Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

N5329K

Aug 12, 2009
California
A gracious neighbor with a beautiful Model 3 offered to give me a tour and a drive and here are a few thoughts (in no particular order):
1. Yes, the car looks even better in person.
2. The interior is nicely finished, feels solid, the seats are firm but supportive, there's tons of headroom and visibility is a lot better than in the S. Entry is fine, even for someone (like me) who often has to crank his head sideways to slip into the driver's seat of most cars. With Model 3's seat dialed full down, I could get in and out without knocking my head on metal.
3. In architecture, the saying goes that the real design challenges are found where one material meets another. The same is true in the Model 3, where there are a few awkward joints in the cabin that leave what seems like structural adhesive visible.
4. The center screen is not a problem. It's not entirely great, but (coming from a Prius V) I can accommodate. Fussing with various menus while underway, however, is a problem and it definitely required way more attention than is (in my opinion) safe. I'm a devout HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) kind of person, and having to keep bringing my eyes inside and down for (what should be) simple operations seems like a major step backwards. Save it for when cars are actually autonomous. They aren't yet.
5. Energy consumption is vastly better than in the S over the same routes and with the same driving characteristics (210 Wh/mile vs 310 Wh/m). That's significant
6. The rear seats are roomy and supportive and not weirdly proportioned.
7. The trunk is plenty big.
8. The hood requires way too much care to close properly, and will frustrate those owners who hate seeing palm prints all over the shiny metal.
9. The cabin is quiet except when the HVAC is dialed up. Then it's not.
10. The all-glass roof is a must have.
11. The car kept waking up and shutting down as we walked around it. I would shut that off instantly.
12. Not sure why so many people are unhappy with the backup camera. It seemed fine to me.
That is all,
Robin

The software for the Model 3 isn't complete yet and updates are happening (Elon tweet maybe). In fact the manual just got updated again. Believe the plan is to have voice control added -- ie. so that could help with let's say "increase audio", turn on A/C, etc. One of the recent OTA updates was to improve the rear camera.

Here you go:

Tesla Model 3 software will be completed ‘soon’ and new voice command features are coming, says Elon Musk

Tesla improves Model 3 backup camera image quality through software update

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: N5329K
3. In architecture, the saying goes that the real design challenges are found where one material meets another. The same is true in the Model 3, where there are a few awkward joints in the cabin that leave what seems like structural adhesive visible.
Where did you see adhesive visible? I hadn't heard of this before.

Closing the frunk seems easy enough to me you can close it with your finger tips on the front edge, no need to put your whole palm on it.
I am so confused with the frunk closing and potential damage.

Here we have a recommendation to close with fingertips on the front edge. And on countless youtube videos we have people either using palms directly on the Tesla emblem, or to both sides immediately adjacent to the emblem.

The Tesla user manual clearly depicts the ENTIRE area from the top of the emblem to the front edge of the hood is off limits (as well as the area immediately above the emblem), or damage can result.

The recommend closing area is just above, and to the right and left of, the emblem. All the way out to the edges.

I'm going to go with Tesla's recommendation, until the next time I get my hands on a M3 and actually check out what's underneath that entire area. My money is on either thicker material or structural backing behind the area's they recommend.

I am so confused with the frunk closing and potential damage.

Here we have a recommendation to close with fingertips on the front edge. And on countless youtube videos we have people either using palms directly on the Tesla emblem, or to both sides immediately adjacent to the emblem.

The Tesla user manual clearly depicts the ENTIRE area from the top of the emblem to the front edge of the hood is off limits (as well as the area immediately above the emblem), or damage can result.

The recommend closing area is just above, and to the right and left of, the emblem. All the way out to the edges.

I'm going to go with Tesla's recommendation, until the next time I get my hands on a M3 and actually check out what's underneath that entire area. My money is on either thicker material or structural backing behind the area's they recommend.

Right you are, I guess I have been doing it wrong (I just looked it up). I have pushing on the leading edge for two years on my Model X with no issues. Frankly, I think if you are gentle, the leading edge is fine, but according to Tesla it is not. I just tested it over and over on my Model 3 and the front edge is super solid and pushing where Tesla suggests causes the hood to bow in slightly and requires way more force to close it. It seems like cars should not need instructions to close hoods :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 8.38.57 PM.png

Last edited:
Another opinion:

Drove one yesterday.

1. The S looks WAY better than the 3 in person. The S looks like a nice sexy car, the 3 looks small and not as attractive.
2. Driving, the 3 is quick and agile. Definitely can tell that it's smaller and more nimble than the S.
3. I personally do not care of the center screen. Takes a bit to get used to, but it'll work overall. I much rather have an instrument cluster.
4. The car looks very plain inside, very comparable to the S. Wish they had the option to take the wood grain down the center console.
4a. The interior simplicity and lack of luxury make it easy to swallow on a $30-50k car (barely). The S needs an immediate interior refresh to bring it up to par with other $100k sedans.
5. The trunk is heavy and hard to close compared to other vehicles. It's a little awkward. I could see it being a minor issue for elderly individuals or those who are not very tall.
6. The trunk can hold probably 1 large and 1 carry on luggage. A small carry-on will fit in the front (I think).
7. Leg room in the back is sufficient (I'm 6'2).
8. Car is quiet overall, about the same as the S.
9. Visibility and glass roof are great. Would recommend.
10. HVAC feel sufficient, it feels as the air is all around you, which is really nice. Gets very loud on high settings like other cars.
11. The steering wheel is very small. Wish it was larger.
12. Using the electronic button to open the door will take getting used to, but not a big deal. The manual release in a more "normal" position, so you'll have to get used to not using it.

Overall, I think the car will do great for most people. I'd prefer the S > X > 3 anyday of the week.

Right you are, I guess I have been doing it wrong (I just looked it up). I have pushing on the leading edge for two years on my Model X with no issues. Frankly, I think if you are gentle, the leading edge is fine, but according to Tesla it is not. I just tested it over and over on my Model 3 and the front edge is super solid and pushing where Tesla suggests causes the hood to bow in slightly and requires way more force to close it. It seems like cars should not need instructions to close hoods :rolleyes:

View attachment 278191
Thanks @EV-lutioin. Strange the manual I have shows red all the way to the front edge of the hood.

Thanks for your observations! Closing the frunk seems easy enough to me you can close it with your finger tips on the front edge, no need to put your whole palm on it.
I didn't try that, as the owner was specific about how I should close the frunk lid. It is a light piece of metal and I think it will be troublesome to owners and to Tesla as the cars age. Same with the manual door releases in the cabin. They will be used a lot, since the handle is clear and obvious but the button that is supposed to be touched to open the front doors is small and easily missed.
Robin

How do you have your hand on the the throttle (accelerator pedal) while driving?! o_O
(OK, I guess some cars are equipped with hand controls if the driver can't use their legs... but it seems you would have said that if it were the case.)
What TES-E said.
HOTAS comes down to being able to keep your eyes outside while controlling essential aircraft systems. Unless you're being shot at, this is even more important in a car, where there's way more stuff to hit. I can lose thirty feet of altitude by reaching down for a sandwich or to switch tanks and be OK. Move thirty feet out of your lane on a freeway and bad stuff happens quickly.
That's why I don't like a user interface that demands eyes inside attention for more than a moment. Many modern cars have entertainment systems that are nightmares for this. The Model 3 takes that to a new level, in my view.
Robin

I know on our MS we were instructed to use both palms lightly in a downward motion. Assume the spread fingers with palms does distribute the force and the weight of the hand. We've never had an problems closing our frunk, assume the Model 3 will be the same.

View attachment 278191

Yikes! How the heck does one know where the safe (green) area ends and the forbidden (red) area begins! Makes me wonder how I have been avoiding damage for the past 2-1/2 years with my Model S. I guess I need a "refresher course!" (The diagram is similar in the Model S manual.)

I know on our MS we were instructed to use both palms lightly in a downward motion. Assume the spread fingers with palms does distribute the force and the weight of the hand. We've never had an problems closing our frunk, assume the Model 3 will be the same.
You were lucky. My S can’t be closed by the method in the book. I’ve put my whole 195 lbs on those points with no joy. The delivery guy showed me to close it by putting one hand directly over thr latch and pressing down until the second latch also closes. Tesla really needs to do something about the latch problem.