Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First-Gen RAV4 EV (1996-2003)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow; that's really tidy! I've only ever seen white ones; the silver really looks good.

How close to UK regs is it? Dual circuit brakes? I imported a Cappucino that had single circuit brakes, mind you, it only weighted 700Kg so you could put your foot out if they failed.

And how much fun did you have with the insurance?

Hi
I understand that they only did the RAV4 EV 5 doors in White or Silver, apparently Tom Hanks had one repainted in a dark blue or dark green, everything except the firewall/bulkhead because the electric motor would have had to be removed to paint that!
It appears to be very close to UK spec RAV4.1, i.e. the 1998 to 2000 model, the 5 door RAV4 EVs were made from 1998 to 2003 using that shape.
It has dual circuit ABS, Air Con etc the only additions required for UK MOT were a rear fog light, wiring & switch.
The only omissions I can find from the UK RAV4 top of the range VX spec (I have an Automatic Petrol RAV4 VX 1998) are No Sunroof, the Door Mirrors are not heated, there is no rear power accessory plug in the boot (no room for it in the standard position), and the steering column does not adjust the 1" up or down.
However it does have a unique electric heated Front Windscreen using a sandwiched metal film with an automatic timer, there are no wires visible as there are on Ford cars with heated windscreens (Amazingly this does not stop the signal for my portable Sat Nav).
It also has Low/High heated front seats backrest & squab with automatic temperature control.
As I say it does have A/C, and a heat pump heating system and integrated automatic control of the A/C when demisting and automatic control of the fan speed even though it is not climate control.

You can set the car to charge on its own timer and it will pre warm or chill the car if you set it to. It has a standard Yazaki charging port, but unique to the Japanese versions it has a fast Charge DC voltage port but not a lot is known about this and I don't have a connector for it.

regards
Rich

Wow; that's really tidy! I've only ever seen white ones; the silver really looks good.

How close to UK regs is it? Dual circuit brakes? I imported a Cappucino that had single circuit brakes, mind you, it only weighted 700Kg so you could put your foot out if they failed.

And how much fun did you have with the insurance?

Helpful Insurance Companies & Intermediaries

Having contacted many many companies both by phone and on the internet I found the following to be helpful & competitive:

Intermediary: Call Connections 0800 093 4947
Broker: Adrian Flux 08000 83 88 33
Broker: Academy Insurance 0800 107 4277
Lexham Insurance 0845 600 1664

Most of the above are good for Electric Vehicles and or Imported vehicles.
I hope the information makes someones life a little easier than mine was :)

Which company did you use Rich? It will be interesting to compile a list of UK EV-friendly ones.

Looks like our UK friend up thread didn't want to hold on to his car long.

TOYOTA RAV4 EV Battery Electric Vehicle NOT HYBRID - eBay UK

Wonder why?

apparently the first Public Charger has just been installed in the USA ...
A full charge takes around 5 hours. However this ultra rare version also has a Fast Charge DC port which I have been told could charge the vehicle by 80% in 20 minutes, but I do not have this type of charger in fact they have only just installed such a public charger in the US! ...

Is he REALLY talking about the (Vacaville) LEAF/iMiEV station ?

Why RAV4 EV in the UK is available & Vacaville Charger

Yes my Japanese Spec RHD RAV4 EV with the Fast charger port and will connect to the american Vacaville Charger (see EVnut.com) for photos of the charger and port.
The RAV4 EV is the most reliable and highly tested Electric Vehicle in the World. My car is only being offered for sale to help a relative buy a more suitable house, if other options come to fruition I will be able to keep it.
As a 5 seater Estate car it is one of the most practical Electric Vehicles in the world and definately the most reliable, my car is 11 years old with 48k and looks like a 1 year old car, no manufacturer in the world can beat the quality of these Mk1 RAV4s and this will be on the road years after any young pretenders have dissapeared trust me.

Why RAV4 EV in the UK is for sale

My RAV4 EV is only for sale as one of my options to help a relative purchase a more suitable property. The car is perfect and good for another 11 years as per Toyota quality and over engineering ans as befits a car that cost Toyota $200,000 to make each car.

From MNL:
My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - A Sad Day
smartshot said:
My company is returning all the old EV Rav 4's back to toyota to be scraped. We have the largest fleet of these toyota's today. They are upgrading to the leaf, volt
2.jpg

photo.jpg