Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First dual motor performance Model 3 rolls off the line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that a new general assembly line can be built in 3 weeks with minimal resources, yet Musk couldn't do the same last year to get Model 3 out of the door, in volume, on time. Funny how a low stock price and tons of bad press can give you a kick in the ass and make you do the otherwise impossible. None of this would have happened if certain people in the media didn't hold Tesla accountable for its missteps.
Gigafactory was the bottleneck, not General Assembly

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Did anybody else notice what can be seen in the reflection of the door? I am really wondering what this tent-like structure looks like, since I cannot immagine how we can see another building and blue sky. Can anyone explain that to me?

Did anybody else notice what can be seen in the reflection of the door? I am really wondering what this tent-like structure looks like, since I cannot immagine how we can see another building and blue sky. Can anyone explain that to me?

I just watched the greatest showman for the first time, and next day I see news about Tesla's tent, cracked me up. We don't need a building, just get me a tent.

picture from Electrek website

ffa810f162895d888339fdec42c222366c5c054863b040ed9b6768b30eb26540.png

Reactions: jbcarioca
The interior will look almost exactly like the current Model 3s. About the only difference you'll actually see with the P version is initially white interior (which this one has), bigger Brembo brake calipers (the red ones you see), and a rear small spoiler (which you can't see in this shot). The battery module will also look the same as the M3 long range but it might have something like beefier contactors and conductors (unsure).
What makes you think these brakes are different, other than that color? Seems like the same 4-por calipers as in the regular version, just painted red. I realize these are the bigger 20” rims, but the brakes don’t seem different.

What makes you think these brakes are different, other than that color? Seems like the same 4-por calipers as in the regular version, just painted red. I realize these are the bigger 20” rims, but the brakes don’t seem different.

They are most definitely larger brakes. These are the same rotors I saw on the test P3D I saw at the racetrack. They are much larger. Here's a comparison. And remember that the Performance Model 3 has 20 inch wheels, while the car used for comparison has 19s. Which means the difference is even larger than it appears. The P rotors also have "teeth" near the hub, just like I saw at the track. Definitely different and definitely much larger.
tm3brakes.jpg

They are most definitely larger brakes. These are the same rotors I saw on the test P3D I saw at the racetrack. They are much larger. Here's a comparison. And remember that the Performance Model 3 has 20 inch wheels, while the car used for comparison has 19s. Which means the difference is even larger than it appears. The P rotors also have "teeth" near the hub, just like I saw at the track. Definitely different and definitely much larger.View attachment 311345

Could be 2 piece rotors. I haven't seen any tesla from the factory leave with 2 piece rotors though

They are most definitely larger brakes. These are the same rotors I saw on the test P3D I saw at the racetrack. They are much larger. Here's a comparison. And remember that the Performance Model 3 has 20 inch wheels, while the car used for comparison has 19s. Which means the difference is even larger than it appears. The P rotors also have "teeth" near the hub, just like I saw at the track. Definitely different and definitely much larger.View attachment 311345
Seeing as you can still get the 18" Aero wheels as option, those wheels probably just barely fit. Hard to tell but looks like caliper is much larger as well. Maybe 6 piston? Assuming standard is 4 piston.

Dang, you are right. I didn’t even notice the teeth on that grainy image. Thanks for pointing it out! Now I have to rethink whether I should change my order to the P3D.

Wish I knew what else was different to justify the $23k difference. Maybe Elon wasn’t just hyping it up when he said track, he might have actually been talking about a proper track, with data to back it up.

Did you notice anything else when you saw it and took a peek underneath? Could you tell if they were 6-pot calipers? Did you see it take a lap or two around the track or you just caught it parked? Ahhh, you’d think they’d provide more details about it to entice people to get it compared to the regular AWD version.

One other thing I'd point out, which gives me a lot of hope about them being to back up Elon's metrics, is the tires. On this P-model, it definitely looks like a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (the latest and greatest street version of the Pilot Sport, which replaces the old Super Sport). I say this because I JUST replaced the super sports that came on my 911 with 4S'. A damned good tire for serious performance driving.

One other thing I'd point out, which gives me a lot of hope about them being to back up Elon's metrics, is the tires. On this P-model, it definitely looks like a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (the latest and greatest street version of the Pilot Sport, which replaces the old Super Sport). I say this because I JUST replaced the super sports that came on my 911 with 4S'. A damned good tire for serious performance driving.

They were already selling those wheels, with those tires, for months before the P was even announced.

Just wish they'd offer em as an option on the smaller wheels for all the configs- because otherwise I'm still gonna be putting them on day 1, I'll just be stuck with 4 useless crap all-seasons I don't want.

I believe these tires were also on the prototype I saw at Thunderhill Raceway.