Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Impression with AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. After a year of planning and a month of waiting I finally pick up my 70D this afternoon in Las Vegas. I have read the posts on AP and although I am an East Coast driver, I am careful. So, here is my ride home from Vegas on I-15

Waited until out of city traffic and used AP, very light traffic. Traveling 80 in a 75 zone. Left lane. No problems. Did great. Kept hands on or near wheel. No screwing around. After around 50 miles of traveling, I moved into right lane. Drove past a rest stop area and car jerked into the exit lane. I admit that I was relaxed (isn't that what its for?), but the sudden departure off the expressway doing 80mph was scary. No traffic, so I just took control and used entrance ramp to re enter expressway. Almost every time I came to exit ramp while in right lane, I had to take control.

I ran into Tesla employees at supercharger and told them the story. They acknowledged the tendency and told me a fix was coming.

Do not relax, especially in right lane!! What a day. Love my new car.

Hi all. After a year of planning and a month of waiting I finally pick up my 70D this afternoon in Las Vegas. I have read the posts on AP and although I am an East Coast driver, I am careful. So, here is my ride home from Vegas on I-15

Waited until out of city traffic and used AP, very light traffic. Traveling 80 in a 75 zone. Left lane. No problems. Did great. Kept hands on or near wheel. No screwing around. After around 50 miles of traveling, I moved into right lane. Drove past a rest stop area and car jerked into the exit lane. I admit that I was relaxed (isn't that what its for?), but the sudden departure off the expressway doing 80mph was scary. No traffic, so I just took control and used entrance ramp to re enter expressway. Almost every time I came to exit ramp while in right lane, I had to take control.

I ran into Tesla employees at supercharger and told them the story. They acknowledged the tendency and told me a fix was coming.

Do not relax, especially in right lane!! What a day. Love my new car.

I would think that is where the crowd-sourcing of the lane-detail will come in really handy. They could do a weighted average of how many people correct at that area and pass it along as the preferred choice for other drivers. All in all, very very impressed with driver assistance on 3-4 lane highways (6-8 both ways). DO NOT use on 2 lane roads with double yellow lines and no median. Yes it will let you, but just say no.

People have been finding that as time goes on, the car will make the correct decision on those freeway off ramps. The car learns over time. So, if you keep driving in the right lane, correct it when it wants to exit, and you will be helping the system learn.

Test drove today. I found AP to be better than I expected -

- Rested hands on wheel the entire time (except one "look at me"). It felt very natural and relaxing once I got past the panic.

- It did pull into the right lane when there was an exit. As I had my hands on the wheel I could tell when it was happening and that it was more than a little adjustment. Quickly gave control back to me. Didn't feel strange at all.

- In city traffic, it did try to follow a car around a corner when I wanted to go straight. Again, hands rested on the wheel and could feel what was happening and easily turned control back to me.

- TACC was a bit scary, wasn't convinced it would slow from 75 to upcoming ~45 mph traffic, but it did.

- Felt like it was hugging center lane, but when I looked in rear camera (when I was driving) and leaned into the center (when I had back seat passenger shift) it really looked like it was centered pretty well. It did depend a bit on if the right edge of the road had a line or not.

I am very satisfied with AP after driving a few hundred miles with it over the past week+. I actually specifically tested it for right lanes and went through 20+ exist over a couple trips. What I found is that on the overwhelming majority of exits, it would veer VERY SLIGHTLY to the right but stay in the highway lane, so no issues. However on 15% of exits, it tries to take the exit. So I agree it's good to keep your hand on the wheel just to make sure on exits if you are traveling on the right lane. This issue is more pronounced if the road just happens to be turning right; in that case the car would almost certainly take the exit. Again, putting your hands on the wheel for 5 seconds around the exit completely resolves the problem.

I think it would be great if they work on this as their next important fix. After this is fixed, highway travel will basically be perfect.

I'm pretty technically inclined, and I have no idea how the car is learning, but it does. I have this spot around my house where it always wanted to turn into the curb. The last few day's its learned and no longer heads towards that curb anymore. Very cool.

Got to try AP in a loaner the last two days. Very impressive. It does tend to hug the right lane line a bit. And if you were being followed by a cop they might think you're drunk based on a few steering corrections that the AP makes. For me, it only took a few trips to begin trusting the system in certain situations. But there are many situations!

It is actually learning re: exits. A lot less likely to happen on most roads including my commuter highways today vs when AP was first released. I can tell you it is handling areas hands free, in which those areas upon initial release were throwing takeover alarms.