Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First gen air suspension sagging overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is a repeat question -- the forum search didn't turn anything specific up...

I've got a 90D with air suspension. That air suspension is doing what air suspensions do, leaking...

I bought the car used in 2019 and it had less than 50k miles when I got it, so still have almost 2 years of the "Bumper to Bumper" warranty.

Does this warranty cover replacing the shocks or are they considered "wear items" ?

Hopefully tesla doesn't try to solve the problem by throwing parts at it, and just fixes the part that's leaking, but who knows.

I believe the original warranty would cover this unless there were extreme operating conditions, towing a tank, etc. Normal shocks would be considered wear items, and would be listed as an exclusion. Not sure if the extended warranty would cover this, though. I think you should be OK.

Sorry if this is a repeat question -- the forum search didn't turn anything specific up...

I've got a 90D with air suspension. That air suspension is doing what air suspensions do, leaking...

I bought the car used in 2019 and it had less than 50k miles when I got it, so still have almost 2 years of the "Bumper to Bumper" warranty.

Does this warranty cover replacing the shocks or are they considered "wear items" ?

Hopefully tesla doesn't try to solve the problem by throwing parts at it, and just fixes the part that's leaking, but who knows.
I had all issues with air suspension in my P85D covered under warranty.

That was a different time for Tesla though. Today they are trying to cover as little as possible under the warranty.

Your standard warranty covers this, however more often than not, the leaks are in the lines and connections to the struts, not in the struts themselves.

At any rate, you can take it to the SC for this under warranty, and they'll basically spray soapy water on the lines until they find the spot that makes bubbles.

For what it's worth, the Tesla air suspension system is fantastically simple. It's basically a tank, a compressor, and an air bag on each corner, with lines connecting each. If your car leaks again out of warranty, it's usually very simple to fix.