TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First gas station in America to ditch oil for 100% electric vehicle charging opens in Maryland

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Skipdd, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Skipdd

Skipdd Supporting Member

2. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Interesting. :) I love seeing this happening - and in my area (sorta), too. Not that I'd need it (wrong direction for me, plus we have a HPWC) and anyway, it's a DC fast charger . . . but that's not the point. :cool: I hope (a) rates are reasonable and (b) enough people patronize his business so it's sustainable. Oh and (c) that he (or future people updating their gas stations) considers getting a high-powered, uh, whatcha call it, the adapter that comes with all Teslas and is used by a lot of other EVs. (How am I spacing on the adapter that came with my car?!)

I love CNET's subtitle on their article: "How was this not a thing already?"

3. loganss

loganss Spaceman

This is great! I'm going to visit and buy something from the convenience store from time to time just to show support.

4. kendallpb

Oh, good idea. I do want to go check it out, so while I'm there, I'll do that. :)

5. Craig_in_PA

Craig_in_PA Member

Tesla pilgrimage points:

1) Kettleman City supercharger.
    2) Freemont factory.
    3) RS Automotives in Takoma Park, MD.
    4) Lusk, WY supercharger (reputed to be the least used, and plausibly so).

6. loganss

loganss Spaceman

Just dropped by and took some quick pics since I didn't see many in the articles.
    IMG_20190929_164214410_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190929_164028685_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190929_164254039.jpg

It's a small gas station and it has chademo , sae, and j1772 plugs.
    The level 2 chargers are in an inconvenient location that could block entry/exit depending on how someone parks.

I definitely appreciate their efforts.

• Informative x 1
  7. Craig_in_PA

Craig_in_PA Member

As great as Supercharging is, Tesla will eventually need to open up level 3 charging to be offered by third parties. Destination charging won't cut it.

8. kendallpb

Thanks, @loganss! I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm very happy to hear it has J1772 plugs, not just CHADEMO. Yay! That's the one I can use with the standard Tesla-provided adapter that comes with the car, IIRC. Sorry their layout is funky, though.

9. realvvk

realvvk Member

If you look at google street view, that place does not have gas pumps at the time google street view photos were taken.

10. loganss

loganss Spaceman

Good news. A member on plugshare indicated that the owner ordered a couple of Tesla chademo adapters.
    Screenshot_20191001-025030.png
    The ev stations are always available but its important to be mindful of the rs automotive store hours. The store's not open on the weekend.

• Like x 2
  11. kendallpb

@loganss: Groovy about the adapters. I like how the owners think.

• Like x 1
  12. realvvk

realvvk Member

I have been thinking I could make a day trip out of it. Now it sounds even better.

13. Mirlen

Mirlen Member

Wow, I see they have Chademo adapters coming for loaners, that's an awesome idea! Good job guys!

14. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

The new Supercharger station in Tahoe City, California is built on the site of a former gas station (Rod's 76). This was closed several years ago and paved over into a parking lot. It's now a Tesla Supercharger site. Six Superchargers plus one J1772.

• Informative x 1