TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

First-Gen RAV4 EV (1996-2003)

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by graham, May 7, 2009.

1. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

Everybody is "tempted" but so far it has proven to be an insurmountable task. Just about EVERYTHING in the car would need to be changed as the BMS is integrated into so much of the vehicle. Impossible to just do a chemistry swap.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Hey DD/EVnut: didn't your old Lead/Acid RangerEV get converted to Li-Ion?

3. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

Another 10 yr old Rav4 EV with 90k on the clock and the original batteries still going strong :-

Rav4EVebaynov2011142kkms.jpg

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Sorry. This thread is about the previous RAV4 EV. The new RAV4 EV (with Tesla parts) is here: The New RAV4 EV

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#46 TEG, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

7. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

Just for fun, let me drag this 2009 thread up again. I do so because my Rav4EV is back on the road with a new Li-po pack! And to celebrate, I spent two days detailing the thing inside and out. Even the glass is polished now! This is probably the last time it'll look this good. Not bad for a 15-year-old daily driver, eh?

2017 Rav4EV - Darell Dickey (darelldd)

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  8. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

Six years later, let me reply.... nope. My Ranger was built with lead, I bought it with lead, and I sold it with lead. But my Rav... is now Li. And wow, what a job it was to convert.

• Like x 1
  9. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Told you :D

10. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

Ha.

Yeah... but...

Everything you say is true. It is lighter. It doesn't have heat issues, it has much higher charge efficiency. It has basically zero self discharge (what a treat!). My car is about 480 pounds lighter than stock now. And the pack is a bit higher voltage - so all told, the car is noticeably quicker than stock (and stock was already quicker than the gas version!). All that's good. But... the car is no longer turn-key. It is 100% a hobby car now. I can't just toss the keys to my wife and let her drive it on a whim. It takes constant monitoring, and all it takes is one loose wire somewhere in the thousands of new connections we've made... and the car is dead in the water. So it isn't as if I've simply switched to a better battery chemistry. I have TWO competing BMS's in the car now. And if the OEM unit boots before the Orion, I'm screwed and have to start over. It's fun, but it isn't for the feint of heart. And I should mention that even though the pack is rated at higher capacity than the NiMH pack, AND the car is lighter, the range is significantly less. I drove my original almost 135 miles one day. I'll be luck to touch 80 miles with this pack. And before you go thinking that this conversion could have been done more elegantly so it WOULD be turn-key... I'll just say this: As far as I'm aware, my conversion is the most advanced that's ever been done. I don't know of any other classic Rav4EV with a 105 Ah Li-po pack, nor one that natively charges on J1772 (might exist! I just don't know of it).

Oh... and... Battery MD has just stopped offering the NiMH swap service. There is currently no way to get a "refurbished" NiMH pack.

11. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

Now. Where's my Tiny Little SUV Tesla? I'm worried that the Model Y will be too big... much like the Model 3. Give me a 300-mile Gen 1 Rav4EV, and I'm your guy.

12. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Considering the size of the M3 upon which the MY will be based you can expect the Y to be closer to the Gen 4 RAV in size.

13. miimura

miimura Active Member

So the white tape line on the factory battery gauge is the new "E"?
    Did you write up the LiPo conversion anywhere? I'm curious about the pack characteristics and how you chose what cell to use.

14. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

The white tape (gone since I have real instrumentation now!) is 80% SOC. Above this, I cannot use the brakes while in Drive due to the potential to dump 150A into a "full" battery. Big problem. I have to slip into N before using the brakes. One of many reasons why nobody but me gets to drive this car.

The SOC gage has been fooled into operating quite well, by hooking it up to just enough modules in series to have it think the NiMH pack is there. So it doesn't read the whole pack, but just enough cells.

No, I have not written anything up. So many projects! They are Enerdell cells. 88 in series for 105 Ah. Elcon 5 kW charger under the hood, and Orion BMS in the pack.