Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First delivery scheduled ! (TeslaMotors blog)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know how many Fouders cars there are? The fact that they are delivering cars is encouraging. When Elon's P1 was delivered, it wasn't till quite a while later that P2 was delivered.

So will they deliver all the Founders cars, some subset of that, or some Founders as well as some Signatures?

Do we know how many Fouders cars there are? The fact that they are delivering cars is encouraging. When Elon's P1 was delivered, it wasn't till quite a while later that P2 was delivered.

So will they deliver all the Founders cars, some subset of that, or some Founders as well as some Signatures?

You mean you don't have any inside information? You are like a head moderator of this 'better than the real' site and in Stanford and all, no special treatment for you?
my guess is ALL of the founders cars, at least ; > It is a party right?

34 Founders cars*. Last two being George and Franz

*Could be 32 or 33. memory is sketchy

Yes! At $90k retail minus $40m deposit, that's $1.5m cash for Tesla in Q2/2012.

Ummm, not quite. It's better than that.....Tesla can only recognize the deposits as revenue once the purchase transaction is completed. Till now they haven't been able to recognize it as such, although they have been able to use the cash they still had to hold it as a liability on their balance sheet. They will have recognized as revenue the non-refundable $10k from each car as reservation holders have signed the MVPA's so the real unexpected revenue in Q2 will be 30 cars (or whatever the number of Founders are) x $80k = $2.4m.

Yes! At $90k retail minus $40m deposit, that's $1.5m cash for Tesla in Q2/2012. To be followed by another 1000 signature cars over the next month - oh well, you get it.

It would be $2.7 M in revenue (your retail estimate of $90K x 30). The accounting practice is as follows: reservations sit on the balance sheet as a liability until the final sale (the reservations are not classified as cash or any other asset because they are 100% refundable). So, Tesla has yet to book any Model S reservations as sales (and, again, they are not recognized as cash either). Tesla will book the full amount as sales once they start delivery on June 22nd. If there are in fact 30 cars delivered between June 22nd and the following Saturday (June 30). Tesla would book around $30 Million in revenue from Model S sales in Q2 (I'm speculating the first 30 reservations probably went with the performance model, just a guess).

Yes! At $90k retail minus $40m deposit, that's $1.5m cash for Tesla in Q2/2012. To be followed by another 1000 signature cars over the next month - oh well, you get it.

Have a feeling the June 22 delivery will probably be <20 cars, all founders. Highly doubt 1000 cars are to be produced the next month. I know everyone is excited, but it is still a new manufacturing line, and just because they have new robots doesn't mean they all work flawlessly.

Have a feeling the June 22 delivery will probably be <20 cars, all founders. Highly doubt 1000 cars are to be produced the next month. I know everyone is excited, but it is still a new manufacturing line, and just because they have new robots doesn't mean they all work flawlessly.

I wonder how many of the founders chose factory delivery. What if they want it delivered to their home? Well, yeah, that's still only about 20 cars, but *maybe* there'll be a couple Sig Special reservationists there, too, as "real" -- sort of like actual "production" car buyers. Since I'm near the front of the line, I can dream, can't I?