Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Impression: Not Happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can it really be that bad if it won't show up in pictures
From personal experience I can say that it can be difficult to catch in a photo cosmetic damage that is easily seen by naked eye. So I was thinking more along the lines of "it is visible in a photo, it is obvious; if not visible, I don't know."

Perhaps OP just has buyer's remorse, but I give him the benefit of the doubt since we are talking about $80,000 here and high expectations are expected. Mostly though I agree with AB4EJ: CPO is not new, and customers have to make an individual decision whether the wear&tear is worth the discount. And then live with their decision.

Right. If you see any white dots that's the damage my iPhone cannot quite focus in on. Basically it's hundreds of sand-blasted tiny blemishes that ruin paint and glass. Hard to see but nevertheless present and devalues the vehicle.

The other stuff is minimal. Paint and glass is major and ironically, I had a Maserati a few years back that I was caught in a sandstorm in Palm Springs. It did exactly the same thing to the front paint and glass and took 2 months to fix and billed my insurance 21K.

My windshield started micropitting in the first few months. Had I known there were windshield issues I would have requested a replacement.

With CPO cars, caveat emptor unfortunately. Remember that a lot of CPO hubs and service centers are staffed with former stealership personnel.

Should I choose a CPO for the next chariot, my default position will be to hope all is well but to be fully prepared to not accept the car if it is in any way not as represented *or* as expected.

It's a shame that it has to be this way, but when it's my money and depreciation and lost time having to fix things that shouldn't have to be fixed, that's the way it is.

Good luck to the OP. Tesla has an opportunity to make it right. They usually do. Hopefully you won't have to escalate to a regional manager or further up the chain to reach some sort of reasonable accommodation.

The whole reason to buy CPO is for the C part. Makeup on the headliner? Really?

Here are some of the minor issues. A small seat tear, scratched leather in seats, and scraped floor trim. These dont bother me as much as it is used, but paint needs to be in excellent condition for a CPO car.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    FullSizeRender (7).jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 112
  • FullSizeRender (8).jpg
    FullSizeRender (8).jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 100
  • FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 102
My 2013 S85 has a horribly pitted windshield. Makes me wonder what kind of cheap glass did Tesla use?! No previous car I ever owned showed this problem.

I also have rock chips in the windshield glass; one chip is turning into a crack. So I am not toooo upset as I figure that crack will grow and when it gets bad insurance will pay for a new windshield. I hope.

Thanks Tao! You could tell "Jennifer" wore high heels that scraped the floor trim when getting in car as well. They erased her name that we saw on screen when demoing car for us.

If you could see the previous owners name on a profile, that means the SC didn't properly prepare the car for delivery. They're suppose to do a reset to bring the software back to factory defaults. That's bad. Do you have addresses in the NAV?

If you could see the previous owners name on a profile, that means the SC didn't properly prepare the car for delivery. They're suppose to do a reset to bring the software back to factory defaults. That's bad. Do you have addresses in the NAV?

I didn't see any but will take another look today. I did notice last night when I was programming garage remote that the name came up on the steering wheel screen.

I can identify with what you are experiencing. I've bought new and used, and turned in lease vehicles, etc. Realistically, the only car you can expect (demand) to be perfect is a new one.... and having worked in an assembly plant for 15 years, I know that even a vehicle new from the factory can have a lot of blemishes (due to stuff that happens at the factory).

I don't know the details of Tesla's representation of what a CPO car is expected to be. If you were led to believe it should be "like new," then you have to press them to make it so. (Do they really say that in writing?)

My experience with buying CPO (Mercedes, Toyota), was that they were trying to make the car as nice as possible, but there is some normal wear and tear. Maybe that is in the eye of the beholder; but in each case, I felt I was getting a car with most of its usable life still remaining, but at a substantial discount (i.e., a good value), such that minor imperfections were not an issue to me.

So, in short, I feel your pain, but if you want new, you have to pay for new.

I don't believe the OP stated that he/she wanted or expected "new".