Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First drive for spouse...any tips, guys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone who drives my Tesla loves it and loves it quick. But the women that have fall in love almost even quicker and it is always the smooth ride. I think they really notice and appreciate the smooth ride and lack of shifting. It is always the first thing I hear. Also I think that the acceleration is so fun but you feel in control the entire time makes it less like a boys race car.

The massive amount of acceleration affects people in unpredictable ways, so maybe leave that out of the first drive. I gave my best friend -- who is a car nut -- a ride which included a 0-60 launch and he kindly asked me to never ever do that again.

I have a messed up inner ear and get motion sick easily. I'm OK driving, though I have occasionally felt a little twinge on curvy roads, but the max acceleration on even the 90D is a bit too much for my ears. I don't get "need a motion sickness bag" sick, but I do get queasy.

Everyone who drives my Tesla loves it and loves it quick. But the women that have fall in love almost even quicker and it is always the smooth ride. I think they really notice and appreciate the smooth ride and lack of shifting. It is always the first thing I hear. Also I think that the acceleration is so fun but you feel in control the entire time makes it less like a boys race car.

My SO and I are sort of the opposite. She loves accelerating hard, going fast, etc. She said when she was in college a friend had a Corvette and she got going so fast out in Eastern Washington the nose started to come off the ground.

Her father had a car dealership when she was a teenager and was a mechanic before that. She spent a lot of time around cars when she was a kid. She said her father's dealership is still there. I believe now it only sells Saabs, though he imported a number of cars when she was a kid. She ended up with a string of cars, mostly sports cars or sporty cars when she first started driving.

On the other hand, I never really cared all that much about cars. I was crazy about aircraft from an early age, but had little interest in anything without wings. My appreciation for Tesla probably comes more from my engineering background than any interest in cars.

Awesome.

First, safety.
Second. safety. Show the you tube videos of the crash tests.
Third. safety. Yes, 3x is the charm.
Fourth. Savings on gas. Run the spreadsheet --> 100K miles on gas $3/gal 25 mpg vs $.11 per kWh x size of battery x range. That in itself is compelling.
Fifth. If they can pull the battery pack out in 10 yrs and charge you < $10K, you have.... a brand new car basically. For <$10K.

The car sells itself.

Awesome.

First, safety.
Second. safety. Show the you tube videos of the crash tests.
Third. safety. Yes, 3x is the charm.
Fourth. Savings on gas. Run the spreadsheet --> 100K miles on gas $3/gal 25 mpg vs $.11 per kWh x size of battery x range. That in itself is compelling.
Fifth. If they can pull the battery pack out in 10 yrs and charge you < $10K, you have.... a brand new car basically. For <$10K.

The car sells itself.
Let's not indulge too much in gender stereotypes that women don't enjoy or appreciate the more "fun" aspects.

I would discuss with her creep mode and decide weather you want it on or off for her first drive. It's probably best to leave it on since that's how a regular auto trans works. If she's used to driving a stick shift only, then I'd actually turn it off.

Reactions: gavine
I was all in on Tesla before I'd ever seen one IRL. When my husband said he wanted to buy one and insisted I take a test drive (He'd already done it 3X) said no, I'm good - just get it. ;)

Now I'm the Tesla Fanboi (girl) and he thinks I'm a dork. Anyway not knowing your wife, I think everyone is blown away by the car once they drive or ride in it. You got this. :)

I bought a Smart ED in 2013. My wife thought I was nuts. A few days after delivery, seeing how much fun I was having with it, she took it out with my son to do the school run instead of her Mercedes SUV. For the next year and a half, the SUV never got driven if the Smart was in the driveway. She was hooked on EV's just like me.
Cut to the chase, one night at 11PM, I woke her up and told her I had just purchased a Tesla and put the $1000 reservation on our credit card. She went back to bed, woke up the next morning and said DID YOU JUST BUY A TESLA?!?! I said it was her car, and that we'd go together to check it out. She takes it on trips, supercharges it, and otherwise drives it like any other owner here. Happy wife, happy life.

My wife told me and the salesmen that the things she liked best about the car was a) acceleration b) regen c) quietness. The regen in particular impressed her because it was so unique. I think I'd just leave everything alone and just drive the sumbitch.

Not too sure why people are saying to turn on creep, and turn off regen to make the car into a pseudo-ICE for the test drive. Isn't that being kind of condescending? "Only a man can handle what an EV really feels like. Women can't handle cars that stay still until the accelerator is pressed, and a car slowing down when the accelerator is released."

I only get to "borrow" it on weekends.... sigh....

It's gotten to the point she can hardly drive my ICE (leaves it running when she leaves the car, can't get gas, finds the gear-shift awkward and non-intuitive, has difficulty parking it, or backing up, etc...).

Or maybe she's just saying these things to me to keep me out of her Tesla....o_O

Not too sure why people are saying to turn on creep, and turn off regen to make the car into a pseudo-ICE for the test drive. Isn't that being kind of condescending? "Only a man can handle what an EV really feels like. Women can't handle cars that stay still until the accelerator is pressed, and a car slowing down when the accelerator is released."

I have creep turned on. It is handy for pulling into the garage or backing up.

My SO put the steering on Sport right away when she set up her driver profile. She wouldn't have it any other way.