Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First EV driven to 50 states to be scrapped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50 States in Model S

Hi all, that's me in the article. And my Tesla, for one more day anyway.

Sorry for not posting earlier about my accident. It happened August 27th. A person crossed the highway and hit me head on. My passenger and the other driver seemed to be ok (no broken bones, obvious bleeding). We were all wearing seat belts.

At the moment I'm home recovering from a ruptured spleen.

The insurance company made their offer yesterday. The shop says it'd be $22k to repair the car and they won't do that. Instead, they give me two options:
1. Accept $26,000 compensation. They'll keep the car and sell it for scrap
2. Accept $13,000 compensation and I get to keep the unrepaired car with a 'salvaged' title

Sadly, I feel I have to let them keep the car to sell for scrap.
I know nothing about fixing a car, but I was going to keep it and try to learn to fix it for sentimental reasons.

In the past, I've offered my car for the book value to: Tesla(a few times), the Smithsonian, a car collector, and the car museum in Reno. I'm just a trucker, I couldn't afford to give it away as a gift, although the Smithsonian and museum made it clear that they weren't interested even it is was free.
I often feel that I'm the only one who considers being the first to drive an EV to all 50 states to be an accomplishment.

The straw that broke the camel's back in my decision to give the car up is the fact that even if I repair it myself, Tesla will disable the supercharging and I won't even be able to safely visit my mom 200 miles away. (battery is at 230+, too close for comfort, especially when it's cold out)

I don't know how/where Teslas are sold at auction after being totaled, but maybe one of you will be able to find it and make good use out of it.

Because I had the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty, it has a battery that's only 3 years old, motor that's 4 years old, and media center (the center screen) that's 1 year old.

The total mileage is 240,000, but the above components have much less than that.

The damage is to the front end, the front suspension, and the front driver wheel/wheel well. The hood is undamaged (the other vehicle had a low front end, a PT cruiser) but the driver's door is stiff to open.

It was very well cared for, I'd just had it detailed top to bottom a week before the accident.

All the best,
Mike

tes1.jpg
tes.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
It is my understanding that you can get Tesla to allow supercharging after an inspection that costs money - maybe like $1000.
That being said, I wouldn't want to try and fix that....

Surprised you ruptured a spleen from that - glad you are otherwise ok.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fritts
It is my understanding that you can get Tesla to allow supercharging after an inspection that costs money - maybe like $1000.
That being said, I wouldn't want to try and fix that....

Surprised you ruptured a spleen from that - glad you are otherwise ok.

Thanks. I take a high dose of blood thinner due to my mech heart valve, so even a minor injury gets amplified with bleeding. Even so, my spleen only has a tiny tear. Very painful, but it'll heal itself and it won't be removed. To be clear, the injury is so small, it's not 100% certain that it was from the accident because it wasn't discovered until some time later

Well, I think that you and the car are awesome! And this statement-

the Smithsonian and museum made it clear that they weren't interested even it is was free.

kind of hit me in the feels because it seems that as far as we have come (electric car-wise), we still have a very long way to go....

Best of luck on your decision and more important, your recovery!

As someone with a very similar collision, sorry about your experience.

The photo isn't clear to me - any airbag deployment? Although I suppose whether there was or not, I agree that totaling out is the best option. I haven't checked for years, but the last time I (unknowingly) was shopping insurance on a VIN that was already a salvage title, only two companies returned a quote, and neither would offer comp/coll.

As someone with a very similar collision, sorry about your experience.

The photo isn't clear to me - any airbag deployment? Although I suppose whether there was or not, I agree that totaling out is the best option. I haven't checked for years, but the last time I (unknowingly) was shopping insurance on a VIN that was already a salvage title, only two companies returned a quote, and neither would offer comp/coll.

Excellent point

Glad you are okay. I guess I missed the driving to 50 states thing previously. So did you have the car shipped over to Hawaii and back again just to claim the 50 states title?
My co-driver/navigator, Lita, is a native of Hawaii. I spend time there once a year when I can. I shipped the car from the west coast for a long winter break (a couple months) and then back. $1100 each way, $2200 total. About $35/day to have my own vehicle instead of paying more for a rental. A good deal I think

Did you accept 26k already? I was thinking to but it out privately

I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I would've been glad to sell it privately.
On Monday I will receive the form and instructions for the transfer of title. I will post to announce when I send them the paperwork and how (snail mail or express).That should give an idea when it will be auctioned in Medford, NY by IAA. Also, I will inquire to know when it will be auctioned and share any information I gather.

I'm glad to know you are mostly fine. I hope for a soon and good recovery.

By looking at the damage, I would naively say that you could repair it yourself for under $5k, maybe $8k if there are many nasty surprises (by the quote of the insurance, it looks like there aren't), but you'd need to spend a lot of time on it. If you are not into this kind of stuff, then it was good that you accepted the offer of the insurance.

@David_Cary Supercharging is removed for salvage vehicles, even if you pass the inspection. In fact, they remove all kinds of DC charging now.

I'm glad to know you are mostly fine. I hope for a soon and good recovery.

By looking at the damage, I would naively say that you could repair it yourself for under $5k, maybe $8k if there are many nasty surprises (by the quote of the insurance, it looks like there aren't), but you'd need to spend a lot of time on it. If you are not into this kind of stuff, then it was good that you accepted the offer of the insurance.

@David_Cary Supercharging is removed for salvage vehicles, even if you pass the inspection. In fact, they remove all kinds of DC charging now.

Well considering this was Oct 2020, I am going to go out on a limb and say they have recovered.

Reactions: M0rpH3x