Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Home Charge in New House!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, got my car as part of the 3rd quarter push, so I was living in a condo until closing on a house a couple weeks ago. Got moved in and HAPPENED to have friends visiting the desert and borrowing one of our other cars. I was going to wait until vacation was over to get electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 plug in garage BUT...one of said visitors is an electrician working through year 2 of his apprenticeship so he offered to do it for free if I bought supplies. He'd been itching to do an EV service install, as it's something none of his peers had done yet.

He walked me through the wire and breaker gauge recommendations, and even cleaned up a few issues that had cropped up on the panel. Left for vacation with scheduled charged. Using my mobile charger in lieu of HPWC, but still pushing 27 mi/hr at 40A and around 236-237 volts.

Just happy to now be able to wake up to a fully charged car...so I can actually ENJOY Ludicrous mode regularly!
IMG_20161224_165245.jpg

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like your 14-50 socket is one of the ones with the plastic housing. I don't recommend those because if it starts to overheat, the plastic just melts away. I prefer these metal boxes. The conduit is not necessary. You can have the cable enter the back just like your existing outlet. This picture also shows the correct pin orientation for the UMC.

NEMA 14-50 Surface.jpg