Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First ever Model 3 software update looks stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The picture shows it all.
I don't see things mentioned in the manual (scheduling clock) and it looks like it should be upgrading
But it is not.
What do you think?

Attachments

• 20200421_150632ann.jpg
    20200421_150632ann.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 96
Go into Safety & Security and tap on Power Down. Sit still for 3 minutes, then tap on the brake pedal to reboot.

There might be a problem with your WiFi and rebooting might fix it. Otherwise try removing your WiFi connection in the car and re-entering the info. The car sees an update through the 4g network, but will not download it until you connect to WiFi. Since it looks like you are connected to WiFi, the steps above might reset it.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
This might be the map update which is quite large and won't come down over cell that easily.
Follow directions to reboot car as above
remove your wifi and add it again
also as a just in case reboot your wifi router

Only things I can add to the above excellent steps is you might not have a strong enough wifi signal. Looks like ‘1 bar’ of the 3 or 4 max on the Wifi possible. If all the above fail (where the car thinks it’s still only on LTE even though it is connected to wifi) try moving the mirrors (folding or unfolding, whichever they aren’t) as that may give the antenna a better angle at your router. Next step of course would be to move your wifi router/access point closer to the car.

Yeah, weak wi-fi signal can also prevent the download from starting. I attempted a download once when the car was in the driveway and had a low wi-fi signal and it did the same thing. Once I pulled into the garage and the wi-fi signal was stronger, the download started without issue.

Some months ago, we had a download stick, with the green bar partway across. No amount of reboots helped in our case. I finally scheduled a service visit with Tesla, picking a date to take it in. But (as I hoped) when they saw the nature of my complaint, they fixed it remotely. They were able to cancel the stuck update and force a fresh one to begin. Worked great.

Thanks one and all for helping out.
In the end I scheduled a service call for Seattle (thousands of miles away from Fairbanks) and pasted my situation into a comment field.
I was immediately texted by my new best friend that it was un-stuck and should work now.
Five hours later the download was at 100 % but it was stuck again.
This morning it was reporting the new software was present, and all ir right with the world.
What a relief.

I had seen the "power down" button but feared using it.
How do you folks exit your car?
I often feel that if I should be turning more things off.

Pictured is some rad parking to get required wifi signal strength.

Attachments

• 20200423_123052.jpg
    20200423_123052.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 48
I had seen the "power down" button but feared using it.
How do you folks exit your car?
I often feel that if I should be turning more things off.

You cannot leave the vehicle without it waking up. I think the reason for this is that it needs power to lower and raise the window as you exit.

The vehicle will power down after a period of non-use
- If Sentry Mode is deactivated
- If you do not open any doors
- If you do not use the app

This down period is referred to as "sleep"

The Power Down button in the car is intended to put it in sleep mode in order to reset certain functionality. But AFAIK cannot be used to keep it in sleep mode