one on each service!) as they don't know I'm driving. With some messages, I will stop and call them to discuss their question/comment. I agree it is a 'first world problem', but the car will apparently read SMS messages, but who sends those these days?

I guess the comment was largely related to the frustration of moving from a cheap car with Android Auto and losing functionality - one gets used to the convenience, as it works quite well - I seem to remember that Android Auto could even be set to reply to messages saying 'Currently driving, will call later'

Both my son and my brother send me messages (one on each service!) as they don't know I'm driving. With some messages, I will stop and call them to discuss their question/comment. I agree it is a 'first world problem', but the car will apparently read SMS messages, but who sends those these days?

I guess the comment was largely related to the frustration of moving from a cheap car with Android Auto and losing functionality - one gets used to the convenience, as it works quite well - I seem to remember that Android Auto could even be set to reply to messages saying 'Currently driving, will call later'

Totally agree re: the convenience of being able to listen/respond to WhatsApp messages on the move on Android Auto...you just get into a new way of operating when it works well.

Unfortunately in the US a lot of (potentially most) people still use SMS! WhatsApp is a bit of a novelty to a lot of Americans, it's much bigger here in Europe.

I've met people at work who've come over from the US and are installing WhatsApp for the first time because everyone here uses it...seems extraordinary!

If you listen to tech podcasts from American sites like the Verge they'll bang on about SMS and SMS apps forever and it took me a while to realise why...

(I think root cause of that is that their SMS service has evolved quite differently to ours in the UK and does a lot of the stuff that WhatsApp does - while ours hasn't at all and is as clunky and rubbish as it's always been!)

Last edited:
  • There are hardly any Supercharges in Sussex! This highlights the point above, I needed to 'fill up' before heading in!
  • Supercharging is really quick!
  • The auto windscreen wipers worked brilliantly (not expected!)
  • The auto main beam was excellent once it was on (again, not sure I expected that), but I sometimes had issues getting to to come on at all
  • There are some nice people to chat to whilst Supercharging...
  • Watching Netflix while charging - wow, whole new world right there
  • The sat nav dropped us into 'voids of blur and black' with just a blue line for a few periods of 10 mins each - not great when I needed it
  • Departing the toll booths on the motorway is awesome :)
  • Autopilot (not FSD) on the motorways was pretty good and made the trip quite relaxing
  • The 'phantom braking' when on the nearside lane near an exit is a pain
  • You don't seem to be able to add waypoints to the sat nav - really?
  • I kinda miss a simple speed limiter
  • Ambient lights and puddle lights - little things
  • The car feels really sure-footed in monsoon conditions
  • Stones still chip the windscreen :-(
  • Android Auto used to read my Facebook and What'sApp messages to me
  • I love TeslaFI reporting

Unless I’m missing something or Tesla has changed something since I bought my ‘16 S & X, you turn on ACC with the lower left stalk. If you want to increase your speed, you can just push the stalk up release it and it will increase the speed to the next 5 mph increment (For instance, if it is set to 49 mph and you push up the stalk, it will increase to 50 mph and, if you push it again, it will go to 55 mph. Pushing the stalk down will act the same only in reverse). Hope this helps.

Unless I’m missing something or Tesla has changed something since I bought my ‘16 S & X, you turn on ACC with the lower left stalk. If you want to increase your speed, you can just push the stalk up release it and it will increase the speed to the next 5 mph increment (For instance, if it is set to 49 mph and you push up the stalk, it will increase to 50 mph and, if you push it again, it will go to 55 mph. Pushing the stalk down will act the same only in reverse). Hope this helps.

There is no lower stalk on the Model 3, but there is a little wheel on the steering wheel that allows you do change the speed. The issue I was having was that in the road works on the M6 (where it is 50mph limit) triggering the TACC sets it to 70mph and then you have to scroll down quickly to stop the speed increasing (as I remember it), but I kind of wanted it to come on at the speed I was going (which was 50 mph) like all my other cruise controls have always done.

I'll get used to, but i was just asking... ;)

Reactions: Jam-Man
I also took my M3 LR on its first long trip yesterday since having it delivered on Tuesday last week. 420 miles on mostly motorways. Agree with much of spooksman's summary; a few more from me...

Range was actually ok. Charged up to 98% with scheduled 7am departure and managed 148 miles to the Keele Supercharger on the M6.
At this point I had over 45% remaining, so charged up to 80 for the remaining 60 miles.
The supercharger started at a great rate of 130kw but tailed down to 60.
The second leg of the drive involved heavy "hammering down" rain and standing water but the car always felt poised with no feeling of aquaplaning. I would say better than my BMW 330e and Audi A3 e-tron.
The autopilot is fantastic on a quiet motorway, but I quickly learned to only set it when in the centre of a lane or it swerves dramatically to hit the centre.
I also found it kept me too close to other cars alongside me in the adjacent lane when passing - maybe just me?!
50mph average speed check roadworks - dull in any car!
Exiting 50mph roadworks back up to 70(ish) with some impatient lemon in a Merc A-Class behind you is a lot of fun!
People at motorway services will drop their litter on the floor even if parked next to a bin
My 12 year old is better at buggy racer than me.
I am better at chess than my 12 year old.
A moth inside your car will (repeatedly) set off the alarm which involves lots of high pitched beeps and deafening rock music from the stereo system.
The Tesla app doesn't send me any notifications from Sentry Mode. Maybe it's the lease car / no Tesla website account link issue - even though the app works?
The seat lumbar adjust never quite gets the right spot. BMW M-Sport seats (and Audi S-Line) are better - especially with the seat base extending forward behind your knees.
Lots of sunlight hits you from the side window. My arms and side of my face were uncomfortable but the cabin was at 20 degrees and a little chilly.
The A-Pillar is a significant blind spot in car parks.
The boot is plentiful - especially with the lower bin and additional space in the "froot".
Driving home seems like twice as long as driving there even if it's the same distance.

Reactions: Roy W. and Cogarch
Would be a massive help if the M3 read speed limit signs as many more basic cars do, rather than relying on the map which is often very out of date. And the map won’t know about temporary speed limits. In my Nissan I found it incredibly useful to be reminded of the speed limit on the last overhead gantry I passed on the M25 or M42. Speed cameras on nav would also be good.

Would be a massive help if the M3 read speed limit signs as many more basic cars do, rather than relying on the map which is often very out of date. And the map won’t know about temporary speed limits. In my Nissan I found it incredibly useful to be reminded of the speed limit on the last overhead gantry I passed on the M25 or M42. Speed cameras on nav would also be good.

ISTR that the car used to read the speed limit signs but some smart arse academic showed how a 30mph sign could be turned into 80mph with a bit of duct tape :-(