Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First-Gen RAV4 EV (1996-2003)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He says 33kWh for the new Li-Ion conversion, and the old OEM Rav4EV NiMH was only 25kWh.

The specs (100 mile range ) seem similar, so was the older drive-train more efficient?

Since the old Rav4EV is long since off the market it is nice to have a replacement option for that type of vehicle.

TEG,
Was the old Rav4EV able to attain 100 mile range at 65 mph?
That would only be 250 Wh/mi. That is extremely efficient at 65 mph.

Toyota RAV4 EV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...a governed top speed of 78 mph...
...a range of 100 to 120 miles...
Rav4EV Data
...Driving range...125 miles
My range record (and I don't try for max range very often!) per charge was accomplished 08.21.05. I drove 133 miles on 100% SOC. Two people in the car, plus the portable charger in back. Twisty, hilly drive with many stops at the beginning and end. Heavy AC use for one full leg of the two-way trip. Final score: 191 Wh/mile consumed = 5.2 miles per KWh = range of 133 miles = 25.9kWh pack. (To calculate pack capacity: multiply kWh consumed by 100, and divide that by percentage of SOC consumed.
Average Consumption from pack: 250 Wh/mile

So, the above didn't exactly answer your question, Don. EVnut says 191 Wh/mile on his longest trip, but also says 250 Wh/mile average, so constant 65mph is likely somewhat less. Still I think the "over 100 mile range" is rather impressive given that the vehicle seats 4 and isn't particularly aero optimized.

My RangerEV has a similar NiMH pack but only does about 60 mile range due to less efficiency.

Did you notice that the factory RAV4 EV from Toyota doesn't have a tire hanging on the back? Also no roof rack.
Our testing shows that is worth 8% more range due to less drag.

Our 1996 RAV4 conversion and the 2009 RAV4 that we are working on, both have the tire on the back still and roof rack.
They look stupid without the tire because the rear was shaped to have the tire there. It looks naked without the roof rack.

There is more to it than merely the number of batteries inside.

Home Page

2009 RAV4 EV - a set on Flickr

Factory RAV4 EV
19.jpg

Ours that we have converted

3475183934_36d0f7813e_d.jpg

Last edited:
In fact, we currently have a 1996 RAV4 EV conversion that can do 90 mph top speed and can drive 100 miles in range at 65 mph.

The battery pack that I am building for a 2009 RAV4 EV conversion is 33 kwh.
105 cells X 100 Ah each.
These are Sky Energy SE cells, which are actually better than Thundersky, but it is a newer company.

Actually as I re-read James' quote it seems he says they have a 1996 RAV4EV conversion that does 100 mile range @ 65 mph... *and* they are building a 2009 RAV4 EV conversion with 33 kwh... So, James, what pack capacity does the 1996 conversion have?

By the way, I noticed a RAV4EV Li-Ion retrofit project here:
Rav4ev

Also, James, do you do something with your battery box to physically constrain the cells. I think under different charge/discharge conditions the cells can try to change size/shape and if you don't put something rigid around them they can crack/rupture over time.

Actually as I re-read James' quote it seems he says they have a 1996 RAV4EV conversion that does 100 mile range @ 65 mph... *and* they are building a 2009 RAV4 EV conversion with 33 kwh... So, James, what pack capacity does the 1996 conversion have?

By the way, I noticed a RAV4EV Li-Ion retrofit project here:
Rav4ev

I forget the kwh size of the 1996 RAV4. My technician did that before I started working with him. That 1996 RAV4 is what got him credibility with me.

The 2009 RAV4 will likely have a 120+ mile range because we are doing an AC motor with regen.

The 1996 RAV4 conversion was a DC motor with no regen.

Also, James, do you do something with your battery box to physically constrain the cells. I think under different charge/discharge conditions the cells can try to change size/shape and if you don't put something rigid around them they can crack/rupture over time.

Yes. There are battery boxes to contain the LiFePO4 cells. I don't have all of the details, but they are contained.

I can probably answer most questions about the factory Rav4EVs if anybody has more.

No, the cars will not go 100 miles at 65 mph. They are governed at 80 mph (79, in theory) and EPA range estimate is 120 miles.... but that 120 miles is NOT all on the freeway, of course. The bit quoted above from my site is accurate.

As a data point, I've got 60k miles now, and 6.5 years... and I can still do 100 miles of range.

I am the owner of the only RAV4 EV in the UK

Hi, yes there is now one Toyota RAV4 EV Electric Vehicle in the UK (I checked with the companies that deal with DVLA data to confirm that we have the only one)(The closest the RAV4 EVs got to the UK mainland previously were the trials on the Gersey in 1999). It is a Right Hand Drive, Silver, 1999 model with a Conductive Charge Port (on the off side front wing) and a Fast Charge Port (on the near side front wing) The car has covered just over 46,000 mile from new and looks and drives like brand new. So far we have recorded a range of 80 miles on 'A' roads including driving over the Clee Hills and had a remaining SOC of 15%.
It looks like a 'normal car', but is whisper quiet and great fun, my wife hardly lets me drive it she is out and about all the time. :rolleyes:
regards
Rich

Apparently we now have a RHD here in the UK - discussed on yesterday's EVcast.

It seems like one of our regulars was instrumental in getting it here.

Hopefully we will get to hear about how it gets on.

Hi, thank you for the warm welcome.
Yes the car was imported from Japan to the UK by the seller in Japan for me. (apparently there are only 60 RHD RAV4 EV worldwide), with shipping, customs, taxes and a nice number plate 'ELE 3C' etc its cost almost £30,000.
regards
Rich

Not a bad price considering the rarity. When the price of oil was spiking a few people in America paid a good bit more than that.

Congratulations!