TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First Experience with Plugshare

Discussion in 'North America' started by ibcs, Aug 5, 2013.

1. ibcs

ibcs Member

On Sunday about 5 PM, I received a call from a fellow Tesla owner inquiring about using our HPWC. I said sure and Doug said he was traveling with his wife and two daughters. I was ecstatic with excitement at this was the first time someone ever called about using our charger. With anticipation, we waited for them to arrive and they came from Detroit, MI to Englewood, Ohio about 200+ miles. Doug arrived with 1 mile to spare on his Tesla 60 kWh Battery. They had found a public charger 60 miles North of us (30 Amp - 208 volts), but it would have required all night to charge and they wanted to get a little closer to home in Atlanta. After shaking hands and getting his car on charge, I offered to take them to a local restaurant to relax.

Of course, they asked if we had supper and welcomed us to join them. Doug and I are both are software developers, both enjoy Tesla beyond words and talked non-stop over dinner. Doug's wife was a little timid at first never meeting us before. My wife and Doug's compared notes on what it's like to be married to a software developer. I'm not sure that was great for either of us, but they both had a great time as well. My daughter and Doug's daughters just laughed at how nerdy their dad's were being talking Tesla and computers.

These meetings will not happen once the Superchargers are rolled out at least not to the same extent. If you enjoy meeting other Tesla owners I strongly encourage you to sign up for Plugshare and help out fellow travelers. They left with 200 miles of charge on their way to Lexington for the night before returning home in Atlanta.

It was a great experience! By the way, thanks for dinner Doug had a great time meeting you and your family.

2. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5

Nice, and I wish a nice trip to Doug and his family.

3. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

great to see folks "plugging" Plugshare, what a great resource! we just had a clipper Creek CS 100 installed outside for convenient charging of Tesla S and all other brand EV's! very excited to see this network grow!

4. Aphysician

Aphysician Member, Michigan Chapter

very nice, ibcs. Hope the plugshare network grows.

5. JackA

JackA Member

Charlene and I live north of Wenatchee and have a Tesla HPWC (80A) and an NEMA 14-50 outlet listed on Plugshare. We have had one Model S driver arrange a charge, we hope more will.

100thMonkey: where in the "Seattle Area" are you? Did not figure it out from searching on PlugShare.

6. Daniel Scherer

Daniel Scherer Junior Member

Do you have dual on-board chargers? At what kW rate will the CS-100 recharge a P85 with a single on-board charger?

7. galangg

galangg Member

That's a great story. :)

8. flashflood

flashflood Member

#8 flashflood, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    Oh, that's easy. We promise things that we never actually deliver, we're always late, we do tons of new things that you don't care about, and we never actually fix the obvious problems that really annoy you, no matter how many times you mention them.

9. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

A single on-board charger will max out at 40A (10 kW), no matter what it is plugged in.

Twin chargers give you double (80A, 20kW).

This does not apply to DC fast chargers like chademo (adapter required) or Tesla superchargers, which bypass the on-board chargers entirely.

10. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Plugshare is a really great resource. Two stories about funerals:

One of my best friends from grad school died unexpectedly and suddenly last year, so of course I was going to go to his funeral, held near DC. The Supercharger network was still tenuous -- as in, there were exactly two locations on I-95, at Milford CT and Newark DE, but I decided to drive anyway, figuring that it was only 105 miles from Newark to Arlington VA. What with all the driving around to friends' houses and fighting Beltway traffic, though, I wasn't happy about the state of charge. I looked on Plugshare and found that there was a Model S owner with an HPWC about half a mile from the church where the service was to be held. Great gentleman, not only provided charging but also ferried me over to the church. The four hours there added more than enough range to get back to Newark.

Just this week, I got a call from a Model S owner. He was coming up from the Philly area to East Boothbay, ME for his mother's memorial service. He had used a lot more charge than he had anticipated getting past Boston; could he charge here during the service? Of course! We started chatting about how long it would take to get from my place in South Bristol to East Boothbay, and I joked that it was 45 minutes by car but 10 minutes by boat. It turns out that his family has a small flotilla in East Boothbay, so one came over to my dock, picked him up, and then returned him after the service. Multi-modal travel!

Plugshare is great.

11. tga

tga Active Member

I forgot how long/deep those bays are between Brunswick and Rockland. A picture is worth 1000 words:

East-Boothbay2South-Bristol.jpg

30+ miles by car, 1/2 mile by boat :smile:

12. Pilot_51

Pilot_51 Member

Pretty accurate, though perhaps more from the perspective of the client than reality. We're usually smart enough not to make promises, but dumb enough to give low estimates to people who take them as promises and occasionally turn it into a deadline.

13. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

It was through PlugShare that i found the 2 Model S owners in our remote area and got to exchange emails
    and ideas that eventually took me 100 miles away to the showroom, cannot wait to order my S85D in Feb,
    we have real winters here.

14. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Terrible hijack:

Robert.Boston - I see how close you are to Wiscasset. An indelible part of my boyhood was passing through there on the way to my father's relatives further down east in Tenants Harbor - paying homage, always, to those great hulks, the so-called "Wiscasset Schooners" (the Hesper was one and I forget the name of the other).

How I cried 3-4 years ago when I took Jenny into Wiscasset to see the schooners.....and learned of their fate. Sometimes it's not good to have a sentimental streak.

/hijack

15. Notacarguy

Notacarguy Member

Hi

I had a 14-50 installed and am going to pick up my car today! I entered my plug on plugshare a few days ago but it still does not show up. Does anyone know if it takes some time to update?

16. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

My Plugshare entry showed up immediately. Have you refreshed your Browser cache?

17. Notacarguy

Notacarguy Member

I have checked on two different computers. Neither one shows my plug. When I log in it allows me the option to update my information but still nothing shows up. Very strange.

18. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

I would confirm that my filters showed home and NEMA 14-50. If you PM your address, I can look to see what I see.

19. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

This is one of the main reasons why, despite not having a Model-S yet, I have a HPWC installed at my home. In total I would guess more than 20 different Tesla have come by to charge up and many have been by on multiple occasions. Sadly once the Whitehall, PA supercharger goes online in a month or so the charger will probably sit idle until my car arrives, if ever. Still to me it was worth the expense and I am glad I was able to bridge the gap for so many cars.

20. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I would totally list my 14-50 on plugshare for experiences like these.... but since I'm 6 miles from one SC to the west, and another SC 8.5 miles to the east, I don't think anyone would ever need my 14-50. :(