Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First flat tire - could be intentional

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I were going to drive to a park today and when we were just a couple miles from home I thought to look at my tire pressure on the screen and was surprised to see 3 tires at 43 psi and one rear tire at 34 psi. I parked and got out to check my pressure with my tire gauge and it confirmed the low tire. I felt for a nail/screw and discovered a roofing nail in the tire. I drove home and jacked up the car and removed the tire and when I pulled out the nail I discovered a 2 1/2" nail that I don't think it would be possible to get in the tire by driving over it on the road. I can't imagine a nail this long being able to flip upright as you drove over it like a short roofing nail. I suspect a Tesla hater might have sabotaged my tire by wedging the nail up against the tire so that when I backed up I would drive the nail into the tire. I only used Sentry mode one time last weekend when we left the car for a couple of hours at a restaurant. Since I've only had the car for two weeks I can recall all the places I parked. I was at Walmart once and an auto supply store twice. From now on I'll set the Sentry mode every every time I park somewhere.
IMG_20220327_134147135.jpg

It's certainly possible that somebody did that. But I've had nails much longer than that stuck in tires before under situations where I know it wasn't done on purpose. I had one a long time ago that was like about a 9 inch long nail that you use to hang up gutters!!! That did a number on the tire. I think what happens a lot of times is these things fall out of work trucks and then they are just laying there on the road. Other vehicles then hit them and send them flying. And bad luck, it just goes under your tire at the proper angle. You probably get hit with dozens that you don't even know about that don't land just right. So a nail in your tire doesn't necessarily mean it was just sitting idle on the road in the upright position. Anyway, that's my guess. Now if in the future if you have a Sentry video of somebody sabotaging you with a nail? Would I be surprised? Nope.

No seriously, I had a patient in emergency, a 10-year-old male, with a pea lodged in his ear canal. He and his mother were walking in a field when a combine passed by, about 50 feet away, and projected a pea, which landed in his ear canal. I told the patient/mother, if you dedicate the rest of your life to trying to replicate that event you will always fail. Had to be exactly the right size, velocity, angle, blah blah blah. Point is sh*t happens. Forrest Gump....

My wife and I were going to drive to a park today and when we were just a couple miles from home I thought to look at my tire pressure on the screen and was surprised to see 3 tires at 43 psi and one rear tire at 34 psi. I parked and got out to check my pressure with my tire gauge and it confirmed the low tire. I felt for a nail/screw and discovered a roofing nail in the tire. I drove home and jacked up the car and removed the tire and when I pulled out the nail I discovered a 2 1/2" nail that I don't think it would be possible to get in the tire by driving over it on the road. I can't imagine a nail this long being able to flip upright as you drove over it like a short roofing nail. I suspect a Tesla hater might have sabotaged my tire by wedging the nail up against the tire so that when I backed up I would drive the nail into the tire. I only used Sentry mode one time last weekend when we left the car for a couple of hours at a restaurant. Since I've only had the car for two weeks I can recall all the places I parked. I was at Walmart once and an auto supply store twice. From now on I'll set the Sentry mode every every time I park somewhere.View attachment 786665

Paranoia will Destroy ya...! I've had metal "chunks" the size of my thumb stuck in a tire...

I found a box cutter blade in the tread of my X once. Pretty sure I drove over it going by a construction site down the road. Slice through the thread into the tire. Went flat in less than 2 miles. Tesla towed the car 40 miles to the SC. I had to buy a new tire.