Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First drive on Thusday....BMW Alpina B7 to Tesla P85D?????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@SDRick I think you said it perfectly. I would also be willing to bet that most of the people responding in this thread have NOT owned a maxed out with all the options BMW 7 or Mercedes S. There really is no comparison or way to portray the level of comfort and luxury of these class of cars. As I have stated I have 22K miles on my June '15 delivered Model S85D and would not give it up for any other car available today. With that said, we still take our BMW AH7 out on date nights and long"er" trips because it is one of the most comfortable and luxurious cars available. When NOT in A/P mode in my Tesla, the BMW is still the easiest and best driving car I have ever driven. I feel comfortable saying and backing everything I have said because I DO have 120K miles actually IN that car. If you have ever flown coach and then flown first class in a first class seat, that is a good example of the difference in the way the seats feel and comfort of BMW 7 compared to a MS 85. I am not knocking our Tesla's at all and as I have stated over and over, for my daily commute purposes, I would not have any other car than my MS I have now.

I think you said it perfectly. I agree that most fans likely have not owned one, and driven enough in a 7 Series or S-Class to have a clear understanding of the difference. It is far beyond looks. I have zero attachment to any brand. I had a 7 series, sold it and got an S-Class, sold it and bought an Equus (which I loved by the way), that was a lemon law buyback, next got an A8L, then this time an Alpina B7. Just showing how I can care less about the brand. Heck, I bought a Hyundai luxury car and it was my second favorite to the Alpina. I was so excited to test drive the Tesla. It is all I talked about for a week before it happened to everyone. When I drove it, although not a P, I loved the electronics and technology, I was let down by the comfort and ride of the car not to mention the missing amenities. Anyone who compares the ride of this car to an elite luxury car is way off. Again, it does not ride bad, just not close to those upper echelon vehicles. What bothered me just as much as that it cost as much as those vehicles.

Good point about the buyer demographic. I think a majority of Tesla Model S owners came from "lower end" cars and stretched for the Model S because they felt it was revolutionary, etc. I feel that most who have owned luxury cars for years (in the $130k+ range) would find the Tesla Model S pretty... bland. I'm generalizing here to get the point out that the Model S interior luxury and fit/finish is not as good as most other cars in that price range.

My own opinion: I feel there are way more benefits to the Model S and I probably wouldn't spend $150k on a new S-Class because it doesn't seem that much more advanced than say a 5-series or E-Class for the price. The Model S is worth the price just for the overall driving experience and technology... (to me).

I think you said it perfectly. I agree that most fans likely have not owned one, and driven enough in a 7 Series or S-Class to have a clear understanding of the difference. It is far beyond looks. I have zero attachment to any brand. I had a 7 series, sold it and got an S-Class, sold it and bought an Equus (which I loved by the way), that was a lemon law buyback, next got an A8L, then this time an Alpina B7. Just showing how I can care less about the brand. Heck, I bought a Hyundai luxury car and it was my second favorite to the Alpina. I was so excited to test drive the Tesla. It is all I talked about for a week before it happened to everyone. When I drove it, although not a P, I loved the electronics and technology, I was let down by the comfort and ride of the car not to mention the missing amenities. Anyone who compares the ride of this car to an elite luxury car is way off. Again, it does not ride bad, just not close to those upper echelon vehicles. What bothered me just as much as that it cost as much as those vehicles.

When you drove the tesla, did you give it full throttle? Because "I loved the electronics and technology" sounds like someone who has never driven the car or at least not driven properly. I've driven all the german cars you own and the torque and smooth power deliver make a german V12 or twin turbo V8 feel a cro-magnon era powertrain. Noisy, rough, weak, and slow to respond. They can't compete with an electric powertrain. The other day a BMW m4 tried to overtake me and by the time he was in the right gear and on boost, I completely smoked his ass and he was several car lengths behind me.

I have a friend who explained (rationalized) her Model S purchase thusly: "I'm buying a $60,000 car and 'donating' $30,000 to EV research." This made her feel better about the poshness gap with comparably-priced luxury sedans.

This is what I will be thinking when I get my MS!

I am a current BMW 5 owner. We frequently go out on lunch trips in a co-work's MS85 with air suspension. In a few times that we took my 5 out, most co-workers would comment that it rides better than the MS85, although the MS85 owner disagrees ;)

It is funny that most MS owners will always default back with the torque advantage in comparison. There is the full spectrum of driving dynamics to compare, straight-line acceleration is just one data point.

Good point about the buyer demographic. I think a majority of Tesla Model S owners came from "lower end" cars and stretched for the Model S because they felt it was revolutionary, etc. I feel that most who have owned luxury cars for years (in the $130k+ range) would find the Tesla Model S pretty... bland. I'm generalizing here to get the point out that the Model S interior luxury and fit/finish is not as good as most other cars in that price range.

My own opinion: I feel there are way more benefits to the Model S and I probably wouldn't spend $150k on a new S-Class because it doesn't seem that much more advanced than say a 5-series or E-Class for the price. The Model S is worth the price just for the overall driving experience and technology... (to me).

I agree. I have been lucky to own many expensive beautiful cars. My wife never cared for expensive cars and would never care about driving a new S class Benz. However, she is in love with her new model s even though she is probably obvious to its insane 135k price tag. I think it's still missing a few key features but none that can't be added thru software updates. And the next gen seats are pretty comf! We merging onto a highway last night from 0-80 in about 4 seconds with zero effort is priceless.

I had a Tesla and crashed it and a Hyundai Genesis at the same time and I would say the interior and comfort of my 2009 genesis was superior to my $100,000 Tesla and I promised myself after crashing the tesla that I would not buy another one until the interior matches the price tag. currently it does not come close. I'm also waiting for the next battery which I believe will be better and cheaper because of the giga factory and the next sensor suite which will be required for autonomous driving.

theres also the problem with depreciation. It's massive partly because of the interior looking far cheaper than the price tag. It's even worse for the top tesla, which depreciates quicker, although it basically looks identical to the lowest model

Last edited:
When you drove the tesla, did you give it full throttle? Because "I loved the electronics and technology" sounds like someone who has never driven the car or at least not driven properly. I've driven all the german cars you own and the torque and smooth power deliver make a german V12 or twin turbo V8 feel a cro-magnon era powertrain. Noisy, rough, weak, and slow to respond. They can't compete with an electric powertrain. The other day a BMW m4 tried to overtake me and by the time he was in the right gear and on boost, I completely smoked his ass and he was several car lengths behind me.

I floored it several times. Again, it Was a 90 d which cannot beat either of my cars. And with my tuned m6, I'd love to meet up with a Tesla in a straight run, corners, highway or whatever. I get the instant torque, but let's not get carried away. It's a high torque electric car that is fast. Any sports car pulls on it after the 1/4 mile. I don't care about trap speeds. Ive raced and beat several cars that trapped higher. Can't down talk superior cars. I like the Tesla, but I feel it has a long way to go to be at the 100k plus level.

I floored it several times. Again, it Was a 90 d which cannot beat either of my cars. And with my tuned m6, I'd love to meet up with a Tesla in a straight run, corners, highway or whatever. I get the instant torque, but let's not get carried away. It's a high torque electric car that is fast. Any sports car pulls on it after the 1/4 mile. I don't care about trap speeds. Ive raced and beat several cars that trapped higher. Can't down talk superior cars. I like the Tesla, but I feel it has a long way to go to be at the 100k plus level.

That must be one hell of a tune because in the real world my dad's M6 grand sport is was nowhere near as fast. In controlled conditions, in the right mode, with a stop watch it could turn in some great numbers and beat a top of the line tesla. In the real world if an opening appears in traffic, the Tesla will absolutely leave it for dead while the DCT figures out what gear it needs to be in and the driver waits for the turbos to build boost (yes there is lag even though it's much less than turbos in the past). I haven't even tried a tesla with ludicrous mode, but I imagine the difference would be even greater

I do agree with you that german fit and finish and material quality is vastly superior though.

That must be one hell of a tune because in the real world my dad's M6 grand sport is was nowhere near as fast. In controlled conditions, in the right mode, with a stop watch it could turn in some great numbers and beat a top of the line tesla. In the real world if an opening appears in traffic, the Tesla will absolutely leave it for dead while the DCT figures out what gear it needs to be in and the driver waits for the turbos to build boost (yes there is lag even though it's much less than turbos in the past). I haven't even tried a tesla with ludicrous mode, but I imagine the difference would be even greater

I do agree with you that german fit and finish and material quality is vastly superior though.

I have an MSR intake and a tune with got me to 700HP. I have watched several races online, and even when the Tesla wins (which it does not on all of them) the other vehicles are rapidly closing. Just for peace of mind, I would love to be at highway speeds cruising, and then race one just to see the difference. No doubt amazing torque and insane off the line power, but since most of us do not drag race often, I prefer the highway speed passing power and acceleration. Kind of got off course here though. The power was not in any way the reason I did not buy one. The points that we do agree on are the ones that stopped me at this time. I am a fan and will continue to be active in here every day. When they refine the Model S, which we know they will, I will buy one.

IMHO most typical BMW (and basically all German luxury brand) drivers biggest problem would be the range with the Model S. The rated range of Model S is ~300 miles. Now, it's hard to reach even for the most eco-conscious driver. In Europe there's a stereotype about Germans which is like "they paid for the whole gas pedal, so they use it all the way down". Not just on the Autobahn, everywhere. They like flooring the cars, they like accelerating & fast driving. (But this is true for most big premium/luxury car owners over here. The first accessory that they buy for a new car is a radar jammer. :rolleyes: Seriously!) So if they would get using a Model S the same way that they got used to, the range drop would be very frustrating for them. Even with an (P)90D they would get only half of the rated range, in summer. In winter, even less (around 100 miles only).

IMHO most typical BMW (and basically all German luxury brand) drivers biggest problem would be the range with the Model S. The rated range of Model S is ~300 miles. Now, it's hard to reach even for the most eco-conscious driver. In Europe there's a stereotype about Germans which is like "they paid for the whole gas pedal, so they use it all the way down". Not just on the Autobahn, everywhere. They like flooring the cars, they like accelerating & fast driving. (But this is true for most big premium/luxury car owners over here. The first accessory that they buy for a new car is a radar jammer. :rolleyes: Seriously!) So if they would get using a Model S the same way that they got used to, the range drop would be very frustrating for them. Even with an (P)90D they would get only half of the rated range, in summer. In winter, even less (around 100 miles only).

That could not be further than the truth for me. I prefer a soft ride, and extreme comfort which the reason I have had them all. If I drive it, and it has a ride similar to a 50k car, I expect to pay that price. I would sacrifice the speed of the Tesla for it to be more comfortable to drive. Or should I say buy a lower model if it were more comfortable. Range means nothing to me as I work from home. I have not driven anywhere further than 250 miles in years. It's like paying 400k for a 2br 1 bath home when you can have a 5br 3 bath home for the same price. Of course I am exaggerating a bit, but you get the point. Every BMW owner or similar in here has stated that they do not compare in a lot of ways, and quite a few still kept there other car. Of course the Tesla has a fun factor to it which is liley why it gets driven more. Also the major advantage of no gas. Just not enough for me at this point.

That could not be further than the truth for me. I prefer a soft ride, and extreme comfort which the reason I have had them all. If I drive it, and it has a ride similar to a 50k car, I expect to pay that price. I would sacrifice the speed of the Tesla for it to be more comfortable to drive. Or should I say buy a lower model if it were more comfortable. Range means nothing to me as I work from home. I have not driven anywhere further than 250 miles in years. It's like paying 400k for a 2br 1 bath home when you can have a 5br 3 bath home for the same price. Of course I am exaggerating a bit, but you get the point. Every BMW owner or similar in here has stated that they do not compare in a lot of ways, and quite a few still kept there other car. Of course the Tesla has a fun factor to it which is liley why it gets driven more. Also the major advantage of no gas. Just not enough for me at this point.

Please, don't take it as a personal offense! This is just a generalization, based strictly on European experiences. And as always, there are exceptions, you may be one of them. But as I said, this is a general stereotype over here, so it's not only my opinion. E.g. my father's friend average daytime driving speed with an E-klasse is about 150-180 kph on better quality regular roads (with 90 kph limit), but even I do 120 kph on these low traffic roads sometimes, even though I do not consider myself "being a Schumacher".

Anyway... This might be one reason why Tesla's not succeeded in Germany yet. :confused:

Please, don't take it as a personal offense! This is just a generalization, based strictly on European experiences. And as always, there are exceptions, you may be one of them. But as I said, this is a general stereotype over here, so it's not only my opinion. E.g. my father's friend average daytime driving speed with an E-klasse is about 150-180 kph on better quality regular roads (with 90 kph limit), but even I do 120 kph on these low traffic roads sometimes, even though I do not consider myself "being a Schumacher".

Anyway... This might be one reason why Tesla's not succeeded in Germany yet. :confused:

I agree. I definitely would not even consider one in Germany. Cannot imagine driving with no speed limit. Has to be crazy. Highway speed is so much more important there.

im not particularly partial to any one brand, but I must say that I find the model s to be an extremely smooth ride...and I've owned 8 bmws (all models) over the past 15 years. I just eventually got bored of the same look so I had to look elsewhere.

It also seems like you are really in love with your alpina. I'm not sure why you are even looking at other cars. I used to own a 750 which I know is slightly different and eventually grew bored of it and felt like an old man driving such a huge feeling car.

im not particularly partial to any one brand, but I must say that I find the model s to be an extremely smooth ride...and I've owned 8 bmws (all models) over the past 15 years. I just eventually got bored of the same look so I had to look elsewhere.

It also seems like you are really in love with your alpina. I'm not sure why you are even looking at other cars. I used to own a 750 which I know is slightly different and eventually grew bored of it and felt like an old man driving such a huge feeling car.
I think it being an Alpina takes away the old man feeling that you refer to which I totally understand.
I do love the Alpina, and it would rank first in my list as to vehicles I have owned. However, it is listed on Ebay right now. I am always looking for change. Hard to not like these top end cars, but as you stated, you do eventually get tired of them no matter what. That was part of the lure to the Tesla for me. You wake up, and there may be changes. I will be getting something else soon, but as of right now, it will not be a Model S. I just cannot justify the cost of the top model that I would have to have. I may steal like a 2015 Equus right now as they are relatively inexpensive (owned an 2011 in the past and loved the car), and sit back for a year or two to see what changes come along with electric cars, then make the move.

Your choice of an Alpina confuses me. You claim to want a soft luxurious ride, but the Alpina has a sportier, harsher suspension than the standard BMW 750.
Totally different suspension than a regular 7 series. I drive on comfort+ all the time. Last 7 I had was an 07 so I am sure it's different now. I have not driven a 13+ normal 7 series to compare. However, what I can tell you is that the Alpina drives significantly smoother than the Tesla in every aspect. Smooth roads, bumpy roads etc. If it did not, I would lean towards buying the Tesla. My goal was to test drive and buy a Tesla. I wanted nothing more than to love it. Just didn't go that way.

Totally different suspension than a regular 7 series. I drive on comfort+ all the time. Last 7 I had was an 07 so I am sure it's different now. I have not driven a 13+ normal 7 series to compare. However, what I can tell you is that the Alpina drives significantly smoother than the Tesla in every aspect. Smooth roads, bumpy roads etc. If it did not, I would lean towards buying the Tesla. My goal was to test drive and buy a Tesla. I wanted nothing more than to love it. Just didn't go that way.

I'm not sure what price range you are in. You should take a p90d out for a drive. If you like it, then get a used p85d. I doubt you would be disappointed. Maybe second time is a charm.