Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First EV Road Trip - MY 7 Seater - S. FL to NYC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery of our MYLR 7 seater on 6/12 and I immediately felt the need to take it out on the open road.
I had ordered a white on white MY in April with original delivery scheduled for 10/22-1/23 which has now been pushed to 12/22-3/23.
I managed to snag a black on black MY7 demo with 400 miles on it through existing inventory and had it shipped from California to Florida. After some delays in shipment I took possession of it about 3 weeks after ordering. I'm still keeping my original order.
First order of business was to tint the hell out of it, I had it for one day in the florida heat untinted and it was a total heatbox for me. After tinting all windows, the roof and the windshield, it was comfortable even in the hottest time of day.
I had received the car with the tires set at 45 psi, the ride at this pressure struck me as very stiff. I took the tires down to 38 psi and that made a big difference in the ride quality at the small expense of some efficiency. With the supercharger stops that I had planned, a single digit decrease in efficiency wouldn't matter at all.

At the time I ordered, I didn't think it would be possible to take a long road trip with it, my intention was to use it as my daily driver with the ability to transport my entire family, and my wife's Honda odyssey would be used for road trips.

I had some business to take care of New York and I figured what the hell, let's all jump into the Tesla and drive.
We packed than usual, only using a soft sided luggage and taking advantage of every spare cubic inch. We managed to pack enough for a 1 week trip for 6 people between the frunk and the trunk, keeping both 3rd row up and available for us. I was really surprised that this was doable but it was!

We sat 2 kids in the second row and 2 in the back, putting down the middle seat to allow for airflow to the back. I also mounted an ipad to the back of the passenger front seat, hooked up to its own speaker for the kids entertainment.

We set out from Boca Raton with the goal of making it to Lumberton, NC and spending the night there.
We drove 679 miles on day 1 at an average speed of 71.4 MPH. We averaged 318wh/m which struck me as a bit high for the speed we drove at.

We charged in Titusville FL, Brunswick GA, and Summerton SC, all 250kw chargers. We planned each stop for lunch, dinner and found that it didn't make a difference at all in our overall travel time. Summerton Supercharger was a bit sketchy, was dark and had no open services, we stopped at a Pilot travel center down the road for the bathroom.

Day 2, we traveled from Lumberton NC to NYC. We drove 597 miles at an average speed of 59.8mph and averaged 297 wh/m.

I charged early AM to 100% as we were getting ready to leave in Lumberton which was a slow 150kw charger but right next to the hotel. We also charged in Halifax NC where I managed to download and update to the latest software by tethering my phone and enabling 85MPH Autopilot 😁. In my experience, driving in the left lane at 80MPH led to us being cut off or having to change lanes but cruising at 83 made all the difference.

We charged at Springfield VA and Mt Laurel NJ as well, and arrived in NYC around 3am after 10 hrs of driving.

Overall thoughts as a first time Tesla owner.
The Model Y 7 seater is shockingly capable of being a family road trip vehicle. Autopilot is a total game changer for long road trips. Time spent supercharging does not add much, if any time when properly planned. The 3rd row needs air vents.

Reactions: nate704