Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First detail - Finding lots of issues..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the car last week and of course wanted to drive it around and enjoy it a bit, so I have 93 miles on it (had 3 when I drove it off the lot). I knew that once I started my detail the car would be parked for several days, but as I am discovering ~12-15 hours into my detail job, this is going to take much longer then I expected.

The amount of chips this car has with only 90 miles on it makes it look more like what my Charger SRT had when I sold it with 9k miles on it that included a few long distance road trips. This car has not even seen the highway yet! I honestly suspect that the car was delivered with many of them and based on the GOBS of polishing compound that had been baked into the paint, they tried to address some of them before delivery.

A few light scratches, and some hazing in some spots (I assume leftovers from the dealers job) but knock on wood, nothing a hand polish with some more abrasive compound can't address (I'm using a gloss pad with gloss compound to take off as little clear coat as possible unless needed).

So here I am, 1/2 way into my 1st pass on the detail job and I guess I'll have to wait 5-7 days to get some touch up paint from Tesla before I can keep going any further on the next steps... Some of them are in area's that could not have been caused by rocks getting slung up from the road (rear tailgate just under the plate, roof facing window trim etc..). So while I am excited by the panel fitment even after having my hands all over the car now for several hours, the paint still is not up to par, and yes I know that 99% of people wouldn't notice most of the issues I am finding with the paint, but its that 1% I care about. ;)

Attachments

• PXL_20210727_142128883.jpg
    PXL_20210727_142128883.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Reactions: aspushkin
Got the car last week and of course wanted to drive it around and enjoy it a bit, so I have 93 miles on it (had 3 when I drove it off the lot). I knew that once I started my detail the car would be parked for several days, but as I am discovering ~12-15 hours into my detail job, this is going to take much longer then I expected.

The amount of chips this car has with only 90 miles on it makes it look more like what my Charger SRT had when I sold it with 9k miles on it that included a few long distance road trips. This car has not even seen the highway yet! I honestly suspect that the car was delivered with many of them and based on the GOBS of polishing compound that had been baked into the paint, they tried to address some of them before delivery.

A few light scratches, and some hazing in some spots (I assume leftovers from the dealers job) but knock on wood, nothing a hand polish with some more abrasive compound can't address (I'm using a gloss pad with gloss compound to take off as little clear coat as possible unless needed).

So here I am, 1/2 way into my 1st pass on the detail job and I guess I'll have to wait 5-7 days to get some touch up paint from Tesla before I can keep going any further on the next steps... Some of them are in area's that could not have been caused by rocks getting slung up from the road (rear tailgate just under the plate, roof facing window trim etc..). So while I am excited by the panel fitment even after having my hands all over the car now for several hours, the paint still is not up to par, and yes I know that 99% of people wouldn't notice most of the issues I am finding with the paint, but its that 1% I care about. ;)
The Tesla touch up paint is actually really nice package. Not only it includes the paint, but also a squeege, a “blending solution”, 2 different size brushes, gloves 🤷🏻‍♂️, a small microfiber cloth.

i have used the paint without the blending step since the chips I repaired are either too small or on edge of panel so I just applied the paint carefully. Color match really well, better than other touch up paints I had experience with before

Just a little update. Was able to spend another few hours working the paint over the past few days. At this point all of the painted surfaces have their first pass on them. I also completed a dark room inspection and was able to mark a few more areas that still need some final hand work. The glass, trim and hood are now completely ready (other then a final IPA wipe down). I did however have to step up to a cutting pad and compound on the entire trunk to remove a TON of water spots.. Seriously, it looked like a baked in water fall from the license plate holder down. I suspect that when the car was delivered, the SC backed it into a parking spot that gets hit with a irrigation sprinkler head, then of course it got baked into the paint. Pretty pissed about that and for sure something to keep in mind if (well when) I take the car in for service (more on that later) and ask them not to park in along the grass.

Hood shot:

PXL_20210730_022028701.jpg

More inspection shots:

PXL_20210730_022007053.jpg
PXL_20210730_022922231.jpg
PXL_20210730_023057470.jpg

Here is one to help visualize the hue difference on the bumper even on a blue car (not as bad a white, but still....):

PXL_20210730_022907107.jpg

And finally, since I can't drive my car, I figured I would sit in the drivers seat and listen to the radio for a bit with my freshly installed matte screen protector:

PXL_20210730_024016983.jpg

And that is when I noticed my drivers side coat hook will not latch closed... So I get to drop my car off to get the SC so they can rip the headliner trim off. Really sucks considering I will never even use it. I wasn't going to report this issue, but since we are pulling it off anyway to address the stupid coat hanger, might as well fix this bubble too....

PXL_20210722_120129555.jpg

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. lol

Last edited:
I haven’t gotten to a detail yet but I did spot a nick in the clear coat on my frunk. I just hit it with a clear coat pen, let it dry for a few mins and got the overlap and it disappeared.

1629599404214.jpeg
1629599451090.jpeg
I do see two faint distortions on my passenger door. Doesn’t feel like a dent or a bump but I can see the light bend slightly. It’s not super noticeable but I need to inspect more.
1629600023982.jpeg

Last edited: