Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First FSD Beta accident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to see the log data.

One of the things I dislike about the FSD Beta is when you take over the steering it still keep the Adaptive Cruise Control over.

I think that's a bad design given the nature of what the FSD Beta is.

When I take over I want the car to cease doing anything itself, and I'm going to take over full control.
YES!!

Will this new thread get as much engagement as your other?

I’m confused about what you are trying to imply?

Reactions: impastu
... One of the things I dislike about the FSD Beta is when you take over the steering it still keep the Adaptive Cruise Control over.
I think that's a bad design given the nature of what the FSD Beta is.
When I take over I want the car to cease doing anything itself, and I'm going to take over full control.
Agree, I'm surprised when auto steer gives up, that you got sudden unexpected acceleration.

I could tap up on the stalk, but my hand isn't there.

I think Tesla implemented it that way because they didn't want the car to suddenly go into full re-gen. But, that isn't what I want either. I simply want the car to coast because its only milliseconds before I'm back on it.
Then you aren’t a very good beta tester. Hands should be at 3 and 9, which would be right next to the stalk.

You want the car to coast after adjusting the direction of the steering wheel in FSD?

You might be better off with Ford Blue Cruise

Reactions: WhiteWi
Don't model Y have in cabin camera? Release the footage lol I can't wait to see this Model Y FSD Christine edition
The interior camera doesn't record or send any info back to Tesla unless the driver enabled Data Sharing. And then it is probably untagged or just data and not video recordings.

IMG_9384.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
I'd bet not many people realize how heavily the NHTSA relies on self-reporting, reports from vehicle owners are a huge initiator of their investigations. And of course it's not the final step, it's just the start of their data collection and analysis etc

Reactions: EVNow and impastu
The Verge picked it up too. "NHTSA is also seeking more info about the growing public beta test of FSD, the recently launched “Safety Score” evaluation process for entering the program, and the nondisclosure agreements Tesla was making participants sign up until recently. A spokesperson for Tesla did not respond to a request for comment — nor is it likely they will after disbanding their press department in 2019."

complete BS - if this guy is saying FSD prevented him from taking over he is using a terminological inexactitude to cover for the fact that he wasn't really paying attention.
Yea, at first he was saying beta steered into an adjacent lane and he didn’t have time to react. Which is 100 percent possible even if you are paying attention. But if he is saying the car overrides his inputs that is highly impossible.

This jack’s mole couldn’t react because he wasn’t paying attention and blaming the FSD, potentially setting us all back so he could save face.
If the issue is in paying attention, we can already assume the regulators would be asking whether the current systems are sufficient in ensuring drivers are paying the required attention when using this software and that risk to the public is being mitigated

Drivers using FSD Beta know what risk they're taking on, occupants of other vehicles around drivers using FSD Beta are who the NHTSA would be looking to protect

Reactions: Ron_M3 and impastu
I have had to take over control from FSD Beta, only to have the Lane Departure take control, forcing me to wrest control from the car once again. Dropping out of FSD Beta takes a very light touch, but overriding the Lane Departure control takes more force. Since TACC stays active, and if it is set to a relatively high speed, I could see how the car could unexpectedly accelerate and exert steering control at the worst possible time.

I have had to take over control from FSD Beta, only to have the Lane Departure take control, forcing me to wrest control from the car once again. Dropping out of FSD Beta takes a very light touch, but overriding the Lane Departure control takes more force. Since TACC stays active, and if it is set to a relatively high speed, I could see how the car could unexpectedly accelerate and exert steering control at the worst possible time.
This has happened to me - but slightly differently.

FSD Beta makes a bad move - I take control by correcting the direction, then the car gives lane departure warning. May be its the setting - but it doesn't try to force any change in direction, just warns.

This has happened to me - but slightly differently.

FSD Beta makes a bad move - I take control by correcting the direction, then the car gives lane departure warning. May be its the setting - but it doesn't try to force any change in direction, just warns.
There is a setting for it. You can have it just warn you or proactively steer you back into the lane.

highly impossible
I lol'd at this. as if 'impossible' needed an adverb :D

It's funny given how much Tesla logs data that people still think they can lie to mask what actually happened. Such a vindictive person to run straight to the NHTSA for their own incompetence. (I do think FSD beta did do something stupid in this scenario, but nothing out of the ordinary for any of us).

I can see where someone might believe FSD was at fault. Twice when I have needed to immediately take control in an intersection the force required to turn the wheel was much much harder. To the point I almost failed. Definitely scared me but I never thought FSD was trying to retake control just that the force to turn the wheel was extremely hard. Both times using 10.4