Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Hypermiling experience...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I needed to bring my S60 into Lawrence for a new charge port, it wouldn't supercharge at all, and home charge at only 16 amps.

Trip was 255km, weather 2-3°C, wet roads, steady drizzle, not sure of wind or wind direction. I don't have tech pkg, so no nav or trip planning software, just my Garmin and trip meter. I charged to 100%, did a couple pre heating cycles, and set off. I still had my winters on, Dunlop winter Maxx, on 19 inch Rial Lugano rims. I turned range mode on, and turned off the HVAC before I left.

As soon as I got on the 401 I found a semi with no trailer, but it was just as tall and wide as a trailer, so I settled in about 25 feet behind him. This actually worked out really well, as he was cruising at 105km/hr and without the trailer, his speed never varied at all, even uphill. I figured I would need to stay under 200wh/km to make it, and at the halfway point I was amazed I was running at 169. I then splurged and turned on the HVAC to 20C, and also setting a new trip meter to see how much difference it made. After 10km, I saw no noticeable difference, and ran the HVAC the rest of the trip. With 40km to go I said farewell to my travelling companion, cranked it up to my usual 122km/hr, and still made it with 40km range to spare.

I lucked out and got a P85D loaner with AP1, and it was a treat to try AP for an extended drive. Even in the rain, it worked very well, although a few times when passing trucks, it got uncomfortably close to the truck when the pass was almost complete. In traffic and bad weather I found it less stressful to just use the TACC, which worked flawlessly. I was only really comfortable with autosteer in better conditions.

Yeah once you have everything nice and toasty, cabin heating doesn't seem to draw that much power. The Roadster is terrible in this respect; considering the much larger cabin it's interesting the Model S is so much better.

Reactions: Jaff
I always overlooked air suspension as an unnecessary option, but driving with and without it on the 401 back to back, it really takes away minor bumps and gives a much more comfortable ride. The steering on the P85D was much tighter than my car as well. Next gen seats are super comfy too.