Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First experiences with our Model S (Dadaleus' story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it was my understanding the charge port door was supposed to open automatically when you approach with the Cable?

With a Tesla cable.

How about using the key fob. Either have it open the charge port door when it get within 6" of the door.

Or push a button or two buttons at once holding for 2 seconds to pop it open.

Thanks for the report! Have you had to add any "Tesla time" to your trip yet--the added time answering questions from people who saw you with the car? Also, I notice the lack of plates--I thought Tesla was going to interact with the DMV and have the plates ready to go upon pickup?

A little. Lloyd dropped by this morning for a quick tour before we had to hit the road. Thanks Lloyd!

Thanks for the review. How do you feel about the performance wheels and the Sig Red in person? That's what I'm getting but initially wasn't sure if it fit well with all the chrome but think it looks good in the pictures you've posted. Excellent review, thanks.

I LOVE it. Personal taste I suppose, but I think the huge dark wheels against the dark red car makes a very dramatic look. Silver wheels seem too common to me.

Great review, thanks!

I'm not surprised about the volume control issue. I love Spinal Tap and very much appreciate the volume going to 11, but that definitely makes it more difficult to make the sound "just right" because there are only 11 total variances, assuming 11 is pretty loud.

Curious to hear about your thoughts on the interior -- it looks like you got the black performance interior. How does it look? And the CF? Thanks!

Love the interior too! The CF is less glossy than in the Roadster. I was trying to give the car a sportier interior (vs. the very luxurious feel it is designed to have). So I’d probably have chosen the glossier look, but that’s okay. The black leather with red piping really helps do the trick too.

Thanks for all the info, great read!

Regarding display of ideal + estimated range, did you already try the suggestion I posted in the range thread? The screen above the steering wheel should be customizable to "Range", instead of Nav or Song, and then display both ideal and estimated range. Though there might not be a way to change the bar in the center to always display both, independent of customization, which might be what you are looking for.

Yep, figured that out later today--you are RIGHT! I’m updating my original post. Totally gives me exactly what I wanted.

Maybe a future version of the adapter could have a bit of electronics, so that when it is connected to a J1772 charger, it will open the charge door automatically, when coming close.
Yes. You can open it from the Tesla cable, as vfx noted, similar to what you are saying. You have to press the button on the cable, and the car has to be unlocked. The Tesla cable has 110v and 240v ends for it (very elegant actually). But J1772 is a completely separate unit as you can see, and it has no button to unlock the hatch. Not sure why the J1772 lacks it. Maybe to save space.

Thanks for the report! Am I remembering right that you either owned, or had a friend that owned a Karma? If so, comparisons after a lengthy drive?

Also, perhaps they removed it in the final version, but some of the earlier betas had a manual on-screen. Is there not one buried in the options/settings?
Hmm… wasn’t me re the Karma I’m afraid. Never been near one actually. They are beautiful looking cars, but anything that explodes hydrocarbons is simply of no interest to me. Pure electric is such a more elegant means of propulsion and results in such a superior drive and use of space.

Can you give more details about your itinerary? I'm interested to see where and how long you charged and the total elapsed time of your trip.

I assume in Salinas you charged at the Rabobank and walked to a nearby restaurant for dinner?
Then you drove down to SLO and parked at the BBB/Staples and walked to the Embassy Suites that I see on the map?
What time did you depart Salinas, what time did you arrive in SLO, and how many kWh did you burn along the way (looked like it was 130 miles)?

Then Goleta (~100 miles) and then Tesla Newport Beach (~150 miles)? What time did you depart and what time did you arrive?

Thanks very much!

Absolutely. I had intended to take pictures of the display at the start and stop of every stop just in case someone was interested and for my own calculations, but being so excited I simply forgot. You have my route right, except that on the way from Goleta to Newport we stopped by a friend's for a couple hours. Overall here's my total energy and miles:
TripMeter.jpg

In Salinas we ate at the Applebee's next door (my first time--better than I was expecting actually). In Goleta we ate at Fresco's next door, which I'd done before on a Roadster trip. Then we went across the street to the very cool Zodo's bowling alley / bar / arcade. Very fun place and the kids loved it. It's one of these hip bowling places--totally different than the last time I bowled some 24 years ago!

Approximate times:
Depart Salinas 10pm, arrive SLO midnight
Depart SLO 9am, arrive Goleta 10:45 (slightly delayed by by trying to stop in Santa Maria as described in my first post--which I only attempted as insurance in case Goleta was in use).
Depart Goleta 2:30 on a full range charge
After that we actually had enough to get all the way home. We dropped by Newport anyway to say hi to one of our favorite Tesla employees. :)

BTW, the Salinas Rabobank is 208v but the Goleta one is 240v. As you can see below, it says that at 240v 40amp you get 29-30mi/hr of charging (photo says 29 but it actually said 30mi/hr right before I snapped this). I found these to be pretty accurate. So on 70amp you get 50+ mi/hr of charge.
Charging.jpg

Congratulations and be safe. ( I hope you aren't driving in those flip flops:smile:)

Ha. Wife’s flip flops. I drove barefoot of course! This is California! :)

Last edited:
Yes. You can open it from the Tesla cable, as vfx noted, similar to what you are saying. You have to press the button on the cable, and the car has to be unlocked. The Tesla cable has 110v and 240v ends for it (very elegant actually). But J1772 is a completely separate unit as you can see, and it has no button to unlock the hatch. Not sure why the J1772 lacks it. Maybe to save space.

I think you are right in the sense that it would probably require (a future version of) the adapter to have a button on itself.

During the test drive event and when watching videos I found myself annoyed by the loudness of the turn signal. Did they turn down the volume on it or is there a means to do so on the touch screen? I also wondered if they were going to try to make the turn signal noise volume change with ambient noise in the cabin.
Is that the case?

TIA and congrats!

BTW, the Salinas Rabobank is 208v but the Goleta one is 240v. As you can see below, it says that at 240v 40amp you get 29-30mi/hr of charging (photo says 29 but it actually said 30mi/hr right before I snapped this). I found these to be pretty accurate. So on 70amp you get 50+ mi/hr of charge.
View attachment 9550

Hmm... Both of the Rabbobank HPCs just had the Roadster connectors changed out with the J1772 connectors. They are still both at 70A units and not 40A. When I used the one at Goleta with the Tesla J1772 to Roadster adapter my Roadster still charged at 70A. Why is the S only showing 40A? Did you try upping the charge current to 70A?

View attachment 9550

I see that you are charging in Standard, rather than Range, mode. Thought going cross state you would need Range?

I see that you are charging in Standard, rather than Range, mode. Thought going cross state you would need Range?

There was this bit in there:

Depart SLO 9am, arrive Goleta 10:45 (slightly delayed by by trying to stop in Santa Maria as described in my first post--which I only attempted as insurance in case Goleta was in use).
Depart Goleta 2:30 on a full range charge
After that we actually had enough to get all the way home.

During the test drive event and when watching videos I found myself annoyed by the loudness of the turn signal. Did they turn down the volume on it or is there a means to do so on the touch screen? I also wondered if they were going to try to make the turn signal noise volume change with ambient noise in the cabin.
Is that the case?

TIA and congrats!

Hmm… they must have felt the same because it is super soft. I found myself trying to listen to hear the 3 clicks after tapping the signal.

Sorry for the confusion. This picture was from after I was home and plugged into the NEMA 14-50 in my garage. I had it set for range charges during the drive, although I never got it to a full charge except in Goleta. We left Salinas with 205 “rated” miles. The SLO unit was just 30amp and we got there so late (around midnight) that it only got up to 205 (same number by coincidence) rated miles by the time we left in the morning. This is why we were in Goleta so long. With a fully operational J1772 adapter the whole time in Salinas, we would have left there with a full charge and been able to get back to full in SLO. But all worked out just fine.

As a side note, the non-latching J1772 adapter still charged, but only at 16amps. I believe this is because with more amperage than that flowing and no latch, if you yanked it out quickly with electricity flowing it could be dangerous. Pretty well thought out actually.

Speaking for my wife and I, but I think I speak for just about everyone when I say "Thank you dadaleus for posting such great Sig review information about your experience". Based on your great input to TMC with your Sig I plan on finalizing my MVPA tonight or tomorrow.

The details that you have provided really made the difference and have proved enough to make both my wife and I feel comfortable moving our refundable deposit to non-refundable.

Speaking for my wife and I, but I think I speak for just about everyone when I say "Thank you dadaleus for posting such great Sig review information about your experience". Based on your great input to TMC with your Sig I plan on finalizing my MVPA tonight or tomorrow.

The details that you have provided really made the difference and have proved enough to make both my wife and I feel comfortable moving our refundable deposit to non-refundable.

Wonderful! I don't usually make such unhedged recommendations, especially with this much money involved, but I can confidently say you won't be sorry as long as you are game for the transition to charging rather than filling up a tank. (Which is actually much easier than stopping for gas except on long trips. And I'm hopeful that the Superchargers will solve the long trip issue.)

A few more observations as I digest having this thing: The car is very "finished" compared to what I was thinking I might have as such an early adopter. (I actually enjoy figuring out new tech. I've been a beta tester of more products than I can count. So I love being an early adopter even with the extra challenges. In this case, there are few to none.) What I keep coming back to is just how luxurious this car feels to me. I've never owned a BMW or Mercedes, so I may not have the same perspective as someone who traditionally owned such cars. But this car just feels so big and solid it's taking some getting used to.

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention on the down sides: Cupholders. They didn't change this so it's still just the two in the center. And the big surprise is how problematic even those two are. Our Starbucks paper cups wanted to pop up and out of them because they grasp so tightly. And they are so close together that two Starbucks cups actually push against each other at the top forcing them to lean out to the sides. And no where for the kids to put cups in the back at all--so no drinks were allowed on this trip except bottles of water. I'm really hoping for some solutions with opportunity consoles.

I keep thinking of things...

The cruse control and turn signal stalks are kinda close together on the left side of the steering wheel:
Sticks.jpg

Yesterday my wife and I accidentally clicked the cruse control down (or on) when intending to just signal a lane change a few times. I'm sure I'll just get used to it though. I wonder if that's how those are in Mercedes. Anyone know?

The fobs are so small and light, I was sure I'd lose it. (I kept losing it in my pockets actually! Don't want that going through the wash.) I wanted to put it on a key ring to avoid this, but I couldn't get a key ring through the little hole in it. My wife came up with an ingenious solution in about 2 minutes using the home jewelry stuff she and my daughter use:
fob.jpg

Anyone who wants to replicate this could swing by any of those make your own jewelry shops that are around everywhere. The clerk will surely do this for you in a second.

Okay, Tesla is arriving in a few minutes to take away the Roadster. :crying: Sniff sniff. :crying: I will really miss that car. Considered keeping both, but besides the impracticality of having two cars, I'm not convinced I'd use it much now that I've had the S for a day. Having the performance really helps because the S has every bit as much get up and go. The Roadster would be a fun weekend car, but my wife and I agreed we'd probably pick the S for date night anyway.

They got to live together for about 14 hours at least!
Both cars.jpg

Last edited:
They got to live together for about 14 hours at least!
View attachment 9559

First, many many Many thanks for all the great info about your experiences and the car!

I had to grin a bit, as we have pretty much the same Model S arriving in a few weeks, and are also turning in our Twilight Blue Roadster!
If I photoshopped your image by putting my garage in the background that would probably be the exact scene I hope to be looking at in 3 weeks:)

One question about the steering wheel controls. is it simply a dial on each side, or are there also a pair of buttons on each side? I couldn't tell if those were actual buttons or not. Also, is the dial also a button if you push straight down on it?

First, many many Many thanks for all the great info about your experiences and the car!

I had to grin a bit, as we have pretty much the same Model S arriving in a few weeks, and are also turning in our Twilight Blue Roadster!
If I photoshopped your image by putting my garage in the background that would probably be the exact scene I hope to be looking at in 3 weeks:)

One question about the steering wheel controls. is it simply a dial on each side, or are there also a pair of buttons on each side? I couldn't tell if those were actual buttons or not. Also, is the dial also a button if you push straight down on it?

Ha, wonderful about the same scenario. As a Roadster owner you must be getting it really soon.

On the face of the steering wheel there is a dial and two buttons on each side (so four buttons and two dials, not counting the stalks). The dials can also be pressed as buttons in order to reach various settings. And you can program their functions. For example, the one on the right defaulted to changing the audio source, but I changed it to control the display brightness.

Yesterday my wife and I accidentally clicked the cruse control down (or on) when intending to just signal a lane change a few times. I'm sure I'll just get used to it though. I wonder if that's how those are in Mercedes. Anyone know?

Yes, these were noted in the Get Amped test drives repeatedly (my own video showed me doing it 3 times :) ) and I was discussing it with another friend of mine who had complained of the same thing when test-driving a Mercedes a few weeks ago.