Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Experience with M3P At Dragstrip

roger-write

Jan 29, 2017
Knoxville, TN
First of all, I have never done anything like this before. But I guess having watched a bunch of these races online and a sense of the need to exercise the M3P in a safe and fun way, I decided to give it a go at the local drag strip. Watching Teslas racing on YouTube you would think they are near invincible.

Well, no! There are some custom built hot rods which are insanely quick. And no, not even a Model S Ludicrous could beat some of them. But apples to apples (IE when paired with another "daily driver" type car, the M3P will almost certainly come out ahead). Everyone was super friendly and the people I talked to were pretty impressed with the performance, especially being unmodified. Though I didn't get paired with one, someone mentioned the times I was getting is comparable to some of the Corvettes that show up there.

Bottom line, I did three runs (this was a 1/8th mile track):

- First run was against a hot rod and I was a full second slower (that wasn't even nearly the fastest hot rod at the track)
- Second run was against another hot rod, which I managed to just beat by maybe half a car length
- Third run was against a charger - too bad he didn't get a good launch, but I still would have beat him soundly

My best time was 7.329 seconds. My reaction times weren't nearly as good as others since it was my first time. But I will say it was a lot of fun, for sure!

MichaelP90DL

Apr 19, 2019
Lancaster, CA
Racing against modified cars is a risky endeavor. Against almost any unmodified car, you ought to do well. Your car should get through a quarter mile in the low-to-mid 11s.

I'm taking Tessie Too to Willow Springs Raceway next month for drag night. Gotta buy a helmet. I haven't been in a timed drag race since around 1967. But I know what to do. And I have plenty of experience at...uhhh...unofficial races. :) Maybe I'll buy a tach and put it on the dash, just for grins.

holmgang

Sep 9, 2019
eu
The old rule of thumb was that your 1/8 times multiplied by 1.55 gave you your 1/4 time.

It was a very good approximation. I bet the regression of all actual measured data would've shown beautifully.

Anyway, because the EV power train is so much different and favors low speed performance, a more apt scalar would be 1.6+ or thereabouts. Giving you mid to high 11s, which is right where a Model 3 should be.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL

holmgang

Sep 9, 2019
eu
Bottom line, I did three runs (this was a 1/8th mile track):

- First run was against a hot rod and I was a full second slower (that wasn't even nearly the fastest hot rod at the track)
- Second run was against another hot rod, which I managed to just beat by maybe half a car length
- Third run was against a charger - too bad he didn't get a good launch, but I still would have beat him soundly

My best time was 7.329 seconds. My reaction times weren't nearly as good as others since it was my first time. But I will say it was a lot of fun, for sure!
also if it wasnt a competition, the reaction doesnt factor into your distance timing

Reactions: TyH2009

EVTracker

Jan 26, 2019
Birmingham, AL
The old rule of thumb was that your 1/8 times multiplied by 1.55 gave you your 1/4 time.

It was a very good approximation. I bet the regression of all actual measured data would've shown beautifully.

Anyway, because the EV power train is so much different and favors low speed performance, a more apt scalar would be 1.6+ or thereabouts. Giving you mid to high 11s, which is right where a Model 3 should be.
For my M3P. 11.41 / 7.29 = 1.565

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC