Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First gas station in America to ditch oil for 100% electric vehicle charging opens in Maryland

kendallpb

Model S: P 8061
Oct 29, 2010
MD, USA
The station will feature four dispensers that connect to a high-powered, 200kW system. The system will allow four vehicles to charge simultaneously and reach 80% battery charge in 20 to 30 minutes. Drivers can go inside and sit in an automated convenience store with screens that allow drivers to track their vehicle’s charging progress.

Interesting. :) I love seeing this happening - and in my area (sorta), too. Not that I'd need it (wrong direction for me, plus we have a HPWC) and anyway, it's a DC fast charger . . . but that's not the point. :cool: I hope (a) rates are reasonable and (b) enough people patronize his business so it's sustainable. Oh and (c) that he (or future people updating their gas stations) considers getting a high-powered, uh, whatcha call it, the adapter that comes with all Teslas and is used by a lot of other EVs. (How am I spacing on the adapter that came with my car?!)

I love CNET's subtitle on their article: "How was this not a thing already?"

Craig_in_PA

Jul 21, 2019
PA
Tesla pilgrimage points:

1) Kettleman City supercharger.
2) Freemont factory.
3) RS Automotives in Takoma Park, MD.
4) Lusk, WY supercharger (reputed to be the least used, and plausibly so).

loganss

Spaceman
Mar 6, 2011
Maryland
Just dropped by and took some quick pics since I didn't see many in the articles.
IMG_20190929_164214410_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190929_164028685_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190929_164254039.jpg

It's a small gas station and it has chademo , sae, and j1772 plugs.
The level 2 chargers are in an inconvenient location that could block entry/exit depending on how someone parks.

I definitely appreciate their efforts.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd

Craig_in_PA

Jul 21, 2019
PA
As great as Supercharging is, Tesla will eventually need to open up level 3 charging to be offered by third parties. Destination charging won't cut it.

kendallpb

Model S: P 8061
Oct 29, 2010
MD, USA
Just dropped by and took some quick pics since I didn't see many in the articles.
. . .
The level 2 chargers are in an inconvenient location that could block entry/exit depending on how someone parks.

Thanks, @loganss! I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm very happy to hear it has J1772 plugs, not just CHADEMO. Yay! That's the one I can use with the standard Tesla-provided adapter that comes with the car, IIRC. Sorry their layout is funky, though.

loganss

Spaceman
Mar 6, 2011
Maryland
Good news. A member on plugshare indicated that the owner ordered a couple of Tesla chademo adapters.
Screenshot_20191001-025030.png
The ev stations are always available but its important to be mindful of the rs automotive store hours. The store's not open on the weekend.

Reactions: realvvk and mociaf9

Mirlen

Mar 19, 2017
Allison Park, PA
View attachment 460715
View attachment 460719
View attachment 460720

Wow, I see they have Chademo adapters coming for loaners, that's an awesome idea! Good job guys!

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
The new Supercharger station in Tahoe City, California is built on the site of a former gas station (Rod's 76). This was closed several years ago and paved over into a parking lot. It's now a Tesla Supercharger site. Six Superchargers plus one J1772.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC