Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

first drive on autopilot-question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the fatal accidents where the driver clearly wasn't paying any attention, Tesla implemented a system to try to make sure you are paying attention. We won't be without it again until Tesla has an approved level 3 system deployed.

If you rest the weight of your arm on the wheel offset to one side, you should be able to avoid having the prompt come up.

Oddly I have noticed that sometimes it requires very little torquing. Other times I have to rock it so much the car is slightly swerving and about to cut off to get it to recognize. Also seems that traditional 10/2 torquing is less effective than a single hand 5 or 7 o'clock. That works the best for me anyway.

Oddly I have noticed that sometimes it requires very little torquing. Other times I have to rock it so much the car is slightly swerving and about to cut off to get it to recognize. Also seems that traditional 10/2 torquing is less effective than a single hand 5 or 7 o'clock. That works the best for me anyway.

10-2 leaves a balanced force on the wheel, so the car only feels the resistances when it turns the wheel. Five leaves a constant weight for the car to feel, so naturally it works better.